Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Hello from the $1storedetailer

Hello everyone,
    I have been detailing cars for 20 years now. A few years back I decided to start a project. The goal of the project was to start a detailing business using only dollar store products.
    The business plan was built on the idea of absolute minimum supply cost to achieve maximum customer satisfaction. After investigating the chemical science involved with mass producers of Dollar store products, I realized there was little difference between these products and so called "Brand Name", "Designer" products. I compiled months of comparative analysis data to reach my conclusion and am now dominating the local detailing business by offering low cost quality. There is a reason Wal Mart is dominating its competitors.
    Please feel free to add any questions or comments.
    $1storedetailer

Serious no BS kinda guy forrest@mothers's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hello from the $1storedetailer

I guess all that counts is that your customers are satisfied with the end result, but I`m still a big believer in "you get what you pay for".

That applies to products and service.
    forrest

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by forrest View Post
    I guess all that counts is that your customers are satisfied with the end result, but I`m still a big believer in "you get what you pay for".

That applies to products and service.
    That pretty much sums it up for me.
    Considering that the average "Brand Name" product cost is from about 25 cents an ounce to $1.25 and ounce and that I normally use less than 6 ounces of all the products I use per detail, the $2 to $3 cost isn`t all that bad. Even the $1 store stuff has some cost so the actual difference is probably only about a dollar or so.
    If I skip the Mountain Dew, I would save more money.

FWIW, not all "Brand Name" products are expensive and more importantly, not all "Brand Name" products are good.

Like anything else in this world, as long as it works for you,that`s what is important.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW View Post
    not all "Brand Name" products are expensive and more importantly, not all "Brand Name" products are good.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Swirls?!?! NNOOOOOOO!!!!! Big Leegr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, good for you if you have found your niche market. However, dollar store stuff is almost always "ready-to-use," which means stuff like glass cleaner is mostly water. If you get a 32 oz. bottle for $1, you are paying $4 a gallon. If you were to buy a gallon of glass cleaner concentrate for, as an example, $20, and you can dilute it 10:1, you would be able to have 11 gallons of RTU cleaner for $20, which works out to about $1.82 a gallon, which would be about 45¢ per 32 oz. In this example, you would be paying more than twice the price of "Brand Name", "Designer" products by buying from a dollar store. Not as cheap as one might expect.
    APC`s can be bought for under $15 a gallon. They dilute 4:1 to 10:1. That "Awesome" stuff is in 8 to 12 oz bottles, I think. If used at full strength, 8.3¢/oz. in the 12oz. bottle. The $15/gallon stuff, used at full strength is 8.5¢/oz. Pretty similar costs. (And these gallon prices are at full retails for the "casual" user. If you are an official business and use quite a bit you`d be able to get the product even cheaper.)
    Also, you`d be carrying all these little bottles from the store to your car, then to your business. I think it`s easier (and more environmentally conscientious) to go with gallons and decant into a refillable bottle.
    I don`t recall ever seeing polishes at dollar stores.

I guess my point is, good for you in finding your customer, but as to the cost, I think you`d find going with the professional stuff would be cheaper/more cost effective than buying from the dollar store.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!

Post Thanks / Like

Paint me skeptical but I smell spam
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Doller Store spam?

Just seeking a wider scope of opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Beemer

Maybe that is the magical polish, sealant, gaze and wax!!

Dollar store spam!

Just a small amount on a sham pow and you can do 100 cars!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy View Post
    Do You think...??

I am terrible
    cwcad

DO WHAT YOU SAY.....SAY WHAT YOU DO!!!!
    www.ldkbox.com a blog about life`s details

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum, interesting screen name. Maybe you can be more specific about the products which you have found to be able performers.

Forest makes an excellent point. If your customers are satisfied, no other opinions can can trump that.

Getting what you pay for...well, that isn`t an absolute anymore. There are countless products and services whose ROI falls short. It is rarer though to get what you don`t pay for.

As Big Leegr mentioned, I don`t recall seeing any polishes at my local dollar stores (Dollar Tree, Family Dollar). And a good point about the RTU dilutions. Of course there is always the exception, and IMO the L.A. Awesome Cleaner is just that. $1/32 oz. = $4/gal and dilutable. As I stated in another post, if they would just call it a Impressive . Use it diluted 4:1 in rotation w/ ARO 1:1, AM 777 4:1, PB APC 4:1 for tires and wheel wells.

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy View Post
    Do you ever take your tinfoil hat off?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by $1storedetailer View Post
    Doller Store spam?

Just seeking a wider scope of opinion.
    I`m not going to sugar coat it, I just call it like I see it.

Based on your opening thread you sound to me like you have an agenda with this dollar store angle of the dangle. Not sure what that is but I`m sure it will come to the surface.

There are plenty of us here who shop at dollar stores, however if you think the products that come from these stores, are equal to all the other car care suppliers, your painful misguided.

They are cheaper for a reason, they have less capabilities to clean, protect or work effectively which means that you will use more to produce the results.

I didn`t need a spread sheet of data to figure that out

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    No.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    not often just ask the wife

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

"Luck" Residue of design tuscarora dave's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to DC, I hope to see you stick around long enough to elaborate on your processes. I have to say that this a first for me to see a dollar store detailer post at DC. I used to buy my towels for wheel and engine cleaning etc. at the dollar stores, other than tire shine (silicone based) and maybe Nu-Finish, I don`t remember seeing much else there that would even be close to a polish.

I am interested to see one of your "full Dollar Store Details". No disrespect intended with this comment but, I would be willing to bet my last dollar that there will be no direct sun reflection in any of the photos.

As said earlier Welcome to DC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information