Post Thanks / Like

Opti Seal vs Opti Glass Coating

I have been mostly using Opti Seal on glass lately with good results but after being super impressed with the Gloss Coat I put on the paint I decided to spring for some Opti Glass Coating.

The glass of my 8 month old Grand Cherokee was in pretty good shape already but I went through the routine of cleaning with 3M glass cleaner, then I clayed it, then polished it with some Meguiars glass polish made for removing water spots etc, then I cleaned it again with 3m and finally wiped it off with Optimum Paint Prep. At this point I noted the glass was very clean but not slick at all and it was pretty grabby with a micro fiber towel.

So I first tried the Opti Glass Coating on the included foam pad but to me it was way too thick and soaked up most of the product so I moved back to the Car Pro Foam coating applicator pads I like much better because they are so thin. I sprayed a few pumps on the pad to get it primed and started wiping the Opti Glass on the window but it acted as if it was disappearing or flashing off as soon as I wiped it. So I added a little more coating and kept trying but I never got to the point where it was as easy as using Opti Seal on glass (or paint) or as easy as Gloss Coat on paint. I kept at it and I could tell it was flashing off pretty fast so I got a new microfiber to wipe off the high spots and they did come off but it was quite difficult. It finally got it leveled off and just to make sure it covered well I did a second application and for sure this one was easier but still nothing as easy as Opti Seal.

Just to make sure it wasn`t conditions I went to a back glass and applied Opti seal and it was super easy like always with no fast flashing off etc. It was warm tonight in the garage but maybe low 80s and no sunlight as I was inside the garage and its dark outside.

Is this typical of Opti Glass or did I do something incorrect? Maybe I wasn`t using enough to wet out the surface and I was working with it too dry? I just didn`t want to create a mess so I stayed on the side of too little instead of too much. Maybe I am just spoiled with how easy Opti Seal is. I got everything on and off but it was a lot more work than I expected and a lot harder to work.

Thanks for anyone that can offer some advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Opti Seal vs Opti Glass Coating

It dries very fast and the applicator that comes with it is really grabby. I switched to the carpro orange suede mf and it worked much better.

Post Thanks / Like

The glass coating is grabby as previously stated. I used the provided foam applicator and it was grabby. Tried it with a car pro suede applicator and it worked much better. Still grabby but not as much as a foam applicator. I even tried the Gloss Coat blue applicator. With this applicator it was grabby but the next day I noticed the blue applicator had started to disintegrate and break down. So who knows what is in this stuff.

What I did when I switched over to the suede applicator was spray the applicator to prime it and then sprayed the glass as well. I worked in small areas. Basically dividing half of the glass into 4`s. It will flash fast. Once you get it on the glass it doesn`t need to be on there for that long. It works great once you get it on to the glass.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t know if this is "approved" or not but I did another windshield today and after applying the coating I started wiping it off and it was real grabby again as before so I spritzed a few drops of water on the glass and it greatly improved the ability to wipe off the glass easily.

Maybe someone can confirm this is not a problem. This is the same technique Rain X suggests if the glass starts to streak as you win it off the glass too.

Thread Information