Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum! Yea, go with Meguiars. Usually someone who has been experienced with a "store-bought product" for a few months, usually get better results if they use a "fancy product" later.

As YoSteve has said before, washing safely is very important. Use two buckets, soft mitt(s), and often rinse off the dirt. Treat your car like a million dollar classic when washing. If something won`t come off, don`t scrub it hard! Good luck!

Also, you can always experiment with the products. Maybe leave some product on for a long time, or remove it with a damp towel. Effort and techniques will make more of a difference than the product alone.

Have fun!

Post Office Box 9 Newbury, OH 44065 AIM:YoSteveDotCom
    Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by DaVW [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>Thanks Jason,

Your reply was exactly what I was hoping for. detailed instructions with the products I currently have. Excellent
    post for me to work with. Thanks a million!!

Dave [/b]</blockquote>
    that`s because jason is a Klasse act , he`s a real pro

if you`re in NYC and need a good detailer, he`s the one to go to :bounce

Post Thanks / Like
    hey DETAILKING what products do u use?

Post Thanks / Like
    DETAILKING is the "resident-Zaniac" here and uses Zaino Z1 - Z16, 303, and Turtle Wax tire shine on his own Bimmer. I believe he likes Liquid Glass for other vehicles.

Post Thanks / Like
    As my friends here have touched on, using Z or K is not a religious requirement. You did not get ripped off.

BTW, don`t forget to clay.

And, as others have said, read the archives -- search for topics of interest. There is a lot of gold in the archives.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks detailking,

That`s helps, I was a little overwhelmed and intimidated by all the Zaino 1, 2, 5, 6, 16 etc.. products. I`d prefer to keep it simple until I get comfortable with all this paint cleaning, polishing, waxing, washing... I mean, who knew!! LOL! I definately would prefer the longer lasting wax, so once the meguiars runs out, I`ll see about ordering some Zaino. I do appreciate your post.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

A new girl in a mostly guys world

Hey all,

I am in Ontario Canada. Currently gearing up to get my own mobile detailing business going and to work my way into having a shop as well as mobile service. I have a lot of the essentials ready neat and organized but of course I want to stand out and separate myself from the rest by offering superior detailing either threw processes, products, the little things etc. I have been reading a number of post and I am finding some great info here.
    I am currently getting packages and pricing together for my services and looking for tips and tricks. What are the most popular combo`s? What is the best way to break down the pricing? Being that I have not had the experience some or most of you have had what are the biggest complaints and compliments customers offer for feed back?
    I am not concerned about being relatively green but I do want to go out with my best foot forward. I have detailed many cars for friends and family but now venturing out into referrals and advertising.
    A big headache for me so far is the salt stains... maybe a basic question but hey I`ll ask anyhow. How can i get these out with out killing myself and my time. Product recommendations?
    One of my referrals will be for doing aircraft interiors for a charter company. Anyone detailed a plane that can give me a heads up on pricing breakdowns products etc.

I guess that`s a long intro but I need the dirt (so to speak)....

Thanks
    Holly

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Holly1176 View Post
    Hey all,

I am in Ontario Canada. Currently gearing up to get my own mobile detailing business going and to work my way into having a shop as well as mobile service. I have a lot of the essentials ready neat and organized but of course I want to stand out and separate myself from the rest by offering superior detailing either threw processes, products, the little things etc. I have been reading a number of post and I am finding some great info here.
    I am currently getting packages and pricing together for my services and looking for tips and tricks. What are the most popular combo`s? What is the best way to break down the pricing? Being that I have not had the experience some or most of you have had what are the biggest complaints and compliments customers offer for feed back?
    I am not concerned about being relatively green but I do want to go out with my best foot forward. I have detailed many cars for friends and family but now venturing out into referrals and advertising.
    A big headache for me so far is the salt stains... maybe a basic question but hey I`ll ask anyhow. How can i get these out with out killing myself and my time. Product recommendations?
    One of my referrals will be for doing aircraft interiors for a charter company. Anyone detailed a plane that can give me a heads up on pricing breakdowns products etc.

I guess that`s a long intro but I need the dirt (so to speak)....

Thanks
    Holly
    Welcome Holly,
    You have landed on a good learning site, unfortunately I am not the one to give advice on business directives.There are lots of pro`s that hang around here,and they will help you along,as far as being a girl,dont sweat it, we like girls ! :biggrin:....just kidding , and best of luck with your business.

Steve.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to TID Holly!

Unfortunately, I can`t help you with your business questions either, as I do this mostly for myself (maybe this summer I might be able to make some extra money). Nice to have you here at TID. Enjoy your stay and I am sure you will get a few guys here who could help you out.
    Barry Schultz
    Detailed Elegance

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to TID! :smile:

I have yet to find a quick solution for salt deposits on carpet. It has always been a repetitive time cleaning process for me but I would be interested if anyone else has any tips.

Currently I just use an All Purpose Cleaner, extractor, carpet brush, and a lot of elbow grease to get them clean. I do have a battery powered brush similar to that of the attachment for the PC7424 people use. This makes scrubbing them a little easier.

I do see a fair amount of salty carpets though...

