Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I`m not sure I belong here.

I only buy on sale or when I run out of something and really need it. I’ve always successfully avoided the flavor of the month temptation. I do quite a bit of research on the forums before deciding what to buy too.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.
    Likes BudgetPlan1, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Eh, I`m late to this party, just don`t check the "New Autopians.." threads much, but that "I`m not sure.." intrigued me.

live311- Welcome to Autopia!

I differ from the Typical Autopian to such an extent that I kinda think of myself as "The Autopian Heretic" There are more important things in Life than a shiny car, like your family. But there are ways to make even "just running it through a carwash" turn out better and this is a great place to learn about such stuff. There`s great info here for *anybody* and I don`t mean just Detailing-related stuff either!

And FWIW, I`ve known a lot of people, including busy people, kids, the elderly and infirm..you name it... who did this stuff in a far-from-extreme manner yet kept their vehicles in great shape.
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing this thread is missing now is Elton John belting out "Can You Feel The Love Tonite".
    Likes nickclark08 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Heh heh...yeah...but seriously, this is one very friendly place as online forums go. Not much, uhm...nastiness... and what does rear its head gets shut down promptly.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, live311, you belong here after owning 3 Subaru`s. Having been (past tense) a 2003 Subaru Outback owner, I understand WHY Subaru drivers LOVE their Subaru`s and end up getting another one. Living here in the upper Midwest where winter driving can be "challenging", having an All-Wheel Drive (AWD) vehicle that still gets decent gas mileage and offers some utilitarian/hauling ability is the reason I owned one. Best "feature" on my 2003 Outback? The Weather-band radio! It was just a very nice feature to have before the advent of cellphone/smartphone/mobile internet was available, especially during sever weather when travelling on the road.

As far as detailing, do not worry about "comparing" your car to the many that the professional detailers post pictures of and ask "Why can`t I make mine look like that?" Just do the best you can.
    Like any skill (and vehicle detailing IS a skill), it takes time and perseverance to master and get better at. Granted, there is some degree of talent and ability that others have "more" of, just like playing golf. But if you love taking care of your Subaru, as you state, being a part of this forum is great place to start. You can learn a lot about what new car-care products and equipment that work for detailers and which do not and how to use both of them. Again, just like the game of golf, you can spent a lot of money on equipment and playing the game or you can be a weekend "duffer", but still enjoy playing the game. It`s just that you probably will not be playing in the Masters Tournament this April in Augusta , Georgia.

I will end up saying to those who want their vehicle to look like those in this forum done by a top-notch professional detailer, but do NOT want to spent the money on products and equipment or take the 20 (or more!) hours in time to do so themselves that it may be their best economic interest to let a professional detail their vehicle. Many a professional mechanic, plumber, electrician, and carpenter have ended up fixing some well-intentioned, but total disaster, do-it-yourselfer`s "project". There is no shame in letting a professional do some thing when you recognize that you have neither the time, ability & skill, or equipment to properly do a job, although your pocketbook may not agree. (OK, it is a shameless plug for professional detailers, of which I am not, but I AM indebted to their helpful tips and product & equipment reviews relating to vehicle detailing in this forum to "improving" my own hobbyist detailing enjoyment, hence the plug!)
    GB detailer
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Yes, live311, you belong here after owning 3 Subaru`s. Having been (past tense) a 2003 Subaru Outback owner, I understand WHY Subaru drivers LOVE their Subaru`s and end up getting another one. Living here in the upper Midwest where winter driving can be "challenging", having an All-Wheel Drive (AWD) vehicle that still gets decent gas mileage and offers some utilitarian/hauling ability is the reason I owned one. Best "feature" on my 2003 Outback? The Weather-band radio! It was just a very nice feature to have before the advent of cellphone/smartphone/mobile internet was available, especially during sever weather when travelling on the road.
    My first car was a `95 Subaru Legacy wagon. It may not have been the coolest car in the world, but it got the job done. If I am ever forced to live somewhere where it snows again, I`d get another Subaru in a heartbeat.
    Likes Lonnie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

If others are late to the party, I must be the last one to arrive. Everyone here from professional to beginners, is here for the comradeship and new knowledge. I don`t believe in this group anyone will say they know it all. There`s always things one can learn no matter how much one knows or doesn`t know about a given subject. I am definitely a novice when it comes to detailing. Most of the detailing threads here I don`t have much to say, because I`m soaking up the knowledge by others. I still belong here, because I enjoy it, and am still learning a ton.
    Likes Oneheadlite, rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Still going? I had no idea what I would start with this! It poured all day today so most of the sand, salt, and bird diarrhea are gone from my Outback. At least I can see out of the windows now. And it looks like it may be warming up so maybe I can hook up the hose and get to it a little earlier than I thought

Attached is a picture of my first Subaru, taken probably at least 15 years ago. That car was impractical and noisy but fun and stylish.

And again, thanks for the encouragement. I`ll be lurking for a while, trying to learn all I can. Maybe I`ll even contribute, now and then.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I`m not sure I belong here.-car0003.jpg  
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Some perspective...some guys are all about a 100% defect free car. They polish and wax constantly. That`s OK. For some it`s relaxation or a hobby. For others it`s a business.

I was talking to a guy in his 60`s who owned an air cooled Porsch 911. He was fanatical about keeping it pristine. He had it stored in his neighbors garage for the winter. His neighbor came over one day with bad news that something had fallen and dented the front fender. The guy went over and looked at it. It was a big dent and would require quite a bit of money to fix correctly. He said that in his younger days he would have gone ballistic. He looked at his neighbor and said, I just survived stage 3 cancer. This is just a car, it`s not that important. And he left the dent as a reminder that sometimes some things in life aren`t really a big deal.
    Likes rlmccarty2000, Coleroad, nickclark08 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    Some perspective...some guys are all about a 100% defect free car. They polish and wax constantly. That`s OK. For some it`s relaxation or a hobby. For others it`s a business.

I was talking to a guy in his 60`s who owned an air cooled Porsch 911. He was fanatical about keeping it pristine. He had it stored in his neighbors garage for the winter. His neighbor came over one day with bad news that something had fallen and dented the front fender. The guy went over and looked at it. It was a big dent and would require quite a bit of money to fix correctly. He said that in his younger days he would have gone ballistic. He looked at his neighbor and said, I just survived stage 3 cancer. This is just a car, it`s not that important. And he left the dent as a reminder that sometimes some things in life aren`t really a big deal.
    Hells ya! In the end it’s just a car. They will come and go as we all will. Sit back, relax, enjoy the ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Heh heh, you Subie owners with positive ownership experiences make me *so* envious!

live311- Those were neat little coupes, lucky you for having had one (and, presumably, one of those positive experinces that kept you buying more Subarus). Don`t hesitate to ask about anything that has you wondering, and please don`t think that any Q is "too dumb" or otherwise not worth asking.

And we do discuss all sorts of stuff besides Detailing here too

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Heh heh, you Subie owners with positive ownership experiences make me *so* envious!
    That old Legacy wagon managed to pull a u-haul through the Siskiyou mountain pass in Northern CA in mid-February with no snow tires and brought us safely to Florida. I couldn`t ask for a more positive experience than that.

Post Thanks / Like

Liz@Autopia- Heh heh, that`s the kind of thing I keep hearing from other Subaru owners! My wife and I just shake our heads in wonder and think "huh, whaddya know...glad it worked out for you!"
    Likes Liz@Autopia liked this post

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information