Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, what ever the motivation it was timely for me. I did some searching recently and found many threads a few months old. Based on those threads it threw a wrench in my current gameplan (for leather care). Didn`t want to rehash old discussions so I posted this on another board:

"Just when I thought I had my system down! Stumbled on some old threads in another forum last night dealing with leather care on clear coated seats vs those that aren`t.

Learned a lot, but began doubting my system. On my 95 Lexus LS400 I like to wipe on a little Pinn conditoner every week as part of the interior clean up. I mainly like the smell, but thought it was wiping off some of the weekly wear and tear.

Now I`m not sure if it`s the correct product to be using and it sounds like I`m doing it way more than others. I use it sparingly, but none the less each week. I have also been wiping with 303 about every fourth week.

I may be switching to Eagle`s conditioner, safe for both types of leather. Mainly due to the price.

Thoughts from others. Good/bad gameplan. What do others do as part of a weekly clean up on ? "

Since the thread has been started...... For those of you with coated seats: 1) Do you do anything as part of a weekly cleanup?

Sounds like I`ll go to a damp MF towel. I`m going to miss my Pinn. smell.

HTGiving

LC

Post Thanks / Like
    that say...will dawn hurt my car,.... i use the pinnacle conditioner about very other wk....otherowse every week i wipe them down with a damp MF(soap and water)....and once a nth 303.....now thats its colder im way less with the conditioner r/t low absorbency(even with heated front sets)....so what did u read that makles u think your messed up...if nothing got rehashed all the htread wouldbe about BF and awaiting the release of ZFX(oh wait...now thats old too....

Post Thanks / Like
    Great FLONI,

The debate was over the whole clear coat vs. non. Conditioners such as Pinn. Cond. will eventually wear through the clear coat and cause the leather to become saturated.

I am now under the impression this may happen to my seats over time.

Clear coat seats should treated as vinyl is what I walked away with from the threads which is a big change to my mindset.

Staying in line with newer cars have a clear coat on the seats I`m guessing yours do as well.

Like every other part of the car I think the seats need a light wipedown weekly. Your plan sounds good, did you have concerns over conditioners on coated seats.

LC

Post Thanks / Like
    let me tell you...i just went back and spent the last 20 minutes reading all the leather threads...clearcoated...non-clear...conditioner...no put 303....those were some great posts by Ron K...db and Don...really informative...i kept asking my self the same question as Don....if it hurts the leather(a conditioner) then why the heck do they feel softer after you apply it....Ron answered it...it could very well be the clear evaporating..??whether that is exactly the truth i dont know but...im stopping the Pinnalce conditioner and staying with a wipe down every wk and 303 about once a mth...if i see a huge difference in softness(like...negative wise i mean) then ill go back...otherwise im really gonna miss that pinnacle smell..i havent had a car freshner in there since i got the car....the pinnacle was so nice i didnt need it....anyway....i think you summed it all up perfectly...really did a good job there LC....just think those posts were from June of this year....but it really sparked up a debate....it was cool....that doesnt happen too often....mostly with Klasse vs Zaino stuff...or things like that which are mostly personal preferences type of things....i really appreciate u bringing the topic back up...its very interesting and i like u had given no thought to the clear on my seats....good job buddy!!

:up ........funny...all the products...hide food...tanners..pinnalce lexol...leatherique...they might go under if everybody was aware of the damge it "could" cause...good job to all in this thread...i think its a great topic for discussion...

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s definitely good reading. I`ve been back three times now picking up more details!

I`m glad you jumped on the thread. I was hoping Don would give an update to what he`s doing.

Here`s my plan. Seems like cleaners are straight forward, it is the conditioner that can get you in trouble. I picked up the Eagle One cleaner and spray conditioner today. The EO conditioner is the only one I`ve seen that specifically said safe for both types of leather. Used both tonight to reset the "clock" mindset. Very little of each. Good first impressions.

