Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Comprehensive Opti-Coat 2.0 Application Guide

Quote Originally Posted by tropicsteve View Post
    great write up todd. i really like the look of the finish.
    I have heard people say (mainly the guys from Optimum) that it doesn`t add too much to the surface in terms of aesthetics, but I feel like it gives the paint a glossy wet look as do a lot of people who have used it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    My understanding is the results (hardness, shine, protection) are identical between Opti-Guard and Opti-Coat 2.0

I think shelf life is going to be variable on how much air is allowed to react with the Opti-Coat. I still have the original Opti-Coat from 2 years ago and it works great, but I am careful about exposing it to air. (More on this in a second).

That said I have a friend who received the original Opti-Coat around the same time and his hardened to a solid piece of resin.

Here is how I keep from exposing the contents in the syringe to air (benefits of being a diabetic). There is a small amount of air in the syringe to begin with. Keep this air. When you squeeze the Opti-Coat 2.0 from the syringe do it with the plunger side facing up. When you invert the syringe the air bubble will naturally travel to the top (against the plunger). If it doesn`t, flick the syringe with your finger (this is why you see nurses do this before they inject a shot).

Keep some Opti-Coat 2.0 in the tip at all times. When you are done with your application point the needle side towards the sky. The originally air bubble will now travel towards the top to the tip (which is still filled with fluid that has been exposed to outside air). Now push a small amount of your original air bubble out to clean any exposed fluid from the tip. Now remove the tip with the screw on cap and you are done.
    Thanks for the info Todd!

So long as the solution hasn`t hardened to a resin then it should be good to use right? Do you have a picture that shows us how it should look like when the resin is beginning to harden? Also, so long as you fully screw in the black cap then the syringe is completely sealed off from the air outside?

So when you transfer OC2.0 to a spray bottle, put the unused portion in a cup to be sucked back into the syringe, won`t the solution have already reacted with air?
    2011 SEMA Meguiar`s Car Crazy Showcase Team

Post Thanks / Like

Great write up Todd!

I`ve for Eraser to be my go to wipe-down product as well. I also agree with Troy on the CarPro block wrapped with the suede MF towel for application...for most surfaces anyway. Plastic trim, wheels, and door jambs seem to work best with the supplied foam.

I feel it gives the paint a "glassy" look.

I`ve only used the 2.0 on one car, but with Opti-Guard, on a warmer days I`d say you have less than a minute to knock down high spots...IME at least. I`ll likely be using the 2.0 this weekend with temps in the 90`s.

Rasky

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    Great write up Todd!

I`ve for Eraser to be my go to wipe-down product as well.
    Agreed. I wonder if Optimum is working on a product like Eraser.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    I heard they were...think it was mentioned on L2D...

Post Thanks / Like

How long after Dr Colorchip application can OC2.0 be used? Also, can Dr. Colorchip be used sometime after OC2.0 is applied?

Optimum Product Support Chris@Optimum's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PPLd View Post

I m wondering if anyone have ever tried to apply OC with a 4 inch pad and DA? While we still prime pad and apply product to pad like we do for foam applicator, will DA make OC applied more evenly?

Dennis P.

Thank you Dennis.

I have not applied Opti-Coat with a DA polisher, but I have thought about for testing purposes. I am sure, when I have the time, I will give it a shot. I will make sure to report back.
    This is not a good idea, guys. OC has no lubricity, will flash faster via machine, and will likely allow the pad to mar as it becomes "tacky". OC should only be applied by wiping on, or by spraying on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
    Thanks for the info Todd!

So long as the solution hasn`t hardened to a resin then it should be good to use right? Do you have a picture that shows us how it should look like when the resin is beginning to harden? Also, so long as you fully screw in the black cap then the syringe is completely sealed off from the air outside?

