Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Am I in the right place?

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Heh heh, you bet that "old" is a point of contention for me! Nothing "old" about this guy as he nears 60

SuperBee364- Hey, welcome back!

I think of you often, and FWIW I took your advice to heart and will *sometimes* go straight to a RW after the BHB step instead of always doing an intermediate "Mitt pass". Working fine, and I never would`ve risked it had you not said that the..oh, how did you put it?...something like "rinseless wash voodoo".. can really be OK once you get the big stuff off.

I hope your back/leg issues continue to improve, and that we see you around here again. You were indeed missed!
    BHB?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Oops, sorry, didn`t mean to be inscrutable

BHB = Boar`s Hair Brush, which I use in conjunction with a (hose-end) foamgun, and credit for my (virtually) marring-free washes. Note that it`s a *LOT* easier to use BHBs incorrectly than it is to use them right...but like the foamgun I won`t wash without `em.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome back SuperBee364 from a new guy!

I too have big problems with the spine. Have done 2 lumbar surgerys and 1 double fusion surgery in the neck. Sadly the years that has gone on the lumbar spine is in very bad shape. For getting it fixed the doctors says it would be fusion from the L2-S1. But they won`t do that surgery as it`s too big to be doing according to them. So I live with active nerve damage that gets me a lot of pain. Will see if they do something when I don`t get out of the bed LOL. It`s 17 years now since the lower back was putting me out of being able to work. And it`s only getting worse as it`s a born defect and bad quality of the discs. Hope I can get a surgeon that`s are willing and confident to fix me when I take a run with the doctors again LOL. Did a wash today and it was 6 weeks when I last did one. So now it`s resting in the bed for a couple of days until the pain levels goes down to where they are useally. Hope you get as good as possible when you have come back fully.

Sounds like an awesome car the Tesla you got now. The Opti-Coat seemed to be too great for the consumer and is only offered by certified installers now days in the Opti-Coat Pro version. A safe and tested coating would be Carpro CQUK 3.0. The newer version is more user friendly than the later one. Some go with a top coating over it to excell the water behavior and self cleaning ability and slickness from it even more. It`s Carpro Gliss v2 and many seems to be very satisfied with the results from this combo. Forum member Budgetplan has been doing a lot of different ceramic coatings application on the fleet vehicals on his workplace. It`s awesome to read his thoughts about them from the application to looks. A rare thing he has done and worth a reading on his threads. And see if you find a coating that you get interested in. There are so many options out there now days. Then all the toppers and sealants with the SiO2 as it`s base. And hybrid waxes with SiO2 is also an option where you can get the little more carnuaba glow look and the glassy coating look combined. Angelwax has a line called Enigma which is ceramic infused products. I like the looks from the products I have tested so far in that line. But also even if the hype of coating products. Many of the old and tried great sealants still is going strong. So throw those in the mix and it gets even more huge of options. And then you throw in the carnuaba wax for it`s awesome looks. You don`t have enough of vehicals to apply all of the products you want to try out LOL. I have the Polish Angel Esclate Lotion and Master Sealant combo at home waiting to be applyied. Like the looks very much from the PA products. They are pricey unfortuneally but is made for very user friendly and the looks from it is top notch.

So it`s much of what you are after from the LSP you want to use. Then you can dial it down to a few products to chose from. Will be interesting to see which way you go with your LSP.

/ Tony
    Likes Marine Clerk, SuperBee364, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pats300zx View Post
    Welcome back !!!! Good to see you posting again
    Pat! OMG, I think about the SEMA when we met often. That was such a fun year for SEMA... met so many Autopians, it was just a blast. And I still have the shirt that you sent me! I don`t wear it very often, as it`s getting a bit worn out. I keep it in the "keep sake" section of my closet now. Man, it would be great to meet up again... are you planning on SEMA this year, by chance?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    well I don’t know you but we definitely share the back issues. I’ve had 6 spine surgeries as well. Three cervical and three lumbar. Unfortunately they won’t do the thoracic area. After 6 years of my life spent in a zero gravity chair, day and night, I finally got a little bit of my life back. Pain pumps are an amazing tool in fighting back pain. Good luck with the detailing. If you ever need anyone to talk to who understands what you go through send me a PM. I try to get on here every couple days or so.
    Dave, man, I`m so sorry to hear that you`re a "spiney", too. I wouldn`t wish spine problems on my worst enemy. It`s so incredibly debilitating... people that don`t have spine issues just have no common frame of reference as to the suffering it causes. I have a total of 8 levels fused now... three cervical and five lumbar. In my case, it was caused by Ankylosing Spondolitis. Rheumatologist has me on one of the new magic biologics that will hopefully stop the progression of it in its tracks. We`ll see. : /

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    SuperBee364:
    Thanks for checking in with this Autopia forum again. Yes, you are in the right place! (I`d say "again" again, but that would be redundant)

Sorry to hear about all your back/spine/nerve issues. For some reason, that seems to be a re-occurring medical malady within this detailing fraternity and if misery loves company, then you do, indeed, have fellow Autopians who can sympathize and relate to what you have (and are) going through.
    Not sure how you feel about loosing your 2008 SuperBee, but I guess there are many reasons why you are going to the Tesla electric-powered vehicle. Much like those who clung to the horse-and-buggy days when the "horseless carriages" first came, so are those of us who (ardently) "prefer" combustion engine-powered vehicles, but those days are numbered, and history repeats itself.

