Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Am I in the right place?

I understand you guys clean cars around here? ; )
    Sage advice from Greg Nichols: "Hey, Supe? When you`re trying to get the air bubble out of your syringe of Opti-Coat, don`t point it at your face, mmmkay?"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Am I in the right place?

There might be a couple of people here that might do that
    Likes SuperBee364 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve been known to go to the self serve a time or two.

Post Thanks / Like

We never thought you were coming back, Supe!

Post Thanks / Like

I feel like it`s more of a slow buffing off of the clear coat....
    Am I in the right place?Am I in the right place?Am I in the right place?Am I in the right place?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Likes Tc99m, SuperBee364, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    We never thought you were coming back, Supe!
    Heya, Setec, yeah it`s been a while. Honestly, for a while there *I* thought I wasn`t gonna be coming back, either. Had a few health hiccups there for a few years. But six spine surgeries later, I think I`m finally getting the upper hand on it. Kinda put a bit of a kink in my detailing. I`ve managed to keep my own vehicles clean, but I haven`t detailed a car for someone else for more years than I`d like to think about. Actually, I had to have Greg Nichols polish my last new car a few years back. Poor Greg had to put up with me hovering over him the whole time he`s polishing... "Dangit, Greg, you missed a spot!"

I`m still using my old CR Spotless, foam cannon, BHB, and John Deere gas PW for bi-weekly (mostly touchless, except for the BHB ) cleanings. I used to do a completely touchless wash on my cars every two days, but due to my stupid back, it`s now every two weeks if I`m lucky.

Glad to see there`s at least one of The Old Guard still around. : )

Edit: Wow, I only have 47 posts!
    Sage advice from Greg Nichols: "Hey, Supe? When you`re trying to get the air bubble out of your syringe of Opti-Coat, don`t point it at your face, mmmkay?"

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, sorry about your back. How did that affect your work?

It got a little muddled here when they combined Autopia and Autopia Forums, that`s probably why your post count is off. The moderators can fix that.

As far as the "Old Guard"...that word "old" is kind of a sore point between me and Accumulator ...I`m sure he`ll be around shortly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Wow, sorry about your back. How did that affect your work?

It got a little muddled here when they combined Autopia and Autopia Forums, that`s probably why your post count is off. The moderators can fix that.

As far as the "Old Guard"...that word "old" is kind of a sore point between me and Accumulator ...I`m sure he`ll be around shortly.
    Work has.... suffered. : / I`ve been on a medical leave of absence from flying since May 1, 2015. That was the day the chronic back pain I`d had for 30 years finally caught up with me and put me down hard. The first thing to go was the detailing in 2012, then flying in 2015. I had some pretty bad nerve damage from a poorly done lumbar spine surgery that has caused me to lose some of the use of my left leg. And just to add fuel to the fire, I`ve had cervical spine surgery, too. But I`m making good progress, finally, and hope to be back to work by the end of the year. Luckily, us pilots have pretty good disability benefits, so the family has stayed well-fed. ; )

Bad news: My wonderful old 2008 Super Bee is gone. Good news: Last week, we brought home a metallic blue Tesla Performance Model 3 "Stealth" addition. It is a limited run vehicle that has the acceleration, horse power, and torque of the regular Model 3 Performance, but doesn`t have the performance suspension, wheels, brakes, spoiler, or aluminum brake and accelerator pedals. Because of my traitorous spine, I`m very glad that it doesn`t have the hard Performance suspension.

I was able to avoid most of the dealer installed paint swirls. I had told my Sales Advisor to please deliver the car to me "in the wrap", but he was a bit late in getting the word to the acceptance team; they had washed the car, and had just started polishing it with a rotary when he stopped them. So I do have some pretty bad buffer trails on one small section, but the rest of the car is in pretty good shape considering that they did wash it.

So now I`m considering what my process is going to be with the paint... I know I`m going to polish it to perfection, but I`m unsure at this point what my LSP is going to be. I`m waaaay out of date with such things. At some point, I`m going to use xPel paint protection film on the entire vehicle, but that`s going to be an ongoing process... a panel here, a panel there, until it`s finally done. Until then, I thought I`d come back here for some guidance on a good long term LSP. Something along the lines of a modern version of the old Opti-Coat, or maybe one of the new ceramics that seem to be the latest rage. Any guidance along those lines is greatly appreciated, btw. : ) Sheesh, I don`t even know what polishes are in style nowadays.

