Post Thanks / Like

Cool Another Cheesehead

Jaydawg checking in from the Frozen Tundra of Wes caansin LOL!

Hey All!

I never sign up on forums but daaaang, chu guys know a lot!!! In short about a year ago I walked away from my job and took about a year off to decide what to with my next career. My strong interest in A.D stems from a car that I`ve been smitten with since its debut in `03; the infinity G-35. Last summer I sold it after 4 years of garage duty with the exception of the occasional weekend drive. It was 04` Coupe with 6mt (rare 6-speed) with power to spare!! If I had a pole barn or an extra garage I probably would have kept it, hard time not balling when she rolled out for the last time... got bit by the detailing bug when I owned her and really enjoyed getting my hands on a beauty like that! I must of treated her well as I asked for the same price as I paid 4 years previous and I held firm with the first guy to look at it and BAM!!!! I got it. Big lesson for a dummy like me: get - and keep a sweet makeup job on your ride = mo money in yo pocket! But I really do enjoy it AND, if one is to aspire to be "the best" at their job or any endeavor in life than he needs to become fluent or emerssed in it. I`ve read on forums where A.D is referred to as an art.... Damn straight.. if one wants to take it to that level. Check the Brit out on YTube who charges $15,000 to do an auto, ask him if he views it as an Art��. Brings me around to a couple of questions concerning startup costs... do I go nuts and buy all or most of the tools or start small and get by until I have to invest more in extras? Also, this needs to be waterless as one thing I am not buying immediately is a van. Why?? Because in that stall sits the new ride - 2013 G37x Sport package!!! Thanks for your time and really look forward to some good dialogue in the near future!

jaydawg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Another Cheesehead

Welcome fellow Wisconsinite. Where might your stomping grounds be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Near Madison and you?

Post Thanks / Like

Watertucky, I mean Watertown

Post Thanks / Like

Yellow, from warm Minnesowta.

Post Thanks / Like

Darn near neighbors! Do you run a mobile or brick and mortar?

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from across the river! Just an enthusiast from MN here.

Great bunch of folks on on this site- lots of knowledge to learn from.

Tiny suggestion- Try hitting the enter key between your thoughts- helps break up a