Post Thanks / Like
    I recently purchased the Gilmour foam gun. I tried it for the first time the other day, and I`m having a hard time figuring out what all the hype is all about? It certainly isn`t exactly a "Green" product, as I used about ten times the normal amount of soap. I always use the two bucket washing method, and I wash in our inside wash bay, so I haven`t really had a scratching problem. I guess it might be beneficial if you`re washing an extremely dirty vehicle, but it seem to wash a lot of soap down the drain. I bought it because it seemed like a neat tool, but I don`t really see the point of it.

Just my two cents.

John

Optimum Product Support Chris@Optimum's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    It replaces the soap bucket in the two bucket system. It allows a quick way to presoak. It`s definitely not a "green" tool. Green methods would be waterless or rinseless wash products. As far as your using 10 times the normal amount of soap: In the tank mix 3:1 water to shampoo, then set the slider to the 3rd hole from the left (4:1). that`ll give you 1 oz per gallon on the vehicle and looks a little sumpin like diss:

I think I actually use less shampoo and water when I use mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by integritydetail
    It replaces the soap bucket in the two bucket system. It allows a quick way to presoak. It`s definitely not a "green" tool. Green methods would be waterless or rinseless wash products. As far as your using 10 times the normal amount of soap: In the tank mix 3:1 water to shampoo, then set the slider to the 3rd hole from the left (4:1). that`ll give you 1 oz per gallon on the vehicle and looks a little sumpin like diss:

I think I actually use less shampoo and water when I use mine.

can you post a picture of the setting on the gun? i just want to make sure mines set on the same settings as mines currently uses a lot of soap also...

Post Thanks / Like
    I dilute the canister with mostly water as well as using the smallest soap output on the slide to save on soap use.

It does have its place, especially on muddy vehicles or those that have not been waxed and have a lot of clinging grime on the sides of the vehicle (think rain, snow, light mud, etc).

Post Thanks / Like
    Although I almost always set my gun for the "normal" 1 oz/gal as Integrity Detail does (OMG! we agree on something!), many members dilute the soap down much more than that. I probably use 2 or 3 times as much as a bucket wash, I have never taken the time to try to dilute it down more and soak for longer...I have to do that one of these days.

If you`re tryin to be "green" by using less soap, and you`re in a shop, a pressure washer might be a better way to "pre-wash" and remove most of the dirt without soap. The whole idea of the foam gun is to loosen and float away some of the dirt before you grind it against the paint with your wash media, many pros seem to use a pressure washer for that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, we use a pressure washer in our shop. I haven`t really found the foam gun to be very benificial.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Noting that I`m probably the single greatest proponent of foamgun-centric washing, if you can wash marring-free without one I don`t see any reason to use it. Pretty big "if" IMO, but hey... :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    the Gilmour is Ok for foaming but not as effective as a foam cannon for a pressure washer....i run my Foam Cannon at its lowest setting basically and use about 1-2oz of soap per foaming....the foam is very thick and clings well allowing a good soak time....if my car is not super dirty then i just foam and presure wash and its spotless...if its dirty then i foam and wash using just a rinse bucket....works great....with the Gilmour i still feel the need for a wash bucket but it does help in pre rinsing..most of the time my Gilmour is used to blast wheel wells and engines with APC....

my .02......

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by auto_guy
    can you post a picture of the setting on the gun? i just want to make sure mines set on the same settings as mines currently uses a lot of soap also...

will put that up for you tonite

Post Thanks / Like
    once again... the foam gun is nice because you can use it as a pre-soak AND while you`re washing (some use it for one or both reasons), where as the foam cannon is used for just the pre-soak. is it worth it for some... maybe, maybe not. IME... it is worth it, and someone like Accummulator who has the wash regimen down with it, has found it`s worth and benefit... just like anything else, it`s not for everyone...

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anybody had any experience with the foam gun from Griot`s Garage? I`m interesed in getting one and havent heard any word on if this one is worth it

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Samjam927
    Has anybody had any experience with the foam gun from Griot`s Garage? I`m interesed in getting one and havent heard any word on if this one is worth it

that thing is not a foam gun but more like a soapy water gun... pass on it and buy a real one made by Gilmour...

Post Thanks / Like

I fill the tank with one part soap to three parts water.

I use the third hole from the left which is the 4 oz per gallon setting. (effectively 1oz shampoo per gallon)

anyone else having trouble getting pics to show up? I`m putting the IMG with brackets fore and aft...

Post Thanks / Like
    Pics do help, but you need to understand how the ratios work, so you can adjust exactly how much soap to use. The simplest way to understand is to choose a setting on the gun. Then adjust your solution ratio in the jug to get to your final result of how much shampoo will land on the car.

For example, you would like 1 oz of shampoo for each gallon of water to hit the car. Setting the gun to 4 oz per gallon means exactly just that, i.e. 4 oz of "solution" per 1 gallon of H2O will hit the car. But you only require 1 oz of shampoo. What to do? Simply cut the solution in the jug so that of that total 4 oz coming out, only 1 oz is shampoo and the rest (i.e. 3 oz) is water. So, your dilution ratio in the jug will be 1:3.

Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    I do my dilution/settings on the Gilmour pretty quick-and-dirty and it still works fine for me.

Gallon jug: I mix about 4-6 ounces of shampoo and the rest water. I`m gradually upping the shampoo towards the 6 after using only 4 for a long time.

I use the next-to-weakest setting on the foamgun for the presoak and the initial passes with the BHB. I usually dial it back to the weakest setting for the final passes with the mitts.

I still use the two-bucket method though, but I can sometimes get by with just the foamgun and no wash bucket. I don`t need the rinse bucket with the BHBs unless the vehicle is very dirty; with my boosted pressure the foamgun keeps it flushed clean. I *do* need the rinse bucket with the mitts though.

Thread Information