I`m going to a plain damp MF wipe once a week. Use the Eagle every couple of weeks and 303 once a month.

Sent Lexol an email to see what they say about their conditioner (not crazy about it, more curious)

I was debating about getting the big Pinn. conditioner, when I stumbled onto all this. Glad I held off.

Got to run for now.

Post Thanks / Like
    ....tell me...when u get back what the eagle conditioner smells like...if anything...

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s not unpleasant, but it`s unique. Pinn. it is not. The beauty of EO, is your not out a small fortune should you not like it. I`ve been trying many different products over the last two months, and I always find I`m happy with EO.

I have just received my 40.00 Souveran and I ordered the Pinn vinyl/leather cleaner and vinly/rubber protectant. I should be able to use these on the clear coat seats. Have to wait to Christmas though before I`ll know what they are like.

In between I`ll be trying to get a definite answer on whether my seats are clear coated or not.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think this link on another forum will be interesting reading. Please check traderalex1`s posts starting from post #394 - don`t stop here since there is more info on later postings about car leather. I actually started from post # 1 so I have a background on what`s going on but things got really interesting when this guy started posting.
    Here`s the link: http://townhall-talk2.edmunds.com/We...54.nyhKaoAmMXR^7@.ee99490/394 .

Post Thanks / Like
    It looks like the link doesn`t work. Here it is again:
    http://townhall-talk2.edmunds.com/We...54.nyhKaoAmMXR^7@.ee99490/394 /

If that doen`t work, just go here and look for message # 394:
    http://townhall-talk2.edmunds.com/We...92.Tp1Yab3FMMn^3@.ee99490/0

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess I suck when trying to get this link to work. However, if you click on the link and get an error message, just add the section that is not underlined to the end of your address field. That worked for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    that traderalex guy really knows his stuff...i mean hes talking about seat design and construction and how it affects all the leather...then talking about how the "major" car makers tested all the aftermarket products and....basically said...they`re...all the same as no 1 did any better/worse than any other....now thats inetresting....i mean...i never knew so much went into it...this guy is the Ron K of leather... ....once again the answer is.....use what u like because the way most newish cars are made today....you really cant ruin it....maybe the clear on the leather will only last 10 yrs...not 12 or whatever....i only read 394-420+ for now....but thanks for the link...the link itself didnt work i just did a search on leather seats and started with # 394.....thx again...illl go back tmorrow for more:up...............

dont beat yourself up...i copied and pasted and it wouldnt go thru...something with no cross linking..............

hey.........what about the part where he talks about connolys hide having parts of dead cows in it...dang!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I saw that poster mentioned before, but couldn`t find the leather forum in the town hall section. Thanks for the link.

LC

Post Thanks / Like
    there...then went to maintenance and care...then did a search on leather seats...2 recent threads come up...1 has like 2 posts in it...the other is the one with all the good stuff...like i said i started at 394

Post Thanks / Like
    Cybercowboy,

You lost your bet.

I came to the board through another forum with the intent on learning ways to keep my vehicles looking new with the least amount of effort. Like most, I recommend products that have worked well for me through the years. My primary concern is the mechanical operation of my vehicles and lubricants are the key. I know more about automotive lubricants than most and use my signature to recommend what I believe are the finest automotive lubricants in the world. I`ll continue to read the forum and post from time to time when I feel I can contribute something meaningful. If my username offends you or anyone else, I`ll ask the moderators to change to something less offensive.

Now back to my original concern, leather seating. Thanks for the link. The info was very educational.
    2003 Honda Pilot EX-L

1989 Honda Accord LXi

Shine by Poorboy`s

Post Thanks / Like
    A follow up, received this from Lexol:

The "clear coat" is an impervious protective film which keeps foreign materials out of the leather. It also keeps out Lexol as it cannot be absorbed. The Lexol won`t hurt the leather because it isn`t absorbed.

Don Jenkins

Technical Consultant

LC

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information