Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Noob from upstate NY.....Greetings!

Greetings from rural upstate NY! I’m a complete noob in this arena and I’m looking forward to learning about detailing.
    I’m not sure if these questions belong in this section. If not please point me in the right direction…..
    We have 2 Toyota Tacomas, both Pyrite Mica (a very interesting color as it seems to take on the hue of the surrounding environment). I want to keep these trucks looking their best but they are used and not just mall cruisers. Hauling hay, dump runs, towing kayaks and transporting gear are just a few of their chores.
    I have an unusual problem (not for this area) with our water supply. It has an extremely high mineral content AND has natural gas in it. So much so that I could ignite the water faucet if I wanted to. Obviously, it’s not potable and we get our drinking water from a local farm.
    Because of the water issue I’ve been going to a not so local DIY car wash as it’s a better option but it only does a fair job. Can I wash them at home as long as I dry them immediately without consequence?
    Once this issue is resolved, my goal is to protect the paint and keep it looking it’s best without making it a huge production. I realize that you get what you sow and I’m ok with that. I’m not looking for show quality.
    As for any post washing treatment, I’m open to all suggestions. I do have a HF DA/polisher (modified) and have used it on another vehicle with very good results, but I’m hesitant to use it on the Tacomas. I’d rather learn to care for them by hand and then learn how to properly use the DA. I thought that this would be the best and safest approach.
    Any thoughts and advice will be greatly appreciated…..
    As far as pets go, 13 cats, 2 dogs (Lab & Great Dane), 2 rabbits, 3 goats and 1 goose. Too many names to list………

All Good Medicine,
    Crow
    Likes Stokdgs, rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Noob from upstate NY.....Greetings!

Where in Upstate? Im near Rochester and would offer to help if you are close
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome! Born and raised in Syracuse area.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome, Crow Horse,
    Hope you enjoy your time here..
    We are a friendly bunch, and hopefully there may be a few good men living close by..

I am sorry there is natural gas in your water - is this because they are fracking up there ?
    I have seen programs from years back where fracking caused creeks to have so much natural gas in them that you could light them with a lighter.. How terrible..

You mentioned a "modified Harbor Freight D/A - what is the modification/s ?
    The best modification to any D/A would be to install a 5" Backing Plate, so it will rotate easier, and of course then purchase 5.5" pads for this..
    Every machine needs pad rotation to correct the paint the most efficiently..
    That`s why I only use Rotary Power.. But that`s just me.. Well, and maybe a couple other guys on here...
    We are all happy to help you acquire good techniques for using that machine..
    There are many products available that can take care of your Detailing needs, at this Autopia store or others around you..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the offer but I`m about 3 hours southeast of Rochester.......

The natural gas isn`t a result of fracking in our case. It just makes things a little more inconvenient.

I did install a 5" backing pad and if memory serves me correctly, I reoriented the motor so the switch was in a better position. Pretty easy mod. I need to educate myself on the available products that will suit my needs. I guess the biggest problem is that at this juncture, I`m not sure what my needs are other than to create a really great/deep gloss and protect the paint from the ravages of winter...
    All Good Medicine,
    Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow.....

Likes Mary B liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmmm, that would be quite a trip even for a weekend. The offer is on the table either way. Ive got good water and a pretty nice garage for working. Plenty of light and outlets for multiple polishers!!!

If your water is real bad then maybe head to a self serve car wash and power wash it off real well, bring it home and use 2-3 gallons of distilled water (about .99 each) in a bucket with some rinseless wash. Thatll get you clean and you can start the polishing and protection
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    Likes Stokdgs, Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome, I grew up in Cortland. Moved the the Durham area of North Carolina almost 24 years ago.

Will be back up in Cortland at the end of the month.

Post Thanks / Like

If your water is real bad then maybe head to a self serve car wash and power wash it off real well, bring it home and use 2-3 gallons of distilled water (about .99 each) in a bucket with some rinseless wash. Thatll get you clean and you can start the polishing and protection

Awesome info! I think that will be my starting point. The rinseless car wash is intriguing. I did try a waterless car wash on my Jeep (it was a good test vehicle - paint is pretty much roached so I couldn`t do any damage). I was pretty surprised by the results but still wary.

This is part of my problem being a noob in this arena. There are so many products for a specific function that it`s difficult to sort through them all and find the one that`s best suited for my needs. This can get expensive over time. Any recommendations for a rinseless car wash product?

I have a metric boatload of inexpensive microfiber towels (80/20) that I`ve amassed through the years. Would these be ok to use with the rinseless car wash?

Regarding the HF DA... I believe I did swap the cord out for a longer one. I`ll have to dig it out to verify...
    All Good Medicine,
    Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow.....

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome! I don’t see a big problem with using hard water to wash your trucks as long as you dry them immediately. I realize you are new and coating a vehicle probably scares you a little, don’t let it. Try the McKees Paint Coating. It’s very user friendly and will make drying your truck much easier. Also don’t worry about using the HF buffer on your paint, it is not powerful enough to do any damage to your paint. Watch a lot of videos, use the search feature on this forum, and by all means ask plenty of questions. We are here to help!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome my friend. I was born and raised in Geneva. Up until a couple years ago I also owned some hunting land near Dundee. That is in the center of the beautiful Finger Lakes and Wine Country region. I have some family and friends still in Rochester and go there a couple times a year. Beautiful area but a detailer`s nightmare thanks to the brutal winters. I retired to Texas so you have my condolences!! With your water the waterless wash suggestion above may be the best way to go. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

As far as which RW product to use and too many choices just pick one of the products sold here, there isnt really a major difference between them. Buy a small bottle of a concentrate and use it up, THEN buy a different one if you wish after. I fell into the 7 of each type product when I started and have narrowed the majority of my things to Meguiars Detailer line. As for RW I personally like the Ultima. BF, Pinnacle, and all the others will be just fine. GOOD LUCK!!!
    Don

1989 Formula 350

Post Thanks / Like

Blackfire RW old label is $5 a pop on the sister site Outlet Store right now.

Post Thanks / Like

"Kahee"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the heads up!!! I just ordered 4 bottles. For that price I`m gonna love it....
    All Good Medicine,
    Crow

Post Thanks / Like

Born and raised in the Syracuse area also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information