Regardless, I`m just glad that I`m finally back to the point where I can actually think about cleaning and/or polishing my car. It`s going to be a many day, one-panel-at-a-time thing, but at least I can finally do it!

Sure glad to hear that you and Accumulator are still here to keep the new guys in line. ; ) Man, I`ve missed you guys and this forum. Very glad to see Autopia still here and spreading the detailing "love".
    Likes Marine Clerk, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Good to see you back! Glad things are heading in the right direction!
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SETEC Astronomy
    Heh heh, you bet that "old" is a point of contention for me! Nothing "old" about this guy as he nears 60

SuperBee364- Hey, welcome back!

I think of you often, and FWIW I took your advice to heart and will *sometimes* go straight to a RW after the BHB step instead of always doing an intermediate "Mitt pass". Working fine, and I never would`ve risked it had you not said that the..oh, how did you put it?...something like "rinseless wash voodoo".. can really be OK once you get the big stuff off.

I hope your back/leg issues continue to improve, and that we see you around here again. You were indeed missed!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tom p. View Post
    Good to see you back! Glad things are heading in the right direction!
    Tom! Good to hear from ya. Yeah, it really is nice to be able to think that going out and working on the car is now within the realm of "things that are possible to actually do" now.

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Heh heh, you bet that "old" is a point of contention for me! Nothing "old" about this guy as he nears 60

SuperBee364- Hey, welcome back!

I think of you often, and FWIW I took your advice to heart and will *sometimes* go straight to a RW after the BHB step instead of always doing an intermediate "Mitt pass". Working fine, and I never would`ve risked it had you not said that the..oh, how did you put it?...something like "rinseless wash voodoo".. can really be OK once you get the big stuff off.

I hope your back/leg issues continue to improve, and that we see you around here again. You were indeed missed!
    Accumulator! I`m glad to hear that! Through "the spinal years", I often could do nothing more than go out with a one quart bucket of ONR and gently wash one small panel of the car. I ended up using it on panels that were far dirtier than what I would`ve previously felt comfortable washing in this manner. And to this day, I swear it truly *is* rinseless wash voodoo. Just this past week, I finally ran out of my five gallon supply of ONR that I bought back in 2013. I just replaced it with a brand new gallon of ONR that I haven`t used yet. I hope the current formula of ONR is as good as the old stuff. I`ve actually kept the remains of a first generation ONR gallon, as I love that polymer smell that it had. Reminded me of "new car" scent. I`m now metering it out for interior use only for that wonderful new car smell. The current stuff smells like cheap bubble gum to me.

I really tried hard to keep the cars clean through "the spinal years", but my wife banned me from the pressure washer for quite a few years after it knocked me on my butt one time when I pulled the trigger on the pressure wand. LoL, it would`ve made a hilarious YouTube video. Ended up spending a lot of money at the touchless drive-through. I`d run it through that, then park the car in the garage and gently ONR as much of the car as my back would permit. This was an attempt at following my old "get the big stuff off first" mantra I used to chant in regards to using RW products.

But I`m finally back to my old process of: foam cannon, HP rinse, foam cannon followed up with BHB with continuous DI water flush, then very gentle ONR (pre-spraying each panel with ONR first) with the old shaggy Euro MF followed by air dry. This is for dirty cars, though. I`m looking forward to now being able to wash the cars frequently enough that I`ll be returning back to just foam cannon, rinse, then BHB/continuous DI water flush, air dry. That is, if I`m able to get the LSP up to snuff that it`ll release the dirt well enough to skip any real paint touching. I still avoid actual paint touching unless it`s truly necessary. And after all these years, I`ve finally convinced the wife that her fingers and finger nails are *not* detailing tools. ; ) My BHB is in desperate need of replacement, though, and have no idea what to replace it with. It`s starting to mar the paint a bit. : / Montana Brushes used to make pretty good BHB`s. Are they still around and any good?

