Thread: Hello from CA

Post Thanks / Like

Hello from CA

Hi all,
    New member from SF CA. Originally from SoCal so i love my car and only want the best for it. I like to wash my car myself, but i am really looking for convenient products and methods. Although i don`t drive very much, i like to wash my car every 2 weeks or so with ONR with the quarterly "normal" wash. I do the two bucket method with both washes, using a mitt and some MF towels. Always looking out for tips on how to wash with as little touching as possible. Looking forward to some good reading.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hello from CA

welcome to AF. do you detail the vehicle yourself also?

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to a great Forum !
    Im just about 100 miles away from SF, in Folsom..

There`s a lot of great information here and people that provide it -

I have used Chenille thick wash mitts in my shop for years and never had issues washing and not scratching paintwork.. Have tried all kinds and settled on these for many reasons.

A good super slick soap also really helps, along with keeping as much water on the spot you are washing, as possible, to help move the dirt, etc., off the panel..

If you really want to be as touchless as possible, you might want to see if you can use air to blow off as much water as possible, leaving you very little to finish removing..

A good Quick Detailer at this point would help as well, by giving you just a bit more moisture on the paint to keep things slippery, removing that last bit of water drops, and in some cases, leaving you a little more temporary shine..

Good Luck with your Research !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome!! I know there are big companies in Folsom (like Intel) but I always think of Johnny Cash.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome !!!
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome!
    Should of stayed in Socal! Orange county here
    www.facebook.com/Ultimatecardetailingoc Please Like my FB if you like my work

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the jungle.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome, SoCal here but up North by you a lot! Welcome!
    The name`s Chris! Hi! - Chris` Auto Detailing, Pasadena, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome! I`m local - I am in Walnut Creek.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to AutopiaForums!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tropicsteve View Post
    welcome to AF. do you detail the vehicle yourself also?

Where is the line drawn between a wash and a detail? I expect to get jumped on for that question.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by theSaint024 View Post
    Where is the line drawn between a wash and a detail? I expect to get jumped on for that question.
    No jumping here. A wash is just one of the fundamental basic steps in a detail. A detail can include many things depending upon the condition of what is in front of you, (i.e. paint, engine, interior). A complete detail would likely include all of these and more but for in most every case includes THE WASH. This said, many prefer not to do an engine detail or don`t clean the barrels of the wheels etc. A wash simply said is cleaning the exterior of the vehicle from top to bottom. No waxes, no dressings just cleaning. A wash may use water, be a waterless or rinseless. Once again determined by the condition of the exterior and the preference of the Detailer.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome, from Folsom, CA..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    No jumping here. A wash is just one of the fundamental basic steps in a detail. A detail can include many things depending upon the condition of what is in front of you, (i.e. paint, engine, interior). A complete detail would likely include all of these and more but for in most every case includes THE WASH. This said, many prefer not to do an engine detail or don`t clean the barrels of the wheels etc. A wash simply said is cleaning the exterior of the vehicle from top to bottom. No waxes, no dressings just cleaning. A wash may use water, be a waterless or rinseless. Once again determined by the condition of the exterior and the preference of the Detailer.

Ok, thats along the lines of my understanding. My answer is it depends. I had a used car a some years back that needed some attention. I had that professionally detailed and washed because i lived in a condo at the time. I`ve had a couple cars that i didnt care too much about the appearance, they got the gas station autowash (i know sacrilege). I have a new car that i love now. That gets my full attention, but i dont drive much to need much detailing right now besides a wax. The car is 2 years old now and has been to a professional wash twice, mainly to get salt from Tahoe trips off the undercarriage. The rest has been my careful washing or ONR in between washes. The car still looks brand new even close up. The engine compartment is slightly dusty but not bad due to my low miles. I dont have the tools or confidence for that matter to do polishing when the time comes so i will likely leave that to pros. More than anything, i fear doing more harm so when in doubt i let the pros handle. But i have realized over the years that not all pros are equal when it comes to all areas of car maintenance. Thats why i try to as much as i can myself. Thats why i`m here. There is a wealth of info for DIYers and there is a lot of knowledge here. Lot of things that I havent done before, or done right, that i want to ensure correct procedure to avoid any permanent damage. Thanks in advance guys!

Thread Information