Post Thanks / Like

Cleaning of Pads

Do you more experienced and professional detailers clean your pads after each use, even if you use the same product on the same pad.

I am wondering if I can just store my pads saturated with product in Zip lock bags until the next use. I see that Meguire`s recommends that you not clean their pads just tap the dry resedue out of them.

So what`s the advice of you Pro`s

Pinnacle Detailing Owner GregCavi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cleaning of Pads

WEll i follow the rule never let your product dry in the pads. I will always soak my pads in a bucket of car shampoo for a while and then agitate them. After they are clean i liek to throw them in the wash for a quick rinse. After that I usually let them air dry but sometimes when im in a hurry i will run them in the dryer on low heat for a while.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

I clean my terry apps in the washer, no fabric softner. You could probably get a metal brush and kinda brush the product outta the pad so its not so caked in.

All About The Bling Bling TrueDetailer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I use wool pads so i just spur mine out until they need to be washed. For you i guess your using foam.I don`t see why you can`t use them a few times and store them.

Post Thanks / Like

If I am using the pads within a few days to a week, I store them in a zip-lock and just reuse them. anylonger than that and I wash them out with Dawn and warm water and let dry.
    If they sit in a sealed zip-lock for too long they can become moldy (grow green fuzzy stuff) They also seem to lose some of their firmness.
    Just my .02
    It`s what you learn after you know it all that counts ... John Wooden

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Re: Cleaning of Pads

After my weekend detail, I tried a new method for cleaning my terry applicators & badly stained Meguiar`s pads.

I put them in a bucket with PB`s Biodegradable APC @ 2 oz. to 3-4 gallons of hot water, & let them sit for 1/2 hour while I rinsed my microfibers. Then I agitated them a little, & squeezed as much product out as possible & rinsed them til the water was mostly clear.

Then I zipped them into a "lingerie" bag & tossed them in the washing machine with the microfibers. I used a mix of woolite & Oxyclean liquid on the "Gentle" cycle & added 1/4 cup of vinegar to the second rinse.

I dried them in the dryer until just damp & left them out to finish air drying.

I can`t see any obvious damage to the velcro, and they are like new, with the exception of the SSR stains!
    Don`t it always seem to go, you don`t know what you`ve got til it`s gone?
    WAC
    06/04/40 ~ 07/16/07

Post Thanks / Like

i washed some foam app pads i have in the washer with my MF`s and they turned out fine. Before i did that though, i scrubbed them in a sink of hot water and dawn, to remove the big stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.autogeek.net/dp730.html Check this pad rejuvenator, comes with free bonnets right now- if its free its for me!
    That looks the same as this stuff (Snappy Clean), but the Snappy Clean Pad Cleaning Powder is cheaper
    http://www.autogeek.net/snappytool.html

Livin' the good life
    Post Thanks / Like

I wash after every detail `cause I believe the abrasives in some polishes will remain in the pad if you don`t work the product properly & break-down the abrasives.

Why take a chance on fritzing-up the paint more than it already is. People are so concerned with using a manual device like the waterblade but don`t think twice about using a pad with possible dried-in product.

I think using a soiled pad is more likely to cause problems.
    There`s a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

Post Thanks / Like

I soak my pads in the wash sink, rinse them by hand, and put them in the wash on a spin cycle- every time. They are almost perfectly dry right out of the washer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by truckerbaer
    That looks the same as this stuff (Snappy Clean), but the Snappy Clean Pad Cleaning Powder is cheaper
    http://www.autogeek.net/snappytool.html
    Just FYI, 16oz DP versus 16 oz of Snappy Clean - DP is $3.84 cheaper

Post Thanks / Like

You guys are putting your pads in the washing machine? I`ve never done/considered that.

I wash mine with APC/hot water mix most time. Sometimes I`ll use Tide or Woolite, but I don`t think they degrease your pads as well as APC.

I usually have a bucket on hand during a job to clean & spin dry on the machine as I go. I`ll let them air dry, then pack them away in zip lock bags for storage.

If I had to buy MF and pad specific detergent I`d be in the poor house

Post Thanks / Like

Just to clarify, i dont wash my pads in the washing machine, i do em by hand, but i spin them dry in the washer, or the pc if i only used 1.

Detail City Fire Rescue Gonzo0903's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Re: Cleaning of Pads

I clean my pads after every use. I spray the pads with Zep`s Citrus cleaner mixed 50/50 with water, then put them in warm water in a spare wash bucket to loosen up the polishing compound residues. I let them soak for an hour or so, then rinse them with warm water and spin dry therm on the PC if I need them the next day; air dry them if I have nothing scheduled for a while. I still have the original set of CMA pads that I ordered when I got my PC two years ago, and with this cleaning method they have held up beautifully.

I do the same for my 3M rotary polisher pads. :shift
    2007 Ford Edge, 2006 Mustang GT, 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2001 Ford F150 Supercrew, 2001 Ford Mustang... A clean car is a happy car!

Thread Information