Post Thanks / Like

Rookie from Ontario, Canada

Hey all,
    I’m Kevin, complete novice to the detailing scene from Port Hope, Ontario, Canada. So far all I’ve gotten into is Aquapel application, 3 bucket wash, the detail garage (Chemical Guys) paint correction course and a bit of paint less dent repair. Looking forward to reading into all the ins and outs of the trade! Seems like a pretty wicked place so far from the posts I’ve been wandering through.

Current car is a silver 2011 Infiniti G37x that I baby.. but needs all sorts of paint correction and thanks to a careless pickup truck owner, a small dent removed and the paint fixed from the door ding. Pictures will be posted when I figure out how.. I assume it’s the same as most forums with an imbedded photobucket or whatever link.. right? I’ll be making my way through the newbie posts for sure but thought I’d just say hi and see if anyone’s from my area. 🇨🇦
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rookie from Ontario, Canada

Welcome! 3 buckets... that sounds intense!

Post Thanks / Like

Yessir.. over the winter I spent loooots if time watching the AMMO videos and other various videos just trying to figure out right from the basics what I’m getting myself into. So now, I have a wash, rinse, and a wheel bucket. Maybe it’s excessive, maybe not.. but I figure I should be reasonably patient and slowly gather everything I need rather than try to jump into it ill prepared and do irreversible damage. Just bought a TORX DA and can’t wait to experiment

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome.
    Thanks CdnG37x thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CdnG37x View Post
    Yessir.. over the winter I spent loooots if time watching the AMMO videos and other various videos just trying to figure out right from the basics what I’m getting myself into. So now, I have a wash, rinse, and a wheel bucket. Maybe it’s excessive, maybe not.. but I figure I should be reasonably patient and slowly gather everything I need rather than try to jump into it ill prepared and do irreversible damage. Just bought a TORX DA and can’t wait to experiment
    No worries, its all part of the journey. One tip from someone that`s been along for the ride, use your best judgement when it comes to what works for you. There are a lot of "pros" that keep one upping the other to make themselves out to be the "best". And many do a great job but a lot of what they do is applicable to garage queens/show cars and not cars that live everyday lives. Point is, don`t kill yourself to get perfect paint when life will do it`s best to destory that perfect paint. And don`t watch any of AMMO`s touchup videos...ouch!
    Likes Mary B, jimhanus liked this post
    Thanks Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    No worries, its all part of the journey. One tip from someone that`s been along for the ride, use your best judgement when it comes to what works for you. There are a lot of "pros" that keep one upping the other to make themselves out to be the "best". And many do a great job but a lot of what they do is applicable to garage queens/show cars and not cars that live everyday lives. Point is, don`t kill yourself to get perfect paint when life will do it`s best to destory that perfect paint. And don`t watch any of AMMO`s touchup videos...ouch!

Haha, understood. I’m not trying to make a collection of thousands of products, just trying to learn which ones work for me and I’ll stick to them. It’s always neat to see the big impressive collections of tools and whatnot but I know there becomes a point where it’s just not realistic or necessary.

And now I’ve gotta ask.. what’s wrong with the AMMO touch up videos? I haven’t seen others to compare to so I’m genuinely curious to know why you don’t like it

Post Thanks / Like

Kevin, welcome aboard!
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard !

This is where I landed a few years back.
    Started with Chem. Guys too, think all I use of theirs now are freebies I have been working my way through, Clear citrus wash and next up will be V07 wash.
    50/50 Wax is an absolute favorite of mine though.
    Sometimes I enjoy the Torx10 to apply wax or to polish my glass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

And now I’ve gotta ask.. what’s wrong with the AMMO touch up videos? I haven’t seen others to compare to so I’m genuinely curious to know why you don’t like it
    The one where he does the Black Mercedes G is atrocious. He used putty to fill in the scratch and then tore the paint up with a ton of unecessary sanding, End result was less than pleasing.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Kevin. There`s lots of good people here and they`re very helpful to noobs and those more experienced as well.
    What happened to the Leafs in the playoffs?

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum Kevin!

/ Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    The one where he does the Black Mercedes G is atrocious. He used putty to fill in the scratch and then tore the paint up with a ton of unecessary sanding, End result was less than pleasing.
    Haha I didn’t realize how bad it was.. I remember watching it a little puzzled. Curious how it should be dealt with though.. I guess at that point just re paint the damn thing. I mean it’s not like it’s a $70 civic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JohnZ3MC View Post
    Welcome Kevin. There`s lots of good people here and they`re very helpful to noobs and those more experienced as well.
    What happened to the Leafs in the playoffs?
    Would you believe I’m one of 5 Canadians who doesn’t watch hockey at all? I know, I know. Shaaaaaaaaaaaame

Post Thanks / Like

Haha I didn’t realize how bad it was.. I remember watching it a little puzzled. Curious how it should be dealt with though.. I guess at that point just re paint the damn thing. I mean it’s not like it’s a $70 civic
    He could have done a better job, in less time IMO with Dr. Colorchip or Langka. It wouldn`t have been perfect, but it would have been better. But yeah, repaint is the only real fix, and its Black, easy to match.

Thread Information