Post Thanks / Like

Opticoat pro Q for a car friend

Recently sent a few samples to a car friend who had opti pro plus put on his tri coat white hellcat charger

He asked me a question i am not sure how to answer as I have never had any experience with this product...

Long story short he sent a buddy with a granite hellcat charger there for the same pro+ treatment and his friends car came back with water spots that they say were not previously there. (His white charger came out flawless he says.)

He said the detailer advised him this was water etching.

assuming they were not there before he was wondering if there was any way they could have showed up during coating or curing (which doesn`t seem probable to me, but i have no idea).

Even if the water spots were on the charger previously, wouldn`t it be reasonable to assume an opticoat pro plus installer would have taken care of that? Short of type2 etching of course but i believe him if he says the water spots were not there previously.

My buddy is going to talk to the owner today and I was hoping to get some feedback from the pros here on his situation.

He asked me specifically
    1) how could these water spots have happened?

2)how strong of a polish/pad does one need to remove this? (Which i recommended him not to do at this time)

Side note in that package I sent him some spotless and advised him to let his friend try that.

Thanks in advance.

-Brandt K.

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Opticoat pro Q for a car friend

Dunno about opti, but CQ can spot
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes 512detail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

If it was spotted prior to being coated they should have been addressed by the installer. He should not attempt to fix the problem himself and should bring it back to the OCP installer for evaluation.
    Likes 512detail, Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

we had a thread about this a few weeks back. water spots showing up after heating it up with a curing lamp.
    Likes 512detail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

2.3 - OPTI-COAT OR PAINT GUARD NEW AND USED VEHICLE WARRANTYTERMS

Optimum Polymer Technologies warrant to the owner of the nominated vehicle that if the Optimum Clear Coating (Paint Guard/Opti-Coat Pro/Opti-Coat Pro Plus) is unsatisfactory in its performance of protecting the vehicles factory paintwork from damage or etching from water spots, bird droppings, bug splatter, acid rain, industrial fall out; or UV damage / oxidation, whilst being maintained in accordance with the terms and conditions of this warranty, Optimum Polymer Technologies or its agents will at no cost to the owner repair and retreat the affected area.
    Likes 512detail, Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks 512detail, Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by donbeezy View Post
    we had a thread about this a few weeks back. water spots showing up after heating it up with a curing lamp.
    Yes, but OCP installers don`t IR cure the coating, so that shouldn`t apply here.
    Likes 512detail, donbeezy, Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks donbeezy thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!

I`m sure the installer will make it right. I figured there was some solid warranty or something of the same.

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

UPDATE:

I asked him if the installer took care of his friend... he replied

"yes.... sorta. i have not seen the car yet myself after it went back in, but my buddy said the part of the trunk that they stripped the OC off and polished with compound and recoated with OC looks perfect. he then left the car with them and when he picked up, he could still see water spots in the same places on the hood, roof, and the other half of the trunk that was not done in front of him. not as obvious as before, but still there. just a strange situation all the way around. the installer is a super nice guy that does not seem to be the type to [bs] you and not do what you pay for, but something is just not adding up.

my car came out amazing and my buddies car looks unbelievable when you look at it in the day light. it is only under intense lighting in the garage or shop can you see the spots. at this point my buddy is leaving the car alone. like i said, it looks amazing in the day light. 99% of people will never notice anything wrong with it. we are just overly critical."

any thoughts from you pro`s who install OC pro + ?

Brandt K.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it possible since you can only see the "spots" under intense lighting that that the owner never saw them in first place ?

If so, I still cannot understand why that Detailer would not have pointed them out, or called, as soon as he saw them and notified the Owner that there might be some additional work needed to perfectly clarify (to the level it can achieve), the paint..

Did the Detailer, when the Owner showed up to pick up the vehicle then, point out the defects under the coating before the Owner saw them ??

The other side of this is that the warranty from Optimum applies to the work done by "Authorized Installers" only....

Geez, why cant someone just fix this and the owner will be happy which is Customer Service 101 ???
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Is it possible since you can only see the "spots" under intense lighting that that the owner never saw them in first place ?

If so, I still cannot understand why that Detailer would not have pointed them out, or called, as soon as he saw them and notified the Owner that there might be some additional work needed to perfectly clarify (to the level it can achieve), the paint..

Did the Detailer, when the Owner showed up to pick up the vehicle then, point out the defects under the coating before the Owner saw them ??

The other side of this is that the warranty from Optimum applies to the work done by "Authorized Installers" only....

Geez, why cant someone just fix this and the owner will be happy which is Customer Service 101 ???
    Dan F
    Dan I am quite ignorant when it comes to OptiCoat

from what he has told me they didn`t see the water spots before the OCP+ treatment....but he says they are seeing them under intense lighting (which appears to NOT be from the installer but from this guys Garage) which begs the question, were they not there before?
    irrelevant i suppose - I don`t understand how this would even be happening and he told me he paid a pretty penny for this (which im sure is 1k or 1200 range from what I`ve seen on pricing online)

I`m wondering if they are below the OCP+ or IN it...but either way I really can`t provide him any advice so this is why I am posting here

These guys are very meticulous- I won`t name the company this guy owns but its a Very Well respected Modern Mopar performance parts company - so he expects 100%+ satisfaction and he said in fact he has made a deal with this detailer to send him more work.

he said his white charger has NO spots at all but his friends Granite one does

I`m at a loss honestly

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

oh and as far as I know he didn`t see these until he took them to their performance shop and inspected under strong lighting

Brandt K.

Thread Information