Post Thanks / Like
    i have one new headlight and now my old one looks a bit dull/discolored.

I`m perfectly capable of restoring it myself, BUT i want to find a professional who will spray permanent UV protection on the lens (not simply a uv protective sealant). I don`t want to have to re-polish the headlights every 3 months or worry about reapplying a sealant every couple weeks. I want someone who will restore the lens and apply a UV coating comparable to the factory protection, and be neat enough to protect the rest of my vehicle from overspray while doing so.

anyone know where i can find a place to do this, and the going rate for something like this?

Post Thanks / Like
    bump...

Post Thanks / Like
    Is Danbury, CT too far for you? I know a great detailer in Danbury but he`s not on this forum. Send me a PM if you would like his info. I`m pretty sure he could help you with this or maybe knows someone closer to you.
    Rich Grasa

Pro Mobile Detailing based in New Milford, CT

www.explicitdetails.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Tofu, you eat tofu?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ExplicitDetails
    Is Danbury, CT too far for you? I know a great detailer in Danbury but he`s not on this forum. Send me a PM if you would like his info. I`m pretty sure he could help you with this or maybe knows someone closer to you.

That would be great! Whenever I ask the headlight restoration guys I find on google if they`re simply using the sylvania wipe on kit, polishing and putting a temporary sealant, or using the spar/ms solution discussed on this forum, they conveniently stop replying to me... Doesn`t give me much confidence in their work.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Dekany
    Tofu, you eat tofu?

fried tofu... mmm

Post Thanks / Like
    Just sent you his info in a PM.
    Rich Grasa

Pro Mobile Detailing based in New Milford, CT

www.explicitdetails.com

Post Thanks / Like
    See if you can find a restorer who uses DeltaKits water based coating. Most will give you a written 2 year warranty. Another thing is to look for someone using a coating that is cured using UV lights. I wouldn`t go to anyone not offering at least a 1 year written guarantee or can`t connect you to a previous customer done some time ago. Many in the field are using the same techniques and products that you can but at your local auto parts store. Mostly junk. Why pay someone to screw up your headlights when you could just as easily screwed them up yourself?

Some of our service providers we sell products to are seeing more and more redos from customers using DIY kits, many with paint damage or burn marks. Ever tried using a drill as a sander? We even occasionally see an old Wal-Mart butcher job.

Headlights can be restored to like new condition, probably for $60 to $90, at least here on the west coast. You get what you pay for.

ray6

Post Thanks / Like
    yep... still haven`t found anyone. they all go silent when i begin questioning what they use

Post Thanks / Like
    i talked to these guys: Windshield Repair,Headlight Restoration, NJ, NY, PA, CT, DE

he said "We do not use helsman urathne or a spray on clear coat we use a factory 2 part clear coat"

dodged my question about UV lamps and didn`t really tell me what he uses... what do you think?

Post Thanks / Like
    Probably using a coating called Infinity 4.1, a water borne 2K chemically curing coating, same as we use. We guarantee for 2 years. Some coatings cure by UV, some by chemical reaction (like epoxy resin).

ray6

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ll try these guys then. Seems to be the best option in my area. Thanks, ray

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, just joining this thread. I use a few different systems and if the user is still shopping, I would be very transparent about the process. I do offer a 2 year guarantee that includes a free reapplication if it fails through re-oxidation. Noble Elements Inc. | Motorsport Detailing & Restoration.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by t0fu
    i have one new headlight and now my old one looks a bit dull/discolored.

I`m perfectly capable of restoring it myself, BUT i want to find a professional who will spray permanent UV protection on the lens (not simply a uv protective sealant). I don`t want to have to re-polish the headlights every 3 months or worry about reapplying a sealant every couple weeks. I want someone who will restore the lens and apply a UV coating comparable to the factory protection, and be neat enough to protect the rest of my vehicle from overspray while doing so.

anyone know where i can find a place to do this, and the going rate for something like this?

If you can do it yourself why not buy some Opti coat 2.0 and call it a day?

Post Thanks / Like
    I hear great things about Opti coat but have never been able to figure out it`s UV adsorption properties. Restoring headlights consists of 2 steps; removing the old, deteriorated coating applied when the headlight was manufactured, and replacing it with a new one.The whole reason for the coating is to seal it against moisture and protect the polycarbonate from UV deterioration.

As a general rule, UV adsorption capacity is a function of coating thickness; the thicker the coating, the more UV it can consume before breaking down. It seems like Opti Coat is extremely thin. I have no doubt it`s a great product, but will it work with headlights?

ray6

Post Thanks / Like
    if you hear of anyone in North Brooklyn i would be interested too

Thread Information