Thread: Hello

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello all, I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Jeff and I am a proud owner of a 2002 NBM Camaro SS. I am 28 years old and enjoy keeping my car looking as pristine as possible. I found out about this site from another car forum. I hope to learn many new tips and tricks from the wealth of knowledge on this site. First, how to use an orbital buffer on my car to get rid of those annoying swirl marks that countless layers of Zaino Z-5 has not covered up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome, Jeff! Be prepared to be bombarded with information and knowledge. I haven`t been here but a few months, and already I have learned more than I could have ever imagined. Enjoy Autopia!

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by tkajeff

First, how to use an orbital buffer on my car to get rid of those annoying swirl marks that countless layers of Zaino Z-5 has not covered up.
    :welcome, tkajeff. Hope you`ll find lots of good info here.

Let me toss in just a couple of bits of info.

The Porter-Cable buffer is a great favorite here. 4DSC wrote The Definitive Porter Cable Accessorizing Thread which is located right here in our Hall of Fame forum. It`ll give you lots of basic info on selecting a buffer and accessories. Then you might want to check out Geekysteve`s Porter-Cable for Beginners article; it will give you lots of tips on pads and basic application/operation.

About Z5: Lately some folks seem to be reporting that the new formulation of Z5 has better swirl-hiding properties. But most of us (and I`m a dedicated Zaino user) find that the secret to successful Zaino use in in thorough preparation. You probably shouldn`t expect Z5 to do the job that a true "polish" can do for you.

Happy reading. :wavey

Post Thanks / Like
    Lynn,

Thanks a lot for the information. I just read the Geekysteve`s Porter-Cable for Beginners and am excited about buying a PC. I am also a dedicated Zaino user and I agree preparation is important. I have used Zaino exclusively since the car was brand new. Additionally, I use the new formula but I think the swirl marks are from when the dealer washed the car in their automatic machine AGAIST my instructions. I do have a question what is considered a true polish?

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome, Jeff. You`ve come to a great place!

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by tkajeff

Lynn, I do have a question what is considered a true polish?
    When I used that phrase, I was mostly alluding to the frequent "misnomers" in the industry. For example, the wonderful Z products are called "show car polish" whereas they are actually pure sealants. And lots of us grew up with our dads teaching us to "polish" the car, whereas they were actually waxing it. A polish is an abrasive that actually minimizes/removes scratches and defects. By "true polish," I mean polishes like 3M`s Perfect-It line, the Meguiar`s polishes like DACP & SFP, Menzerna`s FP & IP, etc. For a better discussion of this topic, read thru David`s articles at the "Learn" icon at the top of the page.

Hope this helps clear up my terminology.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to Autopia :up

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome I used to have a 97 30th until I totaled it I have learned a lot here. Let me recommed a few things for to you:

1. Try a bunch of products before you settle...

Post Thanks / Like
    WELCOME!!!

You`ll find that folks here are very knowledgeable.

The PC is a very nice tool and you`ll find it`s "idiot proof". I`m old and clumsy and the PC works just great for me. It polishes minor imperfections very well.

I use Poorboys Pro Polish or his SSR`s (Super Swirl Remover) which come in three grades of abrasiveness. I had 5 coats of Zaino on my white truck but took them off and now use his EX-P sealant. Not trying to sell his stuff but the polish is very good.
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

Thread Information