Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good Bye PAC

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a very rough draft kind of an idea but I thought I`d throw it out there. I really don`t like our bravenet chat room thing very much. Its hard to follow because everyone is in the same color and same font. Instead of coming up with complaints I thought I`d come up with a possible solution.

MSN allows the ability to create personal Communities. These communities have photo hosting services and message board functions and chat rooms. I`d skip the message board function and photo hosting perhaps, but the chat room function is a very nice thing. Anyone can join the community. A very simple link is all you need to get to the chat room. It would work in a similar way that the Bravenet chat room works except the members could change their fonts and colors to make it eaiser to follow.

Joining an MSN community doesn`t require that MSN be your ISP. You don`t even need an MSN email account. Joining the community would be simple and easy. I would be more than happy to maintain the community independent of Autopia just for the chat feature if that would help. There is even HTML scripting to add a little box onto a website allowing people to put their email addresses in to join the community that way. I have the box on the bottom of the first page of my homepage in my sig.

Here is the link to the test Community I set up. Autopia Carport Community Check it out and see if that might be something I could make available to the other members of the forum. You can even link directly to the chat room like this. (You have to have joined the community to directly link to the chat room) I was thinking that that link could replace the current link up at the top of the page.

There are a few other options as far as chat rooms. I`m looking into them. This was just a thought. A nice easy link that gets people to a chat room that is much better than the bravenet chat room IMO. I think more people would use it if it was a little more user friendly. We could even make a seperate room just for our Moderator meetings. What do you think, Sirs and Lady Mayorette? :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    Odd as it may seem, I`m burning the midnight oil looking at upgrades for our home. Chat is at the top of the list. Whatever we do, I feel it must be intergrated with the forum (vBulletin) system. Having to type you user name or registering for a different service is not ideal.

Fortunately, the vBulleting community is large. There are a lot of options. I`m just trying to wade through and find the easy and best option (mutually exclusive?).

I appreciate the effort (A+), but I hesitate using a service that blasts us with advertising. I just don`t like it.

db

Post Thanks / Like
    That`s cool. I knew you were busy and was just thinking about it. I helped my brother set up a homepage and MSN Community last week and it just sort of got me thinking. I look forward to seeing what vBulletin has to offer as far as a chatroom. :up Just throwin out some ideas. :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    I heard some rumors about what was going on in chat so last night I joined under a private name. I was really upset with how it went, and supposedly the last 2 sessions were similar.

Detailing was hardly talked about, which I suppose is ok. There were a whole mess of topics, but in between discussing them, some member were making fun of others that were not there, and making wise cracks about different products. There was one newbie on there asking questions and I think he left confused and pissed off more than anything else. What bothered me the most was the language......definately "R" rated......but that problem was only with about 2-3 users. When I had enough of it, I signed on as DETAILKING, and it shaped up a bit. I Private chatted with a select few and kindly asked them to have fun with chat but keep it PG rated, and that seemed to help a bit. I was just a little disappointed, I guess. There are really no guidelines or rules for chat and no way to police it on the board if someone gets out of line. Any suggestions? I wouldn`t be surprised if you got some complaints today about last night`s chat...........

DK

Post Thanks / Like
    I made some progress in research of chats that integrate with vBulletin. An integrated chat would force people to login with their Autopia name (handle).

If you think it is getting too out of hand, I can remove the current chat until I integrate a new system.

Recommendations?

db

Post Thanks / Like
    Leave it for now until the new one or else we will probably just make people go elsewhere and when the new one starts no one will use it because they are using another one already.

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by DETAILKING [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>I heard some rumors about what was going on in chat so last night I joined under a private name. I was really upset with how it went, and supposedly the last 2 sessions were similar.

Detailing was hardly talked about, which I suppose is ok. There were a whole mess of topics, but in between discussing them, some member were making fun of others that were not there, and making wise cracks about different products. There was one newbie on there asking questions and I think he left confused and pissed off more than anything else. What bothered me the most was the language......definately "R" rated......but that problem was only with about 2-3 users. When I had enough of it, I signed on as DETAILKING, and it shaped up a bit. I Private chatted with a select few and kindly asked them to have fun with chat but keep it PG rated, and that seemed to help a bit. I was just a little disappointed, I guess. There are really no guidelines or rules for chat and no way to police it on the board if someone gets out of line. Any suggestions? I wouldn`t be surprised if you got some complaints today about last night`s chat...........

