Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Spending $200 a month at the car wash HELPPPP!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    .. Its Audi hard paint.. Will correct up nicely if it has not been messed with by drunk clowns and such...
    Dan F
    The leading surfaces might be so abraded that the best plan would be to get the bumpercover/etc. repainted.

Not sure of reliability of those Chinese machines.. Perhaps $60 isn`t a big hit to replace when needed?
    That`s how I view my AR.."disposable pressurewasher". Not that it died as quickly as I`d expected

Post Thanks / Like

Got Rid of my Overpriced Karcher PW and bought a Cheap Ryobi & Upgraded it... way better setup!!

There`s a thread in the Everything Else forum with the above title.

It`s the exact set-up I have and works great with the BOSS cannon and it`s related chemicals.

PS: It wouldn`t let me copy the address for some reason.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

LGHT --
    Have taken many jet black vehicles that were so scratched from years at the the carwash, etc., that they had turned a dark, flat, gray color, and paint corrected them back to brand new..
    Of course, this process took lots of hours, but because of the totally neglected condition, almost all the paint was still on there, so I had a little more cushion to work the defects out and give them back a brand new E63 AMG, for example...

""So what I need to tell her is it needs a detail first to get it from a paint job that looks like a 3-4 to a 8-9 and from then my new gear is designed to "maintain" that 8-9 looking paint job....."""

This would be the way to get the paint back to nearly perfect , or perfect depending on the condition, for sure.. If this is your goal, then yes..
    But with no experience, it will definitely be a long process, that can be most challenging...
    Dan F
    Well the Audi only has 55k miles and the paint isnn`t that bad. Seems like the previous owner garaged it, but it does have swirling. As for the Caddy my wife drives it`s always in our garage and it`s the blue one so it`s also isn`t horrible since the touchless car wash I use is better than the gas station ones, but it definitely needs some attention so I probably will get that detailed first. Now my truck is horrible!! I think I`m going to just give it my best effort on my own and live with it.

Post Thanks / Like

The less powerful ones just take longer.. Not sure of reliability of those Chinese machines.. Perhaps $60 isn`t a big hit to replace when needed?
    The funny part is you can get the same model with a 3 year warranty for $100, but it would take $50 to ship it back if it ever broke lol... If that Ryobi is too cheap what`s a good starting model? Or should I just get something made to last and expect to spend $200-$300 for it and never have to worry about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    LGHT- Ah, good buys for the $. I bet both are in much better shape than the `93 Audi I got from an family friend...same story as yours kinda, cosmetically trashed (saved from Cash For Clunkers, elderly woman`s winter car for use when in OH..think "cleared snow off with a metal shovel") but not even broken in mechanically. Once given the proper detail for their condition and planned use (don`t aim for perfection! Especially not when they`ll be used by a family), keeping them nice oughta be doable at a reasonable cost.
    Yeah I gave up on paying full price for cars 20 years ago. Since then I have probably bought and sold about 10 cars in 10 years. The main thing I focus on is low miles and no front end damage. Everything else is a quick and easy fix including paint especially if you have a good body shop you can call.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Older View Post
    Got Rid of my Overpriced Karcher PW and bought a Cheap Ryobi & Upgraded it... way better setup!!

There`s a thread in the Everything Else forum with the above title.

It`s the exact set-up I have and works great with the BOSS cannon and it`s related chemicals.

PS: It wouldn`t let me copy the address for some reason.
    Thanks for the link!!
    I found it and it looks like some great mods. The one I was looking at was a refurb so I`ll probably just get the new one with the new handle and gun and try and work with the existing hose.

Post Thanks / Like

Check the Griots Garage site for a pressure washer. I have heard they are offering a lifetime warranty with their pressure washer and that alone would make it worth buying. Electric pressure washers are going to die, it’s just a matter of when.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Check the Griots Garage site for a pressure washer. I have heard they are offering a lifetime warranty with their pressure washer and that alone would make it worth buying. Electric pressure washers are going to die, it’s just a matter of when.
    I`ve been looking and the problem with lifetime warranty is you pay to ship it back to them so if shipping is $50 it`s really not worth it to get back a refurb when you can buy a new one for $120 ya know.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve got a cheap ryobi, I think one level above the bottom model and it`s been kicking for two years and still going. It`s one of my favorite detailing tools and I use it every wash. Now you don`t need a pressure washer to do a fine job but it helps.

Do you have your wash method sorted out? That`s the most important thing IMO.
    Likes Stokdgs, Older liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

This is the one I have. Works like a champ. It has a 3-year warrantee. And if it pukes,I can just take it back to Home Depot in person.

I got it on sale for $89.00.

Model # RY141812G Internet #305219247

Ryobi
    1,800 psi 1.2 GPM Electric Pressure Washer
    4.5 out of 5
    (179) Write a Review
    Questions & Answers (26)
    Includes 3 quick-connect nozzles (15°, soap and turbo)
    1 Qt. On-Board Detergent Tank for Easy Soap Application
    Performance Tested and Rated in Accordance with PWMA Standards
    $129.00 /each
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

For your situation (looking for something quick and easy) you sound like a perfect candidate for waterless washes. Especially if you get a proper detail with a good coating (or sealant) a WW takes very little time to complete (so long as the car isn`t totally filthy). In fact, you could get a good product like WG Uber or Mckees N-914 and a bunch of good MF towels and then you could do a WW or RW as the situation calls for.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Older View Post
    This is the one I have. Works like a champ. It has a 3-year warrantee. And if it pukes,I can just take it back to Home Depot in person.

I got it on sale for $89.00.

Model # RY141812G Internet #305219247
    Ryobi
    1,800 psi 1.
    The one I was looking at was $119 and had 1,600 PSI. For $10 I may just get the 1800 psi unit. As far as the warranty you only get a 90 day return and anything after that is through the manufacture where you MUST ship back your unit to them directly. That`s why it`s not worth it because shipping costs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DetailZeus View Post
    Not sure what you mean when you say "method"... I did pickup the griots foaming system kit that comes with the cannon.... I plan on using that with the pressure washer for quick washes before the cars get filthy and if they are really dirty I`ll rinse, wash, rinse then apply more foam and use the mit to scrub before a final rinse. I hope that will work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DetailZeus View Post
    Aha, somebody has been paying attention

Quote Originally Posted by LGHT
    Not sure what you mean when you say "method"...
    He means "can you wash without marring the paint?" Polishing should be a *VERY* infrequent occurrence. IF somebody needs to keep polishing out marring every year then 1) they`re gonna run out of clear (or patience) soon, and 2) something`s radically wrong and oughta be sorted out before any polishing is prioritized.

Pardon me for being, uhm...nastily and brutally frank, but whenever somebody uses the expression "scrub" in relation to a carwash, I think "uh-oh...". IME the surface of (the hardest) autopaint is about as delicate as the surface of your eyeball.
    Likes DetailZeus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    He means "can you wash without marring the paint?" Polishing should be a *VERY* infrequent occurrence. IF somebody needs to keep polishing out marring every year then 1) they`re gonna run out of clear (or patience) soon, and 2) something`s radically wrong and oughta be sorted out before any polishing is prioritized.
    Still don`t follow I thought the foam cannon was supposed to cut back on the amount of times you touch / scratch the paint? I also don`t get what you mean when you say "polish"? Are you referring to waxing / sealing? I put on a sealer about 6 months ago and I only wash every 2-3 washes and the water still beads great.

Post Thanks / Like

Polishing is usually done by a machine to remove paint defects, then a wax/sealant/coating can be applied to protect the paint.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information