Anyway, keep us informed about how the Tesla works out for you and what you do detailing-wise to it.
    Hey Lonnie, thanks for the welcome!

I`d been keeping an eye on Tesla for years. With the Model 3, they finally hit the "sweet spot" for me with range and over all performance. I can`t believe I got an 11.6 quarter mile car for a bit over 60k! Zero to sixty in 3.4 is pretty nice, too. : ) It`ll also make a great work commute car for me once I get back to work, too. I drive 138 miles to work, take off on a three or four day trip, then drive 138 miles back home. All interstate. Electricity is so cheap where I live that I pay $0.01 per mile in electrons. So round trip, under three bucks in "gas". The car sits in the Las Vegas sun while I`m at work, so having a really good LSP is important to me.

I`d like to apply one of the professional versions of Optimum`s ceramics, but I have a feeling I`m going to have a hard time getting a hold of some, as I`m (obviously) not an Optimum approved installer. : /

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    SuperBee364- Heh heh, I had to chuckle over your liking the older version of ONR; I have their v2.0 (polymer scent, sounds like yours and AFAIK they`re on v3.0 now, the v1.0 being ancient history even my my standards) and I utterly *hate* it for Detailing use! Hey, seems to be just me, but FWIW I`m LOVING Garry Dean`s Infinite Use Detail Juice...just sayin` in case you ever want to try something else.

Yikes, I can`t imagine washing without the pressure washer now that I`ve had one (again) for a while, but yours is obviously a *LOT* more potent than mine! Glad you`re able to use it again. And like you, I can occasionally (almost typed "often") get away with a Home-Touchless even though I don`t use my FoamCannon thing (never have, doubt I ever will). I credit my current fave LSP for that, it sheds everything great and prevents etching from bugs/birds so well I no longer even think about them.

SO, FWIW#2 (so easy to try spending your money ), if you ever want to try a diff LSP, I can heartily endorse FK1000P. Though it might not have quite the El Perfecto Autopian LSP Look to your eyes, hard to predict such subjective stuff. But I do like it fine on my blue Audi, a color (and crappy-paint-condition) that I didn`t think would look right to me with that LSP on it.

Ever try spraying the RW at pressure? Guess that`s my version of the foamer/etc. attachments for the pw. Now if I could just get you using a (hose-end) foamgun with that BHB we`d be on *exactly* the same page! Speaking of BHBs...

I`d get the "Blonde"/premium one from Universal Brush. They make the Montana; this is their "better" one. I had worried that it`d be too gentle for a real-world-dirty vehicle, but it`s fine after all the preliminary steps that guys like us do. A little pricey, but it`s holding up very well and is my current recommendation.

Oh, and if you need one for wheels, go with the Wheel Woolies one. It`s *SO MUCH* better than the ones from [others] that I could hardly believe it! (Credit where credit is due: a fellow Autopian, whose name eludes me at present, compared the various BHBs for Wheels, prompting my giving the Wheel Wooly one a try, and he was right, it`s All That).
    So much good information there... and I`d rather that *you* spend my money than my wife. ; )

Man, I used to put FK1000P on my Cheerios I loved it so much. I still have an old can of it. Did they change the formula recently, or am I OK to just go ahead and use my old stuff? I ended up putting 1000p over my Opti-Coat 2.0 for better dirt releasing during the wash. Loved it. The Opti-Coat didn`t really negatively effect the durability of the 1000p, either. `Course I had to give up on maintaining it (the 1000p). Back when I was testing such things, FK1000P was the best dirt-releasing LSP I ever tried. Just a good firm stare was about all it took to get the dirt off. Seriously, though, I`d never seen the BHB more capable of releasing dirt than when used when washing a 1000P`d car.

LoL, I still have a fresh tub of Vintage, too. I`ve been thinking of going out and giving the car a good rub down with it while I wait on deciding what LSP I`m going to go with before ultimately putting paint protection film on the whole car. The PPF is going to be a years long project, though, so paint maintenance is going to be an issue for the foreseeable future.

But I`m *really* glad to hear that FK1000P is still a good LSP choice. Right now, I`m leaning toward (as mentioned above) one of Optimum`s professional ceramic coatings, with an FK1000P topper. Tesla clear coat is notoriously thin, and I like the idea of there being a sacrificial layer of the Optimum product over the top of the clear coat, even if it is whisper thin. Certainly better than nothing at all...

I also really enjoyed Opti-SEAL over the top of Opti-COAT back then, too. I`d use an air brush to spray on a good thick layer of Opti-SEAL after air brushing on the Opti-COAT. Made my clear coat look an inch deep.

