Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Does the synergy really work?

Obviously there’s a bias in this sub forum to optimum products. (I use and love ONR)

and finally after years and thousands of dollars (always trying different products and chemicals) I thought I’d arrived at the “best for me” “system”.

that “system” is the traditional decon, iron remove, clay, polish, sealant, wax topper. Not looking for perfect paint, just a reasonably “gently used” finish, shiny paint, clear glass, shiny tires. Rupes machines, polish and pads. Jescar sealant, collinite. It works, I’m happy EXCEPT…….

im getting older. My love and dedicating to detailing is waning. And while I still appreciate a nice looking car my time is my most valuable commodity. Once it’s gone, it’s gone and I can’t get it back.

of course I lied that I found the perfect system and still keep “up to date” lol. Detailers curse right?

anyhow I have been watching a lot of Ivan on you tube (his detailer academy stuff). He really focuses on time management. Although he no longer pushes any products specifically (with the exception of the pad washer)he was heavily invested with optimum.

optimum seems to be what I’m truly after. Synergistic products and less time? Is this true or marketing hype? (They don’t really market their stuff.

‘’I though about switching to a coating but don’t want the added “maintenance” of a coating.

‘’the gloss coat looks good. I also like the optimum process (onr wash, iron x and clay towel all in one step) as well as the spray polish concept. It all seems way more thought out and efficient.

so is it all optimum says it is? If so why aren’t we all doing it? Why are guys like me still kickin it old school?

I like Ivan’s “pick a polish you like and use it”. Philips is kinda the same. The best product is the one you use. Pick something and master it.

I’ve mastered my process it’s just that it’s just too much investment of my time.

it’s not only combining steps, but opti seal is spray and walk away as opposed to jescar. Apply , wait a half hour then buff. There’s some time saved. Collinite is great but again apply, wait, buff off. Optimum spray wax is way easier.

have you switched exclusively to optimum? Why? Why not?

or did you “jet koon do” the system and take what’s useful and discard other? Why? Why not?
    Likes craigdt liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Does the synergy really work?

I take whats useful or what I like the best of each brand.
    I don`t do coatings yet, but have yet to run into things not playing nice together.

Here`s most of my non-LSPs and polishes. You see many brands represented. 2 from Optimum.

Time is incredibly valuable to me as well, and just want things to work and have an enjoyable time with them.

Likes Dan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Product synergy is really about saving time and money. You can go to one product maker and ask them what they recommend of their products as well as guidance on their use. Once you cross product manufacturers, you don’t have a single source to ask, you’d have to rely on yourself and the feedback of others. Like Craigdt mentioned, there usually aren’t issues utilizing multiple products but there are exceptions, especially around coatings. So it depends on what you like. Many on here try many different products to find what they like best but that takes more time and money but is part of the hobby. Others may just want to find a good product line to stick to so they don’t have to think about it much.
    Likes CleanIt liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yvan is a promoter. He used to have his own shop, and he clearly worked hard to maximize his time, and put that knowledge to use when he was promoting Optimum products (which is what he used in his shop). So sure, the synergy really works.

I was disappointed that they dropped the cream polishes and now only have the spray polishes, I particularly miss Poli-Seal; I find GPS to be a poor substitute. The spray polishes are a good idea; in practice I found that while trying to spray the pad I would routinely spray the machine, my arm, the car, the side of the house, etc. The worst part is if you`re not using them all the time, they dry out, clog up the sprayer, and the sprayer physically breaks. Plus the solvent used smells unpleasant and the odor lingers, especially on your hands.

As far as Opti-Seal, once WOWA sealants came out in 2007 I thought they would displace all other sealants, but I was clearly wrong. But it doesn`t get much easier than using ONRWW every week, and following it with Opti-Seal once a month. The great thing about Opti-Seal is you can use it on everything, paint, trim, chrome, glass, and not worry about staining anything (of course you still have to be careful with your glass to not get a smeary mess, but it`s easy to clean up...I think). Of course don`t listen to me, I can`t remember the last time I used my Opti-Seal. I have been using my original formula ONRWW to wash though, generally.
    Likes JustJesus, Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`d love to stick to one brand but there isn`t a single brand that covers a quarter of the products I like. Optimum has a nice wash, I love OCW and Optiseal, and liked Opticoat when I was able to buy it. Their polishes and trim products were so bad that I won`t try them again even if they were given to me for free.

Post Thanks / Like

You can get synergy with any brand I would say. I`m a minimalist and my approach to detailing is having as few of products as possible. Products that can do multiple jobs are winners in my book. I love ONR for glass, RW, and interiors. One product covering 3 purposes. You can also add Optimum Protectant Plus to ONR for added protection.

I`m currently using more Carpro/Gyeon products at the moment - Can Coat, Reset and Hydro2. I technically only need 4 products at most on my shelf to maintain my car.

I do like Optimum even though I think there are better products on the market now. Opti Seal is fantastic on glass and pretty much any surface on interior or exterior. I also like that Optimum doesn`t over market their products with hype. They`re also made in the U.S.

People these days (maybe always?) chase hydrophobics more than anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Optimum has a nice wash...Their polishes...were so bad that I won`t try them again even if they were given to me for free.
    Really? Which vintage? The original ones (2007-ish?) were nothing to write home about, and I haven`t tried the newest ones (white compound, orange). I`m talking about when the spray compound was blue and the spray polish was pink...and the creams of that vintage. I always found those easy to work with (long work time), and that they did a good job. But I haven`t bought any polishes in forever so I don`t know what the current favorites (Griot`s, Sonax?) are like.

