Post Thanks / Like

First Time With Makita

So I got my new Makita Rotary polisher on friday and had some time to play with it. It came with a couple of pads which I haven`t used yet and a small duffel bag to store it in, which is nice. I used LC 7 1/2 Polishing pad and varied between Menzerna Power Gloss, IP, and FPII. I worked all products at 1500RPM after i got used to the polisher at a slower speed. I tried the polisher with the side handle (like the handle on the PC), the top handle, and with no handle. After limited use with each I think I like the top handle the best with no handle coming in second. I found for me It worked best if I sprayed the pad with some QD and the applied the product to the pad. Next I would spead the product in the area that I was working in and then start the machine. I used the QD because it was a little hard changing direction, so the QD seemed to make the pad glide a little better. All in all the machine is great, I dont think it is to heavy at all but i carry nailguns and saws around on a regular basis at my full time job.

I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions on how to change directions without it feeling like the pad is catching, basically how to make the pad glide across the paint like it does with the PC. Also how much pressure do you put on the pad when buffing? I tried it a few differant ways and had ok success but I am curios as to what some of the expierienced users do.

Please feel free to comment on my process and make any suggestions. I am taking a buffing school in about a month, but i am so excited about making big turnarounds on customer cars that I what to learn as much as I can .

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First Time With Makita

I have no rotary experience yet but I`ll see you in a month at the school

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First Time With Makita

ahh. that got me the first time too. if u notice depending which direction u`re moving it, the pc gives a lil struggle. i guess thats because of the direction its slowly turning. well i assume since the rotory is actually just moving one direction and all u really need is a lil more pull. dont worry about scratching the paint. it hasnt happened to me. its been a hectic time lately with the rotory but it definately gets easier everytime.

Thread Information