Post Thanks / Like

I guess I`m new here...

Although I first found this forum in 2003 while looking for info on detailing my new(to me) black 2000 Chevy Blazer. I guess I never signed up or the member list doesn`t go back that far since I can`t find any posts from email addy`s I used back then. I did buy a few times from the store, those email receipts are still hanging around.

Anyway, I`m back. My son gave me back the 2002 4Runner Limited I gifted him with in 2013(after I paid for the water pump/timing chain/radiator replacement). Naturally, it`s black with silver trim. It only has 344K miles on the odo and it`s been well maintained so I figured I`d sell it. Sadly, I let it sit through pine pollen season here in Georgia and didn`t do any washing or even hosing it off. So the roof looks like the south end of a northbound Fido....

That prodded me into getting interesting in detailing again so here I am. I`m looking forward to seeing what`s new and picking up tips on how to get the 4Runner looking halfway decent again.

Best to all,
    Bill
    Likes Liz@Autopia liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I guess I`m new here...

Welcome back...I also joined in...2004, I believe. The forum has gone through a lot of changes...I believe there are what once were 4 separate forums combined together, so it`s not surprising you can`t find your old posts. A moderator may be able to resurrect your old account.
    Thanks billg71 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Bill, welcome back to the forum!
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome back

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome back!

As Setec Astronomy said, there have been a few changes around here so I can`t guarantee anything, but if you want to send me a private message with the email address you used for the old account I`d be happy to take a look and see if we can recover it for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome and welcome back!
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Welcome back...I also joined in...2004, I believe. The forum has gone through a lot of changes...I believe there are what once were 4 separate forums combined together, so it`s not surprising you can`t find your old posts. A moderator may be able to resurrect your old account.
    Same boat as you, I do remember your name from back in the day. Welcome back.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to Liz, it turns out I did have a membership here long ago and far away, and she found it! So I`m officially back, for what it`s worth.

Thanks to all for the warm welcome!
    Likes Liz@Autopia liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by billg71 View Post
    Although I first found this forum in 2003 while looking for info on detailing my new(to me) black 2000 Chevy Blazer. I guess I never signed up or the member list doesn`t go back that far since I can`t find any posts from email addy`s I used back then. I did buy a few times from the store, those email receipts are still hanging around.

Anyway, I`m back. My son gave me back the 2002 4Runner Limited I gifted him with in 2013(after I paid for the water pump/timing chain/radiator replacement). Naturally, it`s black with silver trim. It only has 344K miles on the odo and it`s been well maintained so I figured I`d sell it. Sadly, I let it sit through pine pollen season here in Georgia and didn`t do any washing or even hosing it off. So the roof looks like the south end of a northbound Fido....

That prodded me into getting interesting in detailing again so here I am. I`m looking forward to seeing what`s new and picking up tips on how to get the 4Runner looking halfway decent again.

Best to all,
    Bill
    Welcome back, BillG71 -
    Is the truck covered in just pollen, or is it a mix of pollen and pine tree sap, etc... ?

If you have a pressure washer, that will always help get the cleaning process moving more efficiently and faster..
    If it`s really dirty, and looks like it may have tree sap, etc., I always pressure wash it first, straight water, to knock off as much as possible, then while it`s wet, spray it all down with Meguiars Super Degreaser at 10:1 strength in a 35 ounce spray bottle..
    Let it sit for a bit, perhaps wash it with a chenille mitt, and pressure wash it all off again.. Don`t forget to open the gas filler door and get behind the door and in the opening..

If there is a lot of tree sap, (and some Pine Trees really drop a lot of it), I try to pressure wash as much off IF possible, and get the rest off with Q-tips and Goof-Off Professional in the little metal can, from H/Depot.. Just touch the sap with a wet Q-tip for a few seconds, see if it comes off on the tip, and wipe off that spot quickly with a microfiber towel that is absorbent short pile.. It`s tedious but it works for me and I have never hurt any marque vehicle paint..

That`s how I do it..
    Good luck with this !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Welcome back, BillG71 -
    Is the truck covered in just pollen, or is it a mix of pollen and pine tree sap, etc... ?

If you have a pressure washer, that will always help get the cleaning process moving more efficiently and faster..
    If it`s really dirty, and looks like it may have tree sap, etc., I always pressure wash it first, straight water, to knock off as much as possible, then while it`s wet, spray it all down with Meguiars Super Degreaser at 10:1 strength in a 35 ounce spray bottle..
    Let it sit for a bit, perhaps wash it with a chenille mitt, and pressure wash it all off again.. Don`t forget to open the gas filler door and get behind the door and in the opening..

If there is a lot of tree sap, (and some Pine Trees really drop a lot of it), I try to pressure wash as much off IF possible, and get the rest off with Q-tips and Goof-Off Professional in the little metal can, from H/Depot.. Just touch the sap with a wet Q-tip for a few seconds, see if it comes off on the tip, and wipe off that spot quickly with a microfiber towel that is absorbent short pile.. It`s tedious but it works for me and I have never hurt any marque vehicle paint..

That`s how I do it..
    Good luck with this !
    Dan F
    Thanks for the suggestions, Dan. It`s just pollen, no tar, and I had the local detailer wash it but the roof is trashed. I don`t know if it`s long-term lack of cleaning or the pollen, but there`s damage to the paint. I`m starting to think it`s just a result of running it through a car wash over the years(I got the car in 2010) and accumulated crud where the rotary brushes didn`t hit.

I`ve compounded the roof with a Meg`s microfiber pad and their cutting compound and it didn`t really help. So I sanded with 2000 and 3000 Abralon, the paint feels smooth but looks like Fido`s a## in places around where the roof rack and cross rails were, mostly in the corners. I`m thinking I`ll follow up with compound, polish, and Meg`s M7 glaze to cover up the white cracks. Then a couple coats of M26 and call it done.

I`m gong to start a thread about this and other problems, just haven`t had time. Stay tuned....

Thanks again for your help!

Best,
    Bill
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Thread Information