Thanks so much for the info, Accumulator... man, I`m glad I just got paid...
    Sage advice from Greg Nichols: "Hey, Supe? When you`re trying to get the air bubble out of your syringe of Opti-Coat, don`t point it at your face, mmmkay?"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBee364 View Post
    Sure glad to hear that you and Accumulator are still here to keep the new guys in line. ; ) Man, I`ve missed you guys and this forum. Very glad to see Autopia still here and spreading the detailing "love".

Aah... Yep, they are certainly keeping us in line.

Sorry to hear of the severe back problems.

Am excited to get some advice from an "Original Autopian " .
    (to be totally honest, some of what you have posted, sounded like another language. I may need some translation)

Likes SuperBee364 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Welcome back SuperBee364 from a new guy!

I too have big problems with the spine. Have done 2 lumbar surgerys and 1 double fusion surgery in the neck. Sadly the years that has gone on the lumbar spine is in very bad shape. For getting it fixed the doctors says it would be fusion from the L2-S1. But they won`t do that surgery as it`s too big to be doing according to them. So I live with active nerve damage that gets me a lot of pain. Will see if they do something when I don`t get out of the bed LOL. It`s 17 years now since the lower back was putting me out of being able to work. And it`s only getting worse as it`s a born defect and bad quality of the discs. Hope I can get a surgeon that`s are willing and confident to fix me when I take a run with the doctors again LOL. Did a wash today and it was 6 weeks when I last did one. So now it`s resting in the bed for a couple of days until the pain levels goes down to where they are useally. Hope you get as good as possible when you have come back fully.

Sounds like an awesome car the Tesla you got now. The Opti-Coat seemed to be too great for the consumer and is only offered by certified installers now days in the Opti-Coat Pro version. A safe and tested coating would be Carpro CQUK 3.0. The newer version is more user friendly than the later one. Some go with a top coating over it to excell the water behavior and self cleaning ability and slickness from it even more. It`s Carpro Gliss v2 and many seems to be very satisfied with the results from this combo. Forum member Budgetplan has been doing a lot of different ceramic coatings application on the fleet vehicals on his workplace. It`s awesome to read his thoughts about them from the application to looks. A rare thing he has done and worth a reading on his threads. And see if you find a coating that you get interested in. There are so many options out there now days. Then all the toppers and sealants with the SiO2 as it`s base. And hybrid waxes with SiO2 is also an option where you can get the little more carnuaba glow look and the glassy coating look combined. Angelwax has a line called Enigma which is ceramic infused products. I like the looks from the products I have tested so far in that line. But also even if the hype of coating products. Many of the old and tried great sealants still is going strong. So throw those in the mix and it gets even more huge of options. And then you throw in the carnuaba wax for it`s awesome looks. You don`t have enough of vehicals to apply all of the products you want to try out LOL. I have the Polish Angel Esclate Lotion and Master Sealant combo at home waiting to be applyied. Like the looks very much from the PA products. They are pricey unfortuneally but is made for very user friendly and the looks from it is top notch.

So it`s much of what you are after from the LSP you want to use. Then you can dial it down to a few products to chose from. Will be interesting to see which way you go with your LSP.

/ Tony
    Man, I am so sorry to hear that you`re going through spine misery. It`s just so horrible that other people just don`t understand it. I had no idea that pain of this level even existed. I envy those that don`t know how truly horrible pain can be. After going through four surgeons, I was lucky enough to find a guy that is truly amazing; I`ll *never* go to any other spine surgeon again.

Moving onto the detailing stuff... So much great information, thank you! You just shaved hours off of my research time. Great to see so many choices available. I`ve always been a big fan of Optimum`s products, even if I strongly disagree with their pricing and marketing practices. I really appreciate you taking the time to point my research in the correct direction(s)!
    Sage advice from Greg Nichols: "Hey, Supe? When you`re trying to get the air bubble out of your syringe of Opti-Coat, don`t point it at your face, mmmkay?"
    Likes SWETM liked this post
    Thanks SWETM thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Mary B.- Heh heh, get a few of us old FK1000P/Boar`s Hair Brush fanatics together and it can indeed be like a foreign language!

SuperBee364- AFAIK, the FK1000P is still the same stuff, even if the can now says "Big White Marine" or somesuch. But then I`m still using the same tin I bought all those years ago, so I don`t *really* know for sure. Yours is a lot newer than mine, so I`d be 100% confident that yours is still OK. And thinking back to my utterly dried-out sample tin, which sold me on the stuff in the first place, even when it was "all dried out" a little FK425 softened it up enough for it to work fine.

EDIT: forgot to mention that the IUDJ and FK1000P seem 100% compatible. But then the FK seems to work fine with everything, even underlying stuff that I worried could cause bonding issues. But then hey, it did OK on top of the OptiCoat, huh?

Yeah, with the thin clear a Coating sounds like a good idea...not sure which way I`d go for that these days. What I read here just doesn`t make today`s offerings (to non-Pros) sound all that great, so I hope you come up with a good one.
    Likes SuperBee364, Mary B liked this post
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information