Thread: hello again

Post Thanks / Like

hello again

hey guys, iv been a member for a while but lost my password and just never reset it. i only posted once or twice. im 22 and live in ny. im a detailer at a local chevy dealership for the used car department. i have 5 years experiance. im here to learn alot as im getting out more and more on my own for detailing. im all about quality over quanity. my wife and i have an 07 chevy impala lt2 and we have an 07 pontiac g6 convertable black. id like to no what you guys recomend for taking care of the black cars...we drive it everyday so naturally its gets pretty crappy. usually i will clay it and wax it every 2 weeks and i wash it every 3 days. i use meguiers number 26 yellow wax paste. and if we are going to a show or just want it extra nice ill use a coat of malco cherry flash spray wax...its aersol and it really makes the car look flawless! however that shine only last a day or so. i dont want to be buffing it with a rotory and compound any more then i have to. the car looks amazing from just a couple feet away, but sometimes with the right light it shows every single flaw...so can ya help me out? thanks in advance and i hope to learn alot and maybe input my own advice at times.

here is a pic of the car

"Luck" Residue of design tuscarora dave's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: hello again

Welcome back. What machine do you intend to use? Do you have a DA polisher or just a rotary? Do you have a garage or shade to work in or will you be likely working in the direct sunlight? Would you be wanting to use a glaze to cover things up or will you be wanting to get correction without the cover up of fillers? Do you have any polishes on hand now and if so wich ones do you have? Do you have a pad selection for the machine you will be using or do you preffer to be working by hand?

Nice car by the way... These are just a few questions to help us give better advice to you.

Post Thanks / Like

i use a dewalt rotary...i use auto majic yellow, heavy cut pad, green light cut, and blue polishing pad, when i glaze i use meguiers number 7. i will be eaither detailing in my garage at home or at work. i dont mind using something to fill as long as it last more then a day. once we modify the car enuf and its not a daily driver i will do a full "restore" if you will, to really correct the problems, i just hate to spend 4 hours or so buffing when its just going to be exposed to the elements. i just started using the automajic product line a couple weeks ago as far as there compounds and glazes and such, ill get the product names and numbers tomarro.

"Luck" Residue of design tuscarora dave's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

As far as glazes go, you might want to check out Poorboy`s World Black Hole.
    poorboysworld.com
    Black Hole works very well on black and other dark colors and can be topped with a sealant such as PB (Poorboy`s) EX-P or others as well as a wax. The Natty`s Blue paste wax is great for dark colors. I would suggest adding a finishing pad to your collection and maybe picking up a bottle of PB Polish with Carnauba (blue) it is a nice polish that is a finishing type (non abrasive) and contains fillers. The gloss that PB products produce is second to none. I am not a PB salesman or nothing but I do use mostly PB stuff because I find Steve`s (Poorboy) products to be above most in quality and ease of use.

Do you live anywhere near West Nyack NY? (Tappan Zee Bridge) because Steve, owner of Poorboy`s World will be having a detailing weekend where you can try out all his products and detail your own car there and get help and suggestions from other detailers too. It is a fun time. It is Saturday and Sunday July 10th and 11th. it costs $20 and will be well worth it. Here`s a link to the thread. Good luck and feel free to ask 100 questions here as the members are friendly and helpful.

http://www.detailcity.org/forums/poo...nd-2010-a.html

Thread Information