Post Thanks / Like

Apply Gloss-Coat with different applicator?

Is there any reason I couldn`t use a block foam applicator with a micro suede cloth like one would get from CarPro for example? For some reason I just feel more comfortable using the straight line/cross hatch technique for application than the circular technique to ensure complete coverage and the block/suede applicator seems like a better option for this.

Thanks
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Apply Gloss-Coat with different applicator?

Whatever floats your boat. You know that Optimum makes their own version of the block/microsuede applicator.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used it with both the included blue foam applicator and the suede applicator and block. They both work. I found the blue foam applicator to work better. You don`t have to apply in small circles with the foam applicator. You can still do a cross hatch.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies. I did see the Optimum foam block after some more searching. Maybe I`ll test a spot with the included applicator first. The other thing is it seems the foam drags more or at least that`s what I have noticed applying Opti-Seal with the included foam applicator on my previous, un-coated, car. I`m just worried about wasting product trying both applicators. Even though I got the 20cc bottle it still doesn`t seem like much. lol

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EKhatch View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I did see the Optimum foam block after some more searching. Maybe I`ll test a spot with the included applicator first. The other thing is it seems the foam drags more or at least that`s what I have noticed applying Opti-Seal with the included foam applicator on my previous, un-coated, car. I`m just worried about wasting product trying both applicators. Even though I got the 20cc bottle it still doesn`t seem like much. lol
    EKhatch --

I have very successfully used the Orange Foam Rectangular Sponge from TufShine for years for Coating application..
    It is just the right size for your hand, its slightly curved in the middle so it fits your hand more naturally, does not absorb easily, and is flexible enough to get anywhere you need to go and make straight as well as any other shaped passes you want to do with it.

It is of course, outstanding to use with TufShine ClearCoat for Tires and anything you pour on it initially will want to run off, the foam is that tight.. Of course, if you put a little line of liquid on it and rub it in, it will absorb it and hold it on top of the foam very nicely..

I use this foam with a nice suede car pro little towel over it to get away from the way foam sometimes wants to stick to paintwork...

Hard to beat the price too !
    Good luck with your research ...
    Here is the link to the TufShine foam pad -- https://www.autopia-carcare.com/tuf-...l#.Wutj1qRAn3g
    Dan F
    Likes The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info Stokdgs. When I saw the price of the OPT foam block I was a little shocked. I mean it wasn`t crazy expensive but compared to what you linked to or the CarPro block and suede towels it is pretty far out there. I think the fact that the TufShine pad will conform to uneven panels makes it a very good option.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EKhatch View Post
    Thanks for the info Stokdgs. When I saw the price of the OPT foam block I was a little shocked. I mean it wasn`t crazy expensive but compared to what you linked to or the CarPro block and suede towels it is pretty far out there. I think the fact that the TufShine pad will conform to uneven panels makes it a very good option.
    EKhatch --
    Thanks for your reply !
    We have come a long way in applicators from what was available when the first Coating Optimum Opti-Guard, came out years ago..
    I personally do not want a hard piece of sponge or anything when coating or applying anything to automotive paintwork..

This little rectangular tight pore sponge is actually perfect for what I need, and since it does not absorb easily, it will save your expensive coating from being absorbed up in there and you cant get it all out again...

I used this sponge a long time with the TufShine ClearCoat product and it does an excellent job there and is easily rinsed out and ready to go for next time...
    I just buy a bunch whenever I place an order, since they are pretty inexpensive...

There may be more options out there but I dont have time to go looking at everything, and just try to find great products and stick with them, so I can get great results, and help support the company making them as long as I can..
    Dan F
    Likes EKhatch liked this post

Thread Information