DK [/b]</blockquote>
    Agreed. I recall AlBoston using the S word several times during the course of the chat. The new person DK is talking about was a tad disappointed and disillusioned because of that kind of behavior.

With that said, if we are going to have a chat, we need to have someone (moderator) present to ensure that the rules are being followed. When I was a host on AOL, we had a tool that we used to "gag" chatters who were in violation of the TOS for a set time. I would like to know that if we can get something like that for us to gag (or boot) the disorderlies.

Post Thanks / Like
    We do need a way to police the chat if it gets out of hand. ALBOSTON and PATHFINDER were the worse offenders in my opinion with the language (F WORD WAS USED A FEW TIMES), and I even recall al saying a lot stuff like he was going to beat up one of the members (puterbum) and steal is car,etc,etc, and he never used XYZ products but likes "mess`n" with people on the board,etc,etc,etc, stuff like that. I mean its all joking around, but not what autopia chat should be all about. I feel bad for that newbie prinz referred too, he/she will probably never come back.

I think we should set rules and maybe have a mod scheduled to host it each week to keep order. It would help if maybe we set TOPICS in advance to chat about. The other problem is that these guys obviously don`t work because when I logged off at 1:00 am, there were still a bunch of people on chatting. The other thing is maybe if they saw DAVID B`s name up there on the list they would keep more order even if david wasn`t really there watching. They have no respect for us mod`s.......

I was there with you last night prinz.....incognito....

DK

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by DETAILKING [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>We do need a way to police the chat if it gets out of hand. ALBOSTON and PATHFINDER were the worse offenders in my opinion with the language (F WORD WAS USED A FEW TIMES), and I even recall al saying a lot stuff like he was going to beat up one of the members (puterbum) and steal is car,etc,etc, and he never used XYZ products but likes "mess`n" with people on the board,etc,etc,etc, stuff like that. I mean its all joking around, but not what autopia chat should be all about. I feel bad for that newbie prinz referred too, he/she will probably never come back.

I think we should set rules and maybe have a mod scheduled to host it each week to keep order. It would help if maybe we set TOPICS in advance to chat about. The other problem is that these guys obviously don`t work because when I logged off at 1:00 am, there were still a bunch of people on chatting. The other thing is maybe if they saw DAVID B`s name up there on the list they would keep more order even if david wasn`t really there watching. They have no respect for us mod`s.......

I was there with you last night prinz.....incognito....

DK [/b]</blockquote>
    DK, you and I are on the same page.

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, I will make sure whatever chat system I get has a gag option.

I`m thinking about removing the Bravenet chat system for now. Is everyone okay with that? Maybe for as long as 2-3 weeks.

db

Post Thanks / Like
    If you remove the Autopia chat then the members are just going to use YoSteve`s chat again. I guarantee it. The thing I like about the MSN chat is that you have the ability to boot people out and even ban them for awhile. To me the ideal chat would have these features:
    <ul class=`bbc`>[*]Someone in the chat would have the ability to boot out offenders[*]different colors or fonts to help distinguish members[*]users are under their Autopia handles[*]Some sort of admin controls over the chat when a mod enters the chat. That way the inmates don`t run the asylum.[/list]
    I don`t know what vBulletin has to offer as far as a chat but those things would be sooooo nice. I think more people would use it if it was more controled and user friendly.

Post Thanks / Like

Good Bye PAC

I have enjoyed all of you. If anyone is ever in Phx and wants to get a bucket of wings or clean a car. Give me a call. Well, email me first, I`ll get you my number.

jamesharrison68@gmail.com
    I hear voices in my mind and you’re worried that you’re the freak.

Post Thanks / Like
    What about TID?
    Al

Made in USA

Post Thanks / Like
    I really hope this forum stays active. It is my home, and I love it here. I am a member of other forums, as are most of you, but this is always my first stop, and quite frankly, I just don`t enjoy the other forums as much as I do this one.
    Barry Schultz
    Detailed Elegance

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by biolink View Post
    I have enjoyed all of you. If anyone is ever in Phx and wants to get a bucket of wings or clean a car. Give me a call. Well, email me first, I`ll get you my number.

jamesharrison68@gmail.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    What about TID?
    What!?!?!?!

What`s going on here? PAC is closing for good or just re-structuring? And as Al said, what`s going to happen to TID? And BFWD?!?!?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information