So life took me away, then slapped me upside the head! On 1/21/2021 my 2013 chevy silverado 1500 failed a NYS safety inspection due to severe frame rust through! ... In spite of the fact that when I bought it, I also bought ECP AUTO ARMOR paint/rust protection. As a matter of fact, it was sprayed 3 separate times. Making matters worse, I submitted the claim the same day but because the warranty expired 2 days before, they denied my claim! ... Even though rust through of heavy frame steel just doesn`t happen in 2 days (so the damage clearly happened while under warranty).
Anyway, folks at my garage indicated that due to the condition of the frame, a repair would just be a bandaid, so a search began to find a good used southern frame. after 2-3 weeks, all we came up with were frames too rusty or bent from collisions. I bit the bullet and had them order a new frame from GM.
It may seem nuts to some to put around $8k into an 8 year old truck, but with 50,700 miles, and an excellent engine, tranny, and body, I had little choice as I couldn`t drive it, sell, or trade it like it was!
So a new frame was installed or should I say, my truck was tore down and rebuilt on top of a new frame. They did an awesome job and I`m back on the road again...and this time, the frame, axles, under body and inside panels were all well treated with FLUID FILM, that I will update annually.
So with my new, old truck, and a renewed sense of `new car fever`, I`m back here to show `n tell and learn.
regards, ~Mike V.