Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New RAM Owner

Post Thanks / Like

New RAM Owner

G`Day guys,

I just purchased my first ever brand new vehicle.
    It`s a 2018 Night Edition RAM 1500 Quad cab 4x4 in Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat Exterior Paint.
    Interior is leather.
    I want to make sure I am caring for this vehicle internally and externally with the very best products and the very best methods.

I joined with the purpose of creating a thread that basically asks these questions....• What are the best products and methods for maintaining the brand new paint on the vehicle? and
    • What are the best products and methods for keeping the interior looking awesome and protected?
    I have already purchased Weather Tech sun shades for all 6 windows in the vehicle and Weather Tech front and rear rubber floor mats.

Any tips and tricks you all have would be most appreciated.
    If there are threads that would cover these questions, please direct me to them so I don`t create a duplicate thread.

Thanks all!New RAM Owner-img_2059.jpegNew RAM Owner-img_1476.jpegNew RAM Owner-img_7476.jpegNew RAM Owner-img_7384.jpeg
    SaveSave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New RAM Owner-img_2059.jpeg   New RAM Owner-img_1476.jpeg   New RAM Owner-img_7476.jpeg   New RAM Owner-img_7384.jpeg  
    Likes SWETM, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New RAM Owner

Congratulations, it`s looking tough! Personally, I would have tinted the windows except for the front if possible. Black is lovely but can be a bit of a chore. You have to ask yourself how much time do you want to invest to keep it looking like that. I owned a black car for 11 years, and my biggest tip for you is this. If you don`t have the time to do it right, don`t touch the paint until you do.

- In the meantime start reading threads on the 2 bucket method and how to avoid introducing swirl marks when washing and drying (though no matter what you do, you will, but not as bad as going to a car wash once).
    - Get a coat of sealant on it, like FK1000p, and read up on how to apply FK1000p before you do.
    - Eventually, you will need to polish out the swirls, maybe every 2-3 years (cause they will happen).
    Likes SpaceCam liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome! Congrats to an awesome looking truck!

It`s so many different best products out there. So it`s about finding the best products for your needs. A couple of questions that can lead to find out what suits you and the products you will then chose to go with.

When it comes to lsp what are you after the most. The longevity or the looks or the mix of those? Easy application and prep for the lsp or are you prepared to do a thorough decon and polishing? And what kind of experience do you have with lsp? It`s for you to decide about the different base lsp which is wax, sealants or ceramic coatings. I recommend you to look at different threads in the show and shine part of the forum. And one brand I really like the looks of and the ease of use and a good longevity is Polish Angel different offerings. Member 512Detail has some awesome results with PA and black cars that is stunning. Then you have the member budgetplan that has done some exstensive testing with ceramic coatings. To the leather I would look at gyeon leather shield that looks like a great product to new cars. Some things from me and go in threads and ask what you are wondering about. It`s a great forum with many helpfull people.

What do you have for polisher and eqiupment to maintain your car with?

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats! Nice truck!

This will help. Lots of good information if you`re just starting out.

Link to Detailing Site Removed

KISS fan?? Me Too!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jester! Yes! Window tinting is next on my list! It will look awesome once I do that!
    Thanks for the other tips I will definitely look into those.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply SWETM. So I am brand new to any kind of "advanced" care detailing. I really have no experience with LSP`s (I actually just had to Google what it was! lol) but I would be looking for a good mix of longevity and looks.I don`t mind putting the elbow grease in to getting the truck to remain looking stunning but I want to make sure the products and techniques I use are not going to damage the finish or be counterproductive to what I am trying to achieve.
    Honestly as far as your question about wax, sealants and ceramic coatings, I am ignorant. I don`t know enough about them and their pros and cons to be able to say one way or the other which one I would like to use. If there is a thread that offers a comparison between these LSP`s I`d love to read it. In the meantime I will definitely check out the Show and Shine forum - thanks for that tip.

When you refer to "polisher and equipment to maintain the vehicle with" are you referring to like an electric buffer or are you referring to product and cloths.
    I do have an electric buffer I bought from Harbor Freight with some cheap sponge type pads. I have never used either to be honest for fear of tearing up the finish.
    Any advice here, even to the extend of if and how often electric polishers should be used would be appreciated.
    Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dschribs View Post
    Congrats! Nice truck!

This will help. Lots of good information if you`re just starting out.

Link to Detailing Site Removed

KISS fan?? Me Too!!
    Hahaha, yeah, the KISS plate went on before my actual license plate! Thanks for the link!

Post Thanks / Like

If you don`t want to make the initial monetary (and time) investment in a polisher, numerous pads, various grades of polish, clay etc etc.... Just make sure you use proper washing techniques. (See the link I sent)

Then regularly use a good glaze such as this: https://www.autopia-carcare.com/blac...l#.Wpbxv4PwYnQ

Followed by a user friendly paint sealant such as this: https://www.autopia-carcare.com/menz...l#.Wpbx6IPwYnQ

The glaze will hide/mask any swirls in the paint and the sealant will protect it from acid rain, bird bombs, environmental fall out, UV Rays etc etc.

Might be the way to go if you don`t have any detailing experience and you own a brand new black truck.

You could always have a professional detailer give it a one step polishing every few years (or even every year).

Proper washing techniques will go along way in making your vehicle look way better than most - especially on black.
    Likes SpaceCam, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Check out the videos that griots has on you tube. Weather or not you use the products they are simple and very informative. Congratulations on the new truck!
    Likes SpaceCam, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the new truck and welcome to Autopia! I traded in my 2014 Ram 1500 Express for a 2017 Limited last summer and couldn`t be happier. I love the looks of your truck better but love all the bells and whistles of the Limited.

Likes Stokdgs, SpaceCam, dschribs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Damn, that`s a sweet RAM!!!
    Likes RaskyR1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the new Ram. I just traded in my 2006 and upgraded to a 2013 Big Horn. I just added the tonneau cover, Magnaflow muffler, and am having a lift kit installed on Monday.

Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing
    Likes Tc99m, SpaceCam, RaskyR1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Niiiice clean looking RAM!Make sure you post, post-lift pics!

Post Thanks / Like

I`m not so experienced either and it`s about a year ago I went back to maintain cars. The harbor freight polisher is it a dual action polisher or a rotary polisher? Look at what the part number is if you are uncertain what it is.

The thing with getting the most out of your lsp is to do a thorough prep cleaning. And then since it`s a new truck a finishing polish to get that last bit of the deep gloss to your paint. One combo for a decent longevity and great gloss that I seen popping up and seems easy to use are Gyeon Primer Polish as finishing polish and primer to then apply Gyeon CanCoat as lsp. There is some great write ups on starting to machine polish. Mike Phillips on Autogeek does alot of write ups on this and videos also. I did testing on a scrap yard panel first and you can test on another car also to get familier with the polisher and products. Then something that is very usefull is a swirl finding light and some good work lighting. To inspect the car first and then when doing test spots to see what pads and polish to use. Masking painters tape saves you to get a hassle to clean trim and rubber after you have polished. Mask as much as you can before polishing. Depending on the finishing polish you are going to use and the lsp a prep cleaning product like Gyeon Prep is a good thing to use. If useing the combo gyeon primer and CanCoat if doing a certain way you don`t need the prep product as the primer does it for you.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

beautiful truck
    the windows look good imo
    factory glass tint now a days is pretty nice
    make sure you do it legally

the less you touch the paint the better, especially black
    I would have a pro coat it
    then you need to learn proper wash/dry techniques
    and apply a coating `refresher` every few months

enjoy!!!