So when you transfer OC2.0 to a spray bottle, put the unused portion in a cup to be sucked back into the syringe, won`t the solution have already reacted with air?
    Optimum Coatings are very reactive so the syringe is the perfect "storage" solution. However, you can certainly transfer the coating to another device for application. The resin will harden in the sprayer if not returned to the syringe and will likely clog the nozzle if not removed before drying. Regarding reactivty, Optimum Coatings will polymerize in the presence of moisture...not air, but the moisture in the air. So you can leave it in a container for a week or so if it`s small and sealed. We do recommend transfering it back to the syringe for storage.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    Yes, I`m testing it now and it works well. It even seems to make the coating more reactive and it flashes a little faster in its concentrated version. I like this because I started out with the pro version and didn`t care for how long the consumer version took to flash. It will most likely be dilutable up to 3:1 so you can tune it to your application.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@Optimum View Post
    This is not a good idea, guys. OC has no lubricity, will flash faster via machine, and will likely allow the pad to mar as it becomes "tacky". OC should only be applied by wiping on, or by spraying on.
    Thanks for the feedback Chris.
    Guess it is not a good idea for taking out the machine. Nevertheless the Opti-Coat is very easy to use so it is no big deal to wipe it lightly with hands

Post Thanks / Like

Optimum Coatings are very reactive so the syringe is the perfect "storage" solution. However, you can certainly transfer the coating to another device for application. The resin will harden in the sprayer if not returned to the syringe and will likely clog the nozzle if not removed before drying. Regarding reactivty, Optimum Coatings will polymerize in the presence of moisture...not air, but the moisture in the air. So you can leave it in a container for a week or so if it`s small and sealed. We do recommend transfering it back to the syringe for storage.
    Thanks for the info Chris!!

So, when the coating is out, let`s just say it starts the hardening process and it ends at around 3-5% before you transfer it back to the syringe. Since the polymerization already started, will it continue even if there`s no moisture present? Or will it stop since there`s no moisture?

As for the air bubble inside the syringe, will this start the hardening? I know that you need to remove as much air as possible but I don`t think you can remove it completely. Will it, over time, harden the OC inside the syringe?

Do you have a picture of a coating inside the syringe that started to harden? So we know what to look out for?

What`s an indication that the product has gone bad?
    2011 SEMA Meguiar`s Car Crazy Showcase Team

Post Thanks / Like

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvj80cB2HLc]Opti-Coat 2.0 Application - YouTube[/ame]

New video added at the end of the first post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot Todd, this will be of much help when I start using the Opticoat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
    Thanks for the info Chris!!

So, when the coating is out, let`s just say it starts the hardening process and it ends at around 3-5% before you transfer it back to the syringe. Since the polymerization already started, will it continue even if there`s no moisture present? Or will it stop since there`s no moisture?

As for the air bubble inside the syringe, will this start the hardening? I know that you need to remove as much air as possible but I don`t think you can remove it completely. Will it, over time, harden the OC inside the syringe?

Do you have a picture of a coating inside the syringe that started to harden? So we know what to look out for?

What`s an indication that the product has gone bad?
    If you have left over product that you`ve transfered into a bottle for application and you do not intend to use it in a few days, you should not wait a few days to transfer it back into the syringe...do that as soon as possible.

After returning a portion back into the syringe, you may need to check for the next few days to make sure there is not air forming inside. When exposed to the moisture in air (varies in climate and seasons) the product will give of gas as it polymerizes. If this happens in inside the syringe, the plunger will expand as a result. If the air is not released and the moisture content is high enough, the plunger can be forced out of the end and the product may be lost.

There won`t be enough activity to make the product go bad or start to harden in the syringe, just watch to make sure the air doesn`t expand..and just let it out if it does. You will only have to watch it for a couple of days after the transfer...any moisture should be neutralized by then.

Post Thanks / Like

Opti-Coat 2.0 Application - YouTube

New video added at the end of the first post
    Great video Todd!

Post Thanks / Like

If you have left over product that you`ve transfered into a bottle for application and you do not intend to use it in a few days, you should not wait a few days to transfer it back into the syringe...do that as soon as possible.

After returning a portion back into the syringe, you may need to check for the next few days to make sure there is not air forming inside. When exposed to the moisture in air (varies in climate and seasons) the product will give of gas as it polymerizes. If this happens in inside the syringe, the plunger will expand as a result. If the air is not released and the moisture content is high enough, the plunger can be forced out of the end and the product may be lost.

There won`t be enough activity to make the product go bad or start to harden in the syringe, just watch to make sure the air doesn`t expand..and just let it out if it does. You will only have to watch it for a couple of days after the transfer...any moisture should be neutralized by then.
    Thanks for being an asset to this forum Chris!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information