Post Thanks / Like

I am in the age bracket where saving time, money and energy are important factors. It didn`t used to be that way at all! Anyway, I have been on a mission to optimize my process as well. Generally speaking, I am big proponent of "outsourcing knowledge, meaning I trust those who have experience and knowledge in a given area that I am interested in but don`t have the motivation to extensively research myself. Yvan is one of those people I trust. Matt Morman for example is not.
    I don`t strive too much for synergy within a product line, but I do follow a lot of what Yvan says. For example, I am pretty much 100% rinseless washes now (for paint). I still use foam for my wheel process. I trust both Yvan and the science he sights when describing the benefits to rinseless vs. traditional soap, especially when it comes to minimizing marring when drying. I also use Opti Seal as a sealant and "drying aid" as he demonstrates in a few of his vids.
    I still bounce around between a few products in an effort to really dial in my process and there is part of me that enjoys trying new things. However, the part of me that doesn`t mind ordering hundreds of dollars worth of products to try only to use them once is long gone.
    Likes CleanIt liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I`m talking about when the spray compound was blue and the spray polish was pink....... But I haven`t bought any polishes in forever so I don`t know what the current favorites (Griot`s, Sonax?) are like.
    I only sampled the blue and pink sprays. I liked them enough, but it was at a time when i was trying anything and everything! Those spray polishes sat and sat. I managed to save them for a bit longer, after putting a small metal bearing in them, shaking the snot out of them every day for a week or so, and sticking the sprayer head in hot water to clean out the clogging. It worked for a short bit, but eventually they got tossed. Maybe not an issue if you use them daily?

I started buying "new to me" polishes. I can say many of the new stuff are great. Some of the old stuff is still great.

The main reason I buy various products, is to see what works best for me in my environment. I got along quite well with Megs M105, when i was starting off, but from one day to the next, from one city to another, it could react differently. Sure, mist some DI water and increase working time. Cycle less and you have less dusting. To me, though, that just doesn`t do it. Give me something that works consistently in just about all MY cases, and I`m happy.

hahaha.... also, i just like trying new things!

edit: Oh, and I have tried OPT`s synergy with ONR, their iron remover, their clay towel and it works well enough. I just can`t get passed using an iron remover product without actually rinsing it off. I did that synergy using rinseless wash style.

Post Thanks / Like

Really? Which vintage? The original ones (2007-ish?) were nothing to write home about, and I haven`t tried the newest ones (white compound, orange). I`m talking about when the spray compound was blue and the spray polish was pink...and the creams of that vintage. I always found those easy to work with (long work time), and that they did a good job. But I haven`t bought any polishes in forever so I don`t know what the current favorites (Griot`s, Sonax?) are like.
    Yep, around then. And then I tried GPS spray about 5 or so years later. I seem to always buy cars with hard clear and while easy to use none of the products did anything. Optibond might be on my short list of worst products ever.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grambow View Post
    I trust both Yvan and the science he sights when describing the benefits to rinseless vs. traditional soap, especially when it comes to minimizing marring when drying.
    I`m sorry but that is some hocus pocus BS. Traditional washing with a pressure washer and 1 bucket for me means no need to polish unless I get marring from something rubbing up against my finish. With ONR the swirls slowly arrive. No amount of magic in a bottle is a match for dirt and sand.
    Likes CleanIt, 981 Cayman S liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, around then. And then I tried GPS spray about 5 or so years later. I seem to always buy cars with hard clear and while easy to use none of the products did anything. Optibond might be on my short list of worst products ever.
    Ha...that was certainly the complaint about the blue spray compound, not enough cut, I never used it for anything too demanding and it seemed just right for the things I used it for. And I liked Opti-Bond as a tire dressing, the one or 2 times I used it before going back to try to use up stuff I liked less. I have been using the Opti Gelcoat Restorer as a tire coating more recently, since I bought a quart of it to try it as a clear coat restorer (I know they have a real clear coat restorer, too long to get into), and had tons left over, and it looked just like the tire coating and seems to work fine as that...so who knows if I will ever get back to using that Opti-Bond.

Post Thanks / Like

Ha...that was certainly the complaint about the blue spray compound, not enough cut, I never used it for anything too demanding and it seemed just right for the things I used it for. And I liked Opti-Bond as a tire dressing, the one or 2 times I used it before going back to try to use up stuff I liked less. I have been using the Opti Gelcoat Restorer as a tire coating more recently, since I bought a quart of it to try it as a clear coat restorer (I know they have a real clear coat restorer, too long to get into), and had tons left over, and it looked just like the tire coating and seems to work fine as that...so who knows if I will ever get back to using that Opti-Bond.
    My issue with the optibond was that is didn’t make it through a rain. Compare to AA gel which can be had at any Walmart and is 1/2 the price, oh and lasts through at least a few rainy drives…. you have why I hate the stuff.

Premium name, premium price, sub par results.

Post Thanks / Like

My issue with the optibond was that is didn’t make it through a rain. Compare to AA gel which can be had at any Walmart and is 1/2 the price, oh and lasts through at least a few rainy drives…. you have why I hate the stuff.

Premium name, premium price, sub par results.
    The thing that I liked about Opti-Bond was it seemed completely non-greasy, which made no sense, because according to the MSDS, the ingredients are exactly the same as the Optimum Tire Shine, which is definitely greasy.

Post Thanks / Like

The thing that I liked about Opti-Bond was it seemed completely non-greasy, which made no sense, because according to the MSDS, the ingredients are exactly the same as the Optimum Tire Shine, which is definitely greasy.
    I did like that aspect, it is similar to CG VRP, which also dries non greasy. That reminded me of that hokey harbor freight spray gun they used to sell with it... spray this stuff everywhere!!!! lol. I also remembered how polarizing the product was, heck, I think I probably have some glowing review of it somewhere of mine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information