Post Thanks / Like

Opti-Coat 2, Still Fresh?

Hello all,

This is my first post out of the intro area, I`ve been wondering something for a while. Back in Feb of 2014, I ordered some chunder from detailersdomain. I got a little tube of Opticoat 2.0 and it has been sitting in its little bag ever since to this day.

Is it still fresh? Is the new Opti Gloss better? I`m thinking about tossing or selling this Opticoat 2.0 for the gloss variety. I`ve heard 2.0 is more protection than looks and has a rough feel on the paint (I may be way wrong).

I`d like looks, please check out my intro thread on the intro area to see my color, it`s a metallic deep blue. I`d prefer looks over extended protection when I have to reapply it later. I still plan to throw some wax over it before a show.

Thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Opti-Coat 2, Still Fresh?

I have used OC 2.0 and the look was great. The protection great but the feel, was not slick. Not the biggest deal.

I ordered the Gloss Coat and will be applying when the winter in NY ends (assuming it does in fact end)

Post Thanks / Like

Gloss-Coat looks and feels better (slicker), but OC 2.0 was considered permanent and Gloss-Coat is marketed as 2yrs.

I would personally try and unload the 2.0 in favor of GC. Most cars require polishing after the 2yr mark anyway so the idea of being permanent is kind of pointless.

Gloss-Coat has a very noticeable darkening effect, OC 2.0 does not.
    Likes Old Pirate, tropicsteve, Mr_P2R liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`d keep and use it. Concentrate on making the paint perfect and you`ll never look back. If you want slickness grab a bottle of Opt Instant Detailer.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!
    Likes Mr_P2R liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Opti-Coat 2, Still Fresh?

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    Gloss-Coat looks and feels better (slicker), but OC 2.0 was considered permanent and Gloss-Coat is marketed as 2yrs.

I would personally try and unload the 2.0 in favor of GC. Most cars require polishing after the 2yr mark anyway so the idea of being permanent is kind of pointless.

Gloss-Coat has a very noticeable darkening effect, OC 2.0 does not.
    Darkening effect? How would that go on my dark blue paint? Here is a sample of how it looks in the sun, bare clear coat

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting about the darkening, I`m rather opposed to that on my vehicles. (OK, OK, no I don`t coat the vehicles, just the wheels, but anyhow....)

The Feb. `14 OC 2.0 should still be fine. Heh heh, certainly assuming that mine still is and it`s probably older than that. My OC 1.0 was quite old, more than 12 months that`s for sure, when I used it up and it was OK.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

My experience with Opti-Guard-Pro-2.0, products is that as long as air is not introduced into the syringe, the product will not harden up (as it would on your vehicle), and will be good..
    If you are looking for more gloss and there is a way to really tell if there is more or less gloss, then perhaps the Opti-Gloss product is what will fill your needs, at the caveat of not being more permanent than the other products..

If you are like me and want a more permanent solution,could care less about "slickness" (is there a slick-o-meter to measure this?) with perfectly clear paintwork and gloss, then the Pro or 2.0, etc., products should be fine..

And, as has already said ad-nauseum, the Prep Work will really determine how clear and glossy your paint will look anyway..

Your paintwork looks great - love that color !

Good luck !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_P2R View Post
    Darkening effect? How would that go on my dark blue paint? Here is a sample of how it looks in the sun, bare clear coat
    Very well IMO! For me its a desirable trait. It would look deeper and wetter...even on perfectly prepped paint. Many waxes and sealants have this effect too, nothing new there. (see below)

Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Another pic of the darkening effect, borrowed from Wills.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I will end up going with gloss coat. Ive seen some more photos and it is very promising. Only thing left to do is find a local autopian to polish it first.. Thanks for your help guys!
    Likes RaskyR1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

One of my favorite uses for Opticoat 2.0 is the roof of a tall SUV or pick-up truck.
    It is my go-to for that roof. I do it once with Opticoat 2.0 and "forget about it".

Thread Information