Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 981 Cayman S

Post Thanks / Like

981 Cayman S

While this username is not really a new user but rather a `re-invented` BudgetPlan1, some recent life changes have led me to retire the BudgetPlan1 username in the interest of any real or perceived objectivity/conflict of interest issues. I recently left my job at the Pool Company, sold my house and moved from Cleveland down to New Albany,OH to work with the folks at Esoteric Detail. Since they are a detailing products vendor, any posting I do could rightfully be seen as biased or self-promoting but since I still enjoy all the folks I`ve met here, if nobody finds it inappropriate I`d like to continue reading (but not contributing) to the forum under this new username. I sent a note to the Admins to `retire` the username BudgetPlan1 but have not yet heard back.

It was just something that `happened` (and rather quickly at that) as a result of my wanting to get out from under the burden of living in a 70 year old house in the forest...I just didn`t really enjoy that life anymore and given the recent housing market craziness, decided to `get while the getting was good`. Original plan was to sell and find a place closer to work at the pool company as the 80 mile daily freeway commute was wearing on me (and my cars); wanted to rent for a year, hope the housing market crashed and then buy a newer house close to the pool company, which I had planned to work at until retirement as it was really a uniquely great place to work. Life sometimes opens an unexpected door however, and when picking up the Cayman at Esoteric after the respray/PPF and coating project, I mentioned I was pondering selling my house. I had often joked that if they ever "...needed a 58-year old guy to sweep the floors, I was their man!" and the conversation sorta raised some possibilities if I was willing to move outta Cleveland.

Kinda went back and forth for a bit, tossing around some scenarios and one night wife and I looked at each other, decided the details were amenable, shrugged and said "Well, what the heck, should be a great adventure!".

5 weeks later, house had been listed and sold, 30 years of household crap had been purged (rented a 40-yard dumpster, filled it to the brim), the remainder loaded onto a moving truck and we moved into a condo in New Albany w a 1 year lease. I *really* enjoy living in a modern place w/ electrical outlets every 6 feet and a ton of closet space; what the heck, people in the late 1950`s didn`t need storage?

Anyway, I`m not working in the shop area, they have some really talented young folks for that (no need for this aging geriatric to get in the way) but rather client & product support, vendor relations, a bit of social media stuff, product development and research...stuff that keeps me far away from the $$$$ cars

Bummer that we can only keep 2 cars at condo (single floor, ranch-style condo w enclosed 2 car garage) and I`m not sure yet if I`m allowed to wash cars there (gonna give it a go and see if anyone calls and complains) so daily driving the Corvette and Cayman until temps drop when we`ll switch to the Honda`s for winter. I`m told Winters down here are mild enough w/ regards to a lot of snow that we could drive Vette and Cayman year round with temperature-appropriate tires....but likely won`t.

Big bonus for me is that I traded a daily 80 mile, round-trip freeway commute for a 5-mile round trip commute through some nice local roads. And no more getting up at 4:30am.

So I guess I really am "Done messing around with ceramic coatings..." in that thread but if no one finds it inappropriate would still enjoy keeping track of what folks are doing here as `981 Cayman S`.

Many thanks to all on Autopia, have learned so much here from so many great people, `tis the place I always turned to when I wanted REAl answers to my questions from REAL people.
    Thanks Stokdgs, atbalfour thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 981 Cayman S

Good luck with your new adventure.
    Thanks 981 Cayman S thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Wow...kind of a pre-retirement retirement...or something. That`s a whole lotta changes going on.
    Likes 981 Cayman S liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Wow...kind of a pre-retirement retirement...or something. That`s a whole lotta changes going on.
    Was just kinda feeling stagnant, coulda kept `riding the train` with minimal effort but the opportunity (and to some degree, the `unknown`) was too compelling to pass up. I`ve always really liked it down here and who I work with has always been as important as what I`m doing and the folks down here have been very cool since I first met `em in 2016. So far, so good with a lot of optimism going forward, somewhat of a renewed sense of purpose. Seeing all the shiny, cool cars certainly helps...at the end of the day I`ve been a car dork ever since I picked up my brothers Hot Rod magazine in 7th grade.

When I ditched the corporate cubicle life in 2012 I targeted pools, cars or airplanes as entertaining vocations; done with pools, on to cars!

Post Thanks / Like

Huge moves! I`d be interested to hear what life will be like working in the car detailing supply industry. I still read your blog posts all the time and am thankful for everything you have contributed over the years. (From a long, long time lurker finally turned recent poster). Best of luck to you.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats BudgetPlan, errr Cayman man! Really happy for you and I think this will reinvigorate you and will be a positive change for you and Esoteric. Looking forward to you continuing to be involved in the forum and also will be following you and Esoteric more closely. I may be reaching out to you if I ever get a new car to get it PPFd. Thanks for all you’ve shared in the past as it was great and informative reading.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crg001 View Post
    Huge moves! I`d be interested to hear what life will be like working in the car detailing supply industry. I still read your blog posts all the time and am thankful for everything you have contributed over the years. (From a long, long time lurker finally turned recent poster). Best of luck to you.
    Thanks...should be fun! After washing my car once at the shop I`ve realized how inefficient my driveway process was
    Likes crg001, JustJesus liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Mi Amigo,
    Congratulations !!!

I am so happy for you and your sweetheart ! This sounds like the most perfect job, and in a place you and well, most car-guys/gals, would love to go to every day!

Thank you sooo much for ALL that you have Always contributed and Given to so many!!! And your Avatar !!!!

So nice to not have that commute any longer either... Driving used to be so enjoyable - a long time ago -.. Now, it seems to be mostly trying to avoid getting jacked by jack-hats on the road..