I really appreciate the "welcome back"... smiling even as I type this. You guys are the greatest.
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome back !!!! Good to see you posting again
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBee364 View Post
    Heya, Setec, yeah it`s been a while. Honestly, for a while there *I* thought I wasn`t gonna be coming back, either. Had a few health hiccups there for a few years. But six spine surgeries later, I think I`m finally getting the upper hand on it. Kinda put a bit of a kink in my detailing. I`ve managed to keep my own vehicles clean, but I haven`t detailed a car for someone else for more years than I`d like to think about. Actually, I had to have Greg Nichols polish my last new car a few years back. Poor Greg had to put up with me hovering over him the whole time he`s polishing... "Dangit, Greg, you missed a spot!"

I`m still using my old CR Spotless, foam cannon, BHB, and John Deere gas PW for bi-weekly (mostly touchless, except for the BHB ) cleanings. I used to do a completely touchless wash on my cars every two days, but due to my stupid back, it`s now every two weeks if I`m lucky.

Glad to see there`s at least one of The Old Guard still around. : )

Edit: Wow, I only have 47 posts!
    well I don’t know you but we definitely share the back issues. I’ve had 6 spine surgeries as well. Three cervical and three lumbar. Unfortunately they won’t do the thoracic area. After 6 years of my life spent in a zero gravity chair, day and night, I finally got a little bit of my life back. Pain pumps are an amazing tool in fighting back pain. Good luck with the detailing. If you ever need anyone to talk to who understands what you go through send me a PM. I try to get on here every couple days or so.

Post Thanks / Like

SuperBee364:
    Thanks for checking in with this Autopia forum again. Yes, you are in the right place! (I`d say "again" again, but that would be redundant)

Sorry to hear about all your back/spine/nerve issues. For some reason, that seems to be a re-occurring medical malady within this detailing fraternity and if misery loves company, then you do, indeed, have fellow Autopians who can sympathize and relate to what you have (and are) going through.
    Not sure how you feel about loosing your 2008 SuperBee, but I guess there are many reasons why you are going to the Tesla electric-powered vehicle. Much like those who clung to the horse-and-buggy days when the "horseless carriages" first came, so are those of us who (ardently) "prefer" combustion engine-powered vehicles, but those days are numbered, and history repeats itself.

Anyway, keep us informed about how the Tesla works out for you and what you do detailing-wise to it.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

SuperBee364- Heh heh, I had to chuckle over your liking the older version of ONR; I have their v2.0 (polymer scent, sounds like yours and AFAIK they`re on v3.0 now, the v1.0 being ancient history even my my standards) and I utterly *hate* it for Detailing use! Hey, seems to be just me, but FWIW I`m LOVING Garry Dean`s Infinite Use Detail Juice...just sayin` in case you ever want to try something else.

Yikes, I can`t imagine washing without the pressure washer now that I`ve had one (again) for a while, but yours is obviously a *LOT* more potent than mine! Glad you`re able to use it again. And like you, I can occasionally (almost typed "often") get away with a Home-Touchless even though I don`t use my FoamCannon thing (never have, doubt I ever will). I credit my current fave LSP for that, it sheds everything great and prevents etching from bugs/birds so well I no longer even think about them.

SO, FWIW#2 (so easy to try spending your money ), if you ever want to try a diff LSP, I can heartily endorse FK1000P. Though it might not have quite the El Perfecto Autopian LSP Look to your eyes, hard to predict such subjective stuff. But I do like it fine on my blue Audi, a color (and crappy-paint-condition) that I didn`t think would look right to me with that LSP on it.

Ever try spraying the RW at pressure? Guess that`s my version of the foamer/etc. attachments for the pw. Now if I could just get you using a (hose-end) foamgun with that BHB we`d be on *exactly* the same page! Speaking of BHBs...

I`d get the "Blonde"/premium one from Universal Brush. They make the Montana; this is their "better" one. I had worried that it`d be too gentle for a real-world-dirty vehicle, but it`s fine after all the preliminary steps that guys like us do. A little pricey, but it`s holding up very well and is my current recommendation.

Oh, and if you need one for wheels, go with the Wheel Woolies one. It`s *SO MUCH* better than the ones from [others] that I could hardly believe it! (Credit where credit is due: a fellow Autopian, whose name eludes me at present, compared the various BHBs for Wheels, prompting my giving the Wheel Wooly one a try, and he was right, it`s All That).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information