Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello everyone

IOWA BOY
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hello everyone

Dont wax without during what we call the proper steps. Wash with 2 bucket method (make and use lots of suds) , clay with good lube, IPA wipe down with good Microfiber towels, choose yourpolish and application and go at it. Id recommend a PC type of machine if you havnt run a rotaryy before. Plenty of buffing pads too. Buff with more micros after polishing/paint correction. Followed by quality sealant or a couple layers of wax. Good luck and welcome.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lampare View Post
    Merlin my truck is fire red,how the hell do you get your hood so nice is wish I could do that.
    Thanks...and you can. Autopiaforums is loaded with knowledgeable folks that can help you learn.

...and BTW I love Red!

Im going to wash it for the first time Saturday,then wax I don`t know about claying it yet.
    I take it you are newbie to the "How To" obtain and maintain the "take pride in your ride" finish. Is that correct?

As stated above use two CLEAN new buckets to wash. You can use the Home Depot, Lowes type 5 gallon buckets.
    I prefer white. With a white bucket I can see dirt and grit in the water and I can see when to change it out easier.
    I`d recommend getting at least two Grit Guard Bucket inserts one for each bucket. They keep the grit in the bucket.

After washing you can then determine if your paint needs more attention. Do you know what the baggie test is?

Here`s a couple of starter questions...
    Do you know what you are going to use for a wax or a sealant?
    Do you know what the "Two Bucket Method" for washing is?
    Do you know the difference between a wax and a sealant?

Post Thanks / Like

To AutopiaForums Joe!

This a great place to learn how to detail and do it right the first time.

We have a great How-To section with a lot of first class information by Todd Helme....

Car Detailing How To Information

BobbyG

Post Thanks / Like

I know what the two bucket system is,I do not know what a sealant is,I always thought that putting more than one product over another was useless as one just took the other off.I washed my truck today using two bucket system,used rain x car wash soap,clay bar it with Meguiars,and used collinite insulator wax.

Post Thanks / Like

One more thing is IPA wipe down isopropyl alchol?.Is that bad as it dries out all the natural oils in the wax and paint?

Post Thanks / Like

Just bought a new truck,looking to learn to keep truck like new. Thanks JoeB
    Welcome

One more thing is IPA wipe down isopropyl alchol?.Is that bad as it dries out all the natural oils in the wax and paint?
    Yup.

Paint doesn`t have natural oils as far as I know.

But the whole point of an IPA wipedown is to remove polish residue. If you have polish residue, it can be concluded that whatever wax that was there prior to polishing is gone because polishing will remove wax. Thus, to ask if an IPA wipedown will dry something that is not there is kind of a moot point.

If you remove residue with an IPA wipedown, you can see the "true" condition of the paint without any of the "fillers" that polish residue might have.

Post Thanks / Like

I understand,thanks for explanation.

Post Thanks / Like

I do not know what a sealant is,I always thought that putting more than one product over another was useless as one just took the other off.
    This is the short version as I know it.

Sealants are (usually) polymer type synthetic products, not "natural" wax.
    It is impossible to market the "average Joe consumer" on the differences.
    There are many sealants on the market some even use the word "polish".
    Sealants (as a rule) have more longevity & durability than a "natural" wax.

Confused yet?
    How about Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax..the longest lasting wax Megs makes.
    It is actually a sealant! No wax at all!

So if that`s not confusing enough...
    Some paste waxes are actually a combination of both natural and synthetic.
    Some paste waxes have no natural wax in them at all. Got a headache yet???

Someone else chime in here to point him in the right Sealant vs. Wax direction.

Now on to the...applying one (wax/sealant) Last Step Product (LSP) over another.

The General rule:
    Wax can be applied over itself except a "cleaner wax" will strip off the prior coat.
    Wax can be applied over a sealant but a sealant should not be applied over wax.
    Multiple coats of sealant/wax (IMHO up to three) can/will increase look and durability.
    I know one person that actually has applied more than 30 coats of Z-2 to his vehicle.

REMEMBER George McFly:
    "Now, Biff, I want make sure that we get two coats of wax this time, not just one."
    Multiple coats also insures complete coverage.

I like 2-3 coats of sealant followed by 2 coats of wax.
    On black/red colors my fav is Blackfire "The Wet Ice Over Fire" sealant/wax combo.

I washed my truck today using two bucket system,used rain x car wash soap,clay bar it with Meguiars,and used collinite insulator wax.
    There are many "car wash soaps" out there. I`m personally not a big fan of Rain-X.

I only clay or do any correction "if needed". Did you do a "baggie test" on your paint?

Last but not least IMHO Collinite 845 Insulator Wax is a very good, shiny, durability wax.

Post Thanks / Like

I know what the two bucket system is,I do not know what a sealant is,I always thought that putting more than one product over another was useless as one just took the other off.I washed my truck today using two bucket system,used rain x car wash soap,clay bar it with Meguiars,and used collinite insulator wax.
    When/if you run out of rain x car wash soap, I too would recommend something different. If you want to stay OTC, I believe the best is Meguiar`s Gold Class.

If you want to order online.... there are just so many good options! Make a thread when you run out, and you`ll see just how many different soaps people recommend!

Post Thanks / Like

Well I messed up my truck has scrathes very fine that you can only see in bright sunlight I thought I was careful washing and waxing but I messed up somewhere.well at least you cant see them in the shade or at night.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I messed up my truck has scratches very fine that you can only see in bright sunlight I thought I was careful washing and waxing but I messed up somewhere.well at least you cant see them in the shade or at night.
    Don`t fret. You may not have been the one that put `em there. It could have been DISO.
    It`s called the Dealer Installed Swirl Option (DISO). It`s also caused by a drive-thru car wash.

or the scratches and/or swirls could have been made from your wash mitt or your drying process.
    Either way that`s a problem that is easily solved. You have come to the right place for good advice.

Work clean and stay out of the "Tunnel O` Swirls" and it will keep from introducing fine paint scratches.
    Now would you like to know how to get rid of the ones you already have and keep `em from coming back?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I would like to know how rid of them and keep them away.It must be very common I see them on almost every vehicle I see.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information