Rasky
    Rasky`s Auto Detailing

Quote Originally Posted by Auto Concierge View Post
    That finish is "brill" (british slang for tightness) as in "BRILLIANT" great clarity and gloss!!.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys!! Well I have found some resources that I can tap into for most of my business questions :hurray: but I will always have open ears for any advise from some guys on here. I will however be like a sponge for fine tuning detailing skills. Like Rasky, removing salt is cleaner, brushes and the mad scrubbing. Any tips - I am all ears...

I need to get an extractor... what is a good machine to start with? Needs to be portable for mobile uses.

Thx again:thumbup:

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to TID!!!
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luster View Post
    Welcome to TID!!!
    Thanks Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Holly1176 View Post
    Thanks guys!! Well I have found some resources that I can tap into for most of my business questions :hurray: but I will always have open ears for any advise from some guys on here. I will however be like a sponge for fine tuning detailing skills. Like Rasky, removing salt is cleaner, brushes and the mad scrubbing. Any tips - I am all ears...

I need to get an extractor... what is a good machine to start with? Needs to be portable for mobile uses.

Thx again:thumbup:
    The Mytee 870 Lite II is a smaller, but powerful extractor that can should fit in most Mobile rigs, unless you are using a small car like a Corolla.

As far as getting started, I would recommend starting slow (keeping your day job if possible) and focusing on garnering the experience necessary. It may be hard to get the first couple of clients, but your goal should be increasing quality and/or efficiency. It pays to know your market as well: Detailers in more affluent areas may focus on higher end exotic cars and charge a premium, were detailers in more normal areas are likely better served to focus on volume work. Each is an art forum and there is no replacement for experience.

A couple of tips regardless. Focus on really cleaning the areas the driver will sense. Clean and wax under the door handle, they will feel that every time they open the door. Make sure the steering wheel is completely cleaned and scrubbed. Most steering wheels get very grimy as we transfer our oil, moisturizer, grime, and dirt from hands to them. Cleaning them thoroughly will restore that soft feel and make quite an impression the first time the owner grabs the wheels. Make sure the windows are crystal clear and streak free. Make sure the insides of the wheels and brake calipers are spotless. It is the little things that make the biggest impressions on new clients.

As far as pricing, this will depend on your market, but Sam Walton (Wal-Mart fame) said it best, "Be the cheapest or most expensive, but do not be one of the millions in the middle." Do not under estimate how much people are willing to pay for good, reliable, quality work regardless of your market. You must keep it relative though.

I would focus on Meguiar`s Detailer and Mirror Glaze, Eimann Fabrik, and Optimum car care products. Each can be bought in bulk, making it cost effective, and offers great products. Let me know if you want more specific recommendations.

Todd

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by th0001 View Post
    The Mytee 870 Lite II is a smaller, but powerful extractor that can should fit in most Mobile rigs, unless you are using a small car like a Corolla.

As far as getting started, I would recommend starting slow (keeping your day job if possible) and focusing on garnering the experience necessary. It may be hard to get the first couple of clients, but your goal should be increasing quality and/or efficiency. It pays to know your market as well: Detailers in more affluent areas may focus on higher end exotic cars and charge a premium, were detailers in more normal areas are likely better served to focus on volume work. Each is an art forum and there is no replacement for experience.

A couple of tips regardless. Focus on really cleaning the areas the driver will sense. Clean and wax under the door handle, they will feel that every time they open the door. Make sure the steering wheel is completely cleaned and scrubbed. Most steering wheels get very grimy as we transfer our oil, moisturizer, grime, and dirt from hands to them. Cleaning them thoroughly will restore that soft feel and make quite an impression the first time the owner grabs the wheels. Make sure the windows are crystal clear and streak free. Make sure the insides of the wheels and brake calipers are spotless. It is the little things that make the biggest impressions on new clients.

As far as pricing, this will depend on your market, but Sam Walton (Wal-Mart fame) said it best, "Be the cheapest or most expensive, but do not be one of the millions in the middle." Do not under estimate how much people are willing to pay for good, reliable, quality work regardless of your market. You must keep it relative though.

I would focus on Meguiar`s Detailer and Mirror Glaze, Eimann Fabrik, and Optimum car care products. Each can be bought in bulk, making it cost effective, and offers great products. Let me know if you want more specific recommendations.

Todd
    I am so glad you offered your advise, I am still working FT but will be facing a layoff in the near future approx 3 months or less. This doesn`t mean that I will be jumping straight into detailing on my own FT but perhaps taking on more of a PT roll then a weekend warrior on it. I absolutely need more experience - I know where I want to be but can be honest to say I`m not there yet. I have found myself almost trying to race through a detail trying to achieve better volume, doesn`t feel right and I don`t like the results.

Until I really started to sink my teeth in I didn`t realize how much more to fine detailing there was then what met the eye.
    Great tips, especially like polishing the inside of the door handle - simple but very effective. Still working on mastering a number of things.

Not having anyone in my social circles that is really into detailing for the results I want to achieve is the reason I started looking into the web for answers, glad I have stumbled on to TID. I may ask some lame questions but I have to get the info somewhere.
    I will be doing a lot of brain picking .. you have all been warned :driving: Thanks!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information