Post Thanks / Like
    Well not everywhere yet, but I just saw some light swirls on the trunk of my Brickyard 350Z yesterday, so I stopped procrastinating and I come now looking for the experts.

My previous car was a 1995 Ford Probe GT in blue (Royal Blue) that I had started protecting with Meguires when I first bought it, and after that I switched to Blue Coral Autofom. I like to keep my cars clean, and I find it relaxing to wash and wax my cars. There were many swirls marks in that car, but with a clean car and the autofom, many people always assumed that it was new. Right now I am looking to switch to better products since I am down to my last few bottles of Autofom, but I don`t want to pay $50.00 for 2 ounces, and I am looking for better methods.

If you think that you can convert me into a detailing professional, I will listen to any words that you have to say. Thanks for such a good board.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to Autopia! :wavey

You might want to take some time and search the forum for subjects that interest you, like swirl marks. It`s a topic covered at least once a week and there`s a huge amount of info already available.
    2000 Civic GPF1 Edition, 5-spd, Milano Red...she`s in good hands now!

Detailing products in Montreal. If you can, please contribute.

Post Thanks / Like
    Heuge,

To help you in your searches. Try searching for DACP, SFP, Diamond Cut, SMR. That should get you a tonne of information and help you out.

To help you out, we`ll need some additional information:

1. What is your current wash procedure (products, methods, wash mitt (cotton, sheepskin, brush etc.)?

2. What is drying technique.

3. Towels? Microfiber or 100% cotton or something else?

Generally, it`s accept that Meguiars Body Shop line and Professional line`s are very top grade and so are 3M Perfect III line. There`s a couple of new guys that are producing some very interesting products (Poorboy and Clearkote).

The biggest way to deal with Swirls is to try avoid getting them in the first place. Which means, very careful washing (2 bucket method). Microfiber or only 100% USA Made cotton is the way to go.

Anyway, read through the searched threads and you`ll be amazed at the amount of information here!
    Too many products ... too few cars!

Post Thanks / Like
    What they said! :xyxthumbs

And welcome to Autopia. :welcome

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to Autopia :xyxthumbs

Steven

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey heuge,

I have a superblack 350z and I too have some minor surface swirling. I am taking my car to the best detail shop in my town this weekend to rid me of this problem and get my car ready for some shows. He is going to polish the surface scratches and then go over it with a coat of polymer sealant. He says this will do the trick. He recommended touchless car washes after that to prevent any marring.

The more you touch you car in the way of washing the more you increase your chance of harming the paint.

When you dry your car try just lying the MF towel on the car`s surface and letting it absorb with as little dragging as possible.

Hopes this helps, let me know how your car turns out.

A fellow 350z lover

Post Thanks / Like
    Heuge and bigwes,

Careful washing is the key to minimizing swirls. Touchless washes are okay for getting the "junk" off of your car but they can`t replace a washing by hand.

Plus, touchless washes can use some pretty harse detergents which will decrease the protection of waxes/sealants and the high pressure jets can actually embed dirt into your finish. Once in a while they are fine (in the winter they can be a must) but it`s definitely not the way to go with those great 350Z`s.

Look around the board for the 2 bucket method, invest in some high quality sheepskin mitts, get a few waffleweave microfiber from JTs, DT or Davidb, and some good car soap (Gold Class, Zaino etc.) or QEW (Quick and Easy Wash from Protectall).

Black - you`ll almost always have to contend with some very minor marring, spiderwebs or swirls. However, with careful washing, the polishing will be a kept to a minimum.

Paco

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh yeah, drying your car.

Best option - Use Deionized water and sheeting technique as it won`t leave water spots

Use a leaf blower to push water out of crevices.

Use high quality microfiber Waffleweave towels to dry or in a pinch 100% cotton USA made towels (remove the binding).

And last but not least :ca :welcome :spot

Thread Information