I hear nothing but great things from these people, and have read a lot from their founder and owner for years.. You will have so much fun going to work every day! Good for you and your family !

I am so glad you are not moving away and also moving away from us..
    Dan F
    Likes 981 Cayman S, Drblatz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Best of luck sir.. sounds like an exciting new adventure and a break from what you had become used to. Those sort of challenges are needed every now and then and I`m sure you`ll enjoy and make the most of the new experience.

Please do continue to post (as you). All of your posts, not just those related to your testing are greatly valued! I`m sure you`ll be able to strike a good balance without coming remotely close to being a salesman or annoying anyone!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crg001 View Post
    Thanks! It is quite interesting to wander the shelves, surrounded by many of my favorite products! Even the faint aroma of the sealed containers of Iron Remover seem a little less pungent as i walk by Bonus points for hearing all the exhaust notes as cars come and leave the detail shop!

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    Congrats BudgetPlan, errr Cayman man! Really happy for you and I think this will reinvigorate you and will be a positive change for you and Esoteric. Looking forward to you continuing to be involved in the forum and also will be following you and Esoteric more closely. I may be reaching out to you if I ever get a new car to get it PPFd. Thanks for all you’ve shared in the past as it was great and informative reading.
    I *really* became a fan of PPF and coating after having it done; the self-healing is quite convenient for when a very light `oops` happens Changes are, in this case, very good methinks...going from being the guy with all the answers at the pool company to the guy with NO answers (yet) here is quite invigorating.

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Mi Amigo,
    Congratulations !!!

I am so happy for you and your sweetheart ! This sounds like the most perfect job, and in a place you and well, most car-guys/gals, would love to go to every day!

Thank you sooo much for ALL that you have Always contributed and Given to so many!!! And your Avatar !!!!

So nice to not have that commute any longer either... Driving used to be so enjoyable - a long time ago -.. Now, it seems to be mostly trying to avoid getting jacked by jack-hats on the road..

I hear nothing but great things from these people, and have read a lot from their founder and owner for years.. You will have so much fun going to work every day! Good for you and your family !

I am so glad you are not moving away and also moving away from us..
    Dan F
    Thank you my friend! I found an old social media post i sent to my wife 5 years ago after stopping at Esoteric for the first time in 2016...
    981 Cayman S-screenshot_20210915-072922_instagram.jpg

One of the real challenges so far is getting used to a new layout in the kitchen of the new place; for 30 years I`ve been `moving to the right` to access the kitchen garbage but the new kitchen layout necessitates a `move to the left`...baffling so far And my my wife didn`t set up the new kitchen cabinets and drawers to more closely reflect our old place, I do not know!

Quote Originally Posted by atbalfour View Post
    Best of luck sir.. sounds like an exciting new adventure and a break from what you had become used to. Those sort of challenges are needed every now and then and I`m sure you`ll enjoy and make the most of the new experience.

Please do continue to post (as you). All of your posts, not just those related to your testing are greatly valued! I`m sure you`ll be able to strike a good balance without coming remotely close to being a salesman or annoying anyone!
    Thanks for the kind words! I shall look forward to the continued knowledge I gain from the folks on Autopia, it`s been a wonderful resource free of drama and contentious nonsense, an island of sanity in the otherwise chaotic social media world.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 981 Cayman S-screenshot_20210915-072922_instagram.jpg  
    Likes crg001, Stokdgs, dgage liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

It was meant to be. It’s never to late to find you’re dream job.

Post up product reviews on what is sold by esoteric. That shouldn’t be a conflict of interest as they sell most of the same products as Autopia other than Kamikaze.

So when will you make your debut on the videos with Todd 981 Cayman S
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes 981 Cayman S, Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats!! SUPER exciting!!!
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    It was meant to be. It’s never to late to find you’re dream job.

Post up product reviews on what is sold by esoteric. That shouldn’t be a conflict of interest as they sell most of the same products as Autopia other than Kamikaze.

So when will you make your debut on the videos with Todd 981 Cayman S
    Somehow i dont think a tall, gangly, balding, 58 year old dude is the look they`re going for!

The fact that they shot/completed their recent "Day In The Life at Esoteric" video the week before i arrived was likely not a coincidence 981 Cayman S
    Likes dgage, Coatings=crack, JustJesus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats 981 Cayman S (FKA BudgetPlan1) on the career and domicile living arrangement moves.
    I am kinda curious what you threw out in that 40-cubic yard dumpster from your old house because as the saying goes, "What is one man`s junk is another man`s treasure." My Dad would always add his corollaries to proverbs, cliches, and sayings and for this one he added "It becomes another man`s junk, anyway."
    I do hope that you will continue posting here as much as you have in the past. Hey, you`ve got the time: instead of driving for your long commute you can "blog" here. I REALLY like your thread topic that started as " I think I am done messing around with coatings", which I think is the longest surviving thread topic that has taken on a life of its own. (In the words of WWII German solder as portrayed by Arty Johnson on late 1960`s-early 1970`s comedy show Rowan and Martin`s Laugh In, "Interesting! Verrrry interesting!!")

That and posting your detailing and trip exploits with your Porsche Cayman S. Between you and Sizzle Chest I get both my detailing "fix" and Porsche "fix" from your posts AND you both get my nosy, detailers-want-to-know Captain Obvious questions concerning both subject matters.
    Here`s one:
    Did you divest yourself of any business interest in the pool company you worked for/managed/owned (not exactly sure what your association was(is) with that business entity)?

Wishing you and yours the best!!
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

WOW sounds like a great adventure is heading your way, hope you have fun with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information