Post Thanks / Like

Newbie with some simple questions...

Hello all!

I stumbled across this site last night and spent the next 2 hours reading and reading. Lots of useful info here. A little about me, I am an absolute car nut and love to keep my cars clean and looking, running well. I am not in the detail business but sometimes it seems that I am with all of my own cars to clean!

I use a Sears orbital 10" buffer / polisher since I previously thought it was my only option other than a rotary which I have always been weary of, anyway the Sears seems to work ok I guess. I have read a lot about the PC 7424 and 7436 I beleive, may have to look into those?

One of the cars I own is an `86 IROC maroon in color that has the original paint which is damaged from what appear to be hard water spots. Anyone have a product that will work to remove / reduce these spots? I typically use Meguire`s products and have used their paint cleaner and then tried their polish but neither really affected the areas, which are the hood, T-top and hatch area. Do I need to use a polishing compound or something that will "cut"? Can someone give a suggestion on what to use and what else to use after to finish?

I did a search looking for abbreviation explanations but didn`t come up with anything, has anyone ever posted one for newbies like me? Being able to connect the dots with what products go in what order and with proper application techniques is what I am looking to learn so that I can better detail my own cars for show .

Thanks and sorry for the long read. I have some other questions that I will post separately.

Thanks,

Todd

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi:
    Welcome to DC.
    This link should help with the abbeviations problem.

http://www.detailcity.com/forums/sho...light=acronyms

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks CharlesW, I printed out the linkie for future reference when reading the forums.

Post Thanks / Like
    One of the cars I own is an `86 IROC maroon in color that has the original paint which is damaged from what appear to be hard water spots. Anyone have a product that will work to remove / reduce these spots? I typically use Meguire`s products and have used their paint cleaner and then tried their polish but neither really affected the areas, which are the hood, T-top and hatch area. Do I need to use a polishing compound or something that will "cut"? Can someone give a suggestion on what to use and what else to use after to finish?

Anyone have any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    :welcomeWelcome to the DC. You might wanna try a light cutting polish like SSR 1 or 2 depending on how bad the spots are. Post some pics maybe that might help in picking a product best for the job.

Post Thanks / Like
    :welcome to the City toddolie!

Just how many cars do you have???

Post Thanks / Like
    Definately post up some pics of the said water spots. It`s alot easier to try and give advice when you can see what you`re dealing with. Welcome to DC

Thread Information