Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Spending $200 a month at the car wash HELPPPP!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Older View Post
    Got Rid of my Overpriced Karcher PW and bought a Cheap Ryobi & Upgraded it... way better setup!!

There`s a thread in the Everything Else forum with the above title.

It`s the exact set-up I have and works great with the BOSS cannon and it`s related chemicals.

PS: It wouldn`t let me copy the address for some reason.
    Thanks for the heads up that it works with the BOSS Foam system. That`s the Pressure Washer I got after reading that thread as well.

Absolutely love having an electric washer after borrowing peoples gas ones that either never run right or have issues with the pump (even though they were owned by folks that tend to take care of their stuff). And it`s been plenty powerful for what I`m using it for. Even stripped DeckOver off of my deck with the turbo nozzle with ease, but didn`t hammer the wood below. Has also been a champ for degreasing belly pans, etc at work.

Quote Originally Posted by LGHT View Post
    Not sure what you mean when you say "method"... I did pickup the griots foaming system kit that comes with the cannon.... I plan on using that with the pressure washer for quick washes before the cars get filthy and if they are really dirty I`ll rinse, wash, rinse then apply more foam and use the mit to scrub before a final rinse. I hope that will work.
    If saving time is the name of the game, I would take the approach of: Foam with the Surface wash, rinse, evaluate: Surface film left? Proceed to rinseless wash using the multi-media (*sigh* Garry Dean Wash Method) approach.
    Between the pressurized foam application and a pressure rinse, you`d figure the grit should be blasted off so you wouldn`t have to go to great lengths (rinse, re-foam, bucket wash) to still safely wash without worrying about wash-induced-marring.

I know waterless washing is perfectly safe, but having very little experience with it I like the peace of mind that comes with a rinseless.

If you still wanted to apply the Poly Gloss after, you could: Poly Gloss Foam, Rinse, Matador dry.

Just my take on an approach, and what I`m hoping to implement when my pressure washer fitting shows up (FYI: The BOSS fitting supplied is geared towards more industrial pressure washers - the smaller Ryobi needs a different fitting). I`m in a similar boat with a 3 year old, long commute, and not enough free time to allot to keeping the cars at the level I want.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oneheadlite View Post
    ..I know waterless washing is perfectly safe...
    So they say...couldn`t prove it by me. Hard enough for some of us to wash marring-free no matter *what* we do. Not that some marring is the end of the world or anything...

Post Thanks / Like

Still don`t follow I thought the foam cannon was supposed to cut back on the amount of times you touch / scratch the paint?
    Different perspective here- I don`t care how many times I touch it, only that those touches don`t mar the paint. But yeah, "percentage of Xtouches" can be a factor. The idea behind the Foam Cannon is that it`ll get a lot of the (presumably abrasive) dirt off before there`s any touching. Sure nothing wrong with that, I just accomplish it by rinsing with the pressure washer (and no Foam Cannon). Hey, whatever works for you..and if you like doing it that`s even better; plenty of folks simply *enjoy* using the Foam Cannons.

I also don`t get what you mean when you say "polish"? Are you referring to waxing / sealing? I put on a sealer about 6 months ago..
    Sorry, didn`t mean to be inscrutable By "polishing" I meant "using an abrasive product on the paint, usually done to correct marring". If the paint has swirls/scratches/etc. and you care, that`s what you gotta do to correct it. That marring is often the result of imperfect wash technique (not DRYING as that shouldn`t cause any problems as long as the paint is perfectly clean before you touch it...assuming you use a "touch the paint" method of drying).

...and I only wash every 2-3 washes and the water still beads great.
    You mea0tn "...I only WAX every..", right? That`s still awfully frequently; I`d be bummed if I had to LSP (LSP=Last Step Product..i.e., wax/sealant/etc.) that often. Not that it matters at all if you don`t mind! Some LSPs are lucky to last that long, doesn`t mean there`s anything wrong with `em. The Souveran I use on the Jag needs redone pretty much every wash

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by showbbq View Post
    Polishing is usually done by a machine to remove paint defects, then a wax/sealant/coating can be applied to protect the paint.
    Ahh ok. I`ve only recently had 1 car "polished" the other 2 will probably need a full detail to get the paint back up to par. Nice name by the way I`m actually a Master CBJ and cook quit often. Last night was smoked fresh caught salmon with veggies!

Post Thanks / Like

Just to throw a curve ball here....I know the youtube videos say you can do a touchess wash with just the foam cannon but you`re most likely going to have to hand-wash eventually depending on your driving conditions (rain? snow? bug spats?) and how frequently you are foaming it down. I`m also not sure if you are towel drying the car after just foaming and rinsing but I would be hesitant to do that especially on a black car since the foam alone is unlikely to get everything. Now if you`re letting it air-dry (and not getting water spots) and just saying "good enough" then I see no problem with that. Just some suggestions from a (former) fellow owner of a black car. Stance on that CLS looks great btw.

Post Thanks / Like

The one I was looking at was $119 and had 1,600 PSI. For $10 I may just get the 1800 psi unit. As far as the warranty you only get a 90 day return and anything after that is through the manufacture where you MUST ship back your unit to them directly. That`s why it`s not worth it because shipping costs.
    I asked the service desk about that. They told me since Ryobi is a "house brand for them", just bring it back to them.

Post Thanks / Like

I give him 6 months before he has a polisher, pads, towels, two buckets, etc, etc, etc... lol
    Likes Older, The Guz, glfnaz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    I give him 6 months before he has a polisher, pads, towels, two buckets, etc, etc, etc... lol
    Oh,yeah.

Post Thanks / Like

Ahh ok. I`ve only recently had 1 car "polished" the other 2 will probably need a full detail to get the paint back up to par. ...
    I should add - my game plan approach above is based on the assumption the car/s involved in the process already have been corrected and LSP`d to reduce the ability for grit and grime to take as firm a hold on the paint.

And DaveT345 - you`re so right!

LGHT - The worst part about learning about all this stuff is now you know about it.

I`d recommend just taking some time to research everything you`re looking to accomplish, decide on a brand/brands and products you think will work to get you to your goal. Brand loyalty has done a lot to preserve the state of my wallet, but hasn`t done anything to reduce my ability to get the results I`m after. The hard part is there are so many great products on here.
    Likes DaveT435 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Wow so much to learn and take in. I`ve never done a "Garry Dean" before. Usually I just rinse really well with my jet hose now and hand wash with the 2 buckets and dry with clean towels. Then I hand wax if I notice it`s not beading very well.

The goal of the cannon is to 1 save time and also money. Since 2 of 4 cars are always garaged they never get that bad and luckily I`m in So cal so I never get snow and almost no rain especially this time of year. I just use one of those dusters to get the dust off weekly and then off to the car wash every other week. I essentially want making a wash every other week at home, but use the cannon so I can skip the buckets even though I"ll still hand dry for now. I know I"ll have to bust out the buckets, but hopefully not that often. Since my cannon won`t arrive for a few weeks I`ll have to wait and see how bad the cleaning is and if I need to foam and bucket wash.

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post

You mea0tn "...I only WAX every..", right? That`s still awfully frequently; I`d be bummed if I had to LSP (LSP=Last Step Product..i.e., wax/sealant/etc.) that often. Not that it matters at all if you don`t mind! Some LSPs are lucky to last that long, doesn`t mean there`s anything wrong with `em. The Souveran I use on the Jag needs redone pretty much every wash
    Yeah I meant wax. The "chemical guy" at my local shop suggested I wax every 3-4 washes and strip with citrus every 10 wash and reapply a seal and then wax over. This is basically what I ask the car wash to do and it seems to work, but they use mcguires the last time they waxed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Older View Post
    I asked the service desk about that. They told me since Ryobi is a "house brand for them", just bring it back to them.
    That`s odd because when I called the online shop (they don`t sell them in my local store) they said after 90 days I deal with the manufacturer. I guess it`s different if you walk in a buy it??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    6 months? Wow your not giving me much credit. I was looking at the $250 Griots Orbital and was thinking hey If I had that I wouldn`t have to pay a guy to detail the 2 cars that really need it!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oneheadlite View Post
    Thanks for the heads up that it works with the BOSS Foam system. That`s the Pressure Washer I got after reading that thread as well.

Absolutely love having an electric washer after borrowing peoples gas ones that either never run right or have issues with the pump (even though they were owned by folks that tend to take care of their stuff). And it`s been plenty powerful for what I`m using it for. Even stripped DeckOver off of my deck with the turbo nozzle with ease, but didn`t hammer the wood below. Has also been a champ for degreasing belly pans, etc at work.

If saving time is the name of the game, I would take the approach of: Foam with the Surface wash, rinse, evaluate: Surface film left? Proceed to rinseless wash using the multi-media (*sigh* Garry Dean Wash Method) approach.
    Between the pressurized foam application and a pressure rinse, you`d figure the grit should be blasted off so you wouldn`t have to go to great lengths (rinse, re-foam, bucket wash) to still safely wash without worrying about wash-induced-marring.

I know waterless washing is perfectly safe, but having very little experience with it I like the peace of mind that comes with a rinseless.

If you still wanted to apply the Poly Gloss after, you could: Poly Gloss Foam, Rinse, Matador dry.
    So if the car didn`t get "really clean" after the rinse, foam and re-rinse your saying follow up with the Gary Dean instead of the 2 bucket? I think it the car was really dirty "my truck after a month of neglect" I wouldn`t trust that method of cleaning and would think only the 2 bucket would work. Is that not correct?

Post Thanks / Like

I`m actually a Master CBJ
    Howdie. While the machine doesn`t make the man, I went overboard this summer. Sold old things. Got new things. Kalamazoo , Summit Charcoal and a PK Grill 360 ! Heh, I think before September, I would have convined myself to get the Otto Griller

Post Thanks / Like

6 months? Wow your not giving me much credit. I was looking at the $250 Griots Orbital and was thinking hey If I had that I wouldn`t have to pay a guy to detail the 2 cars that really need it!!!
    Holding out 6 weeks was giving you a lot of credit. Looking like you`re not going to make it that long. Actually it is a great hobby. Many like myself find it very therapeutic.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow so much to learn and take in. I`ve never done a "Garry Dean" before. Usually I just rinse really well with my jet hose now and hand wash with the 2 buckets and dry with clean towels. Then I hand wax if I notice it`s not beading very well.

The goal of the cannon is to 1 save time and also money. Since 2 of 4 cars are always garaged they never get that bad and luckily I`m in So cal so I never get snow and almost no rain especially this time of year. I just use one of those dusters to get the dust off weekly and then off to the car wash every other week. I essentially want making a wash every other week at home, but use the cannon so I can skip the buckets even though I"ll still hand dry for now. I know I"ll have to bust out the buckets, but hopefully not that often. Since my cannon won`t arrive for a few weeks I`ll have to wait and see how bad the cleaning is and if I need to foam and bucket wash.

Yeah I meant wax. The "chemical guy" at my local shop suggested I wax every 3-4 washes and strip with citrus every 10 wash and reapply a seal and then wax over. This is basically what I ask the car wash to do and it seems to work, but they use mcguires the last time they waxed it.

That`s odd because when I called the online shop (they don`t sell them in my local store) they said after 90 days I deal with the manufacturer. I guess it`s different if you walk in a buy it??
    I’ve never dealt with the online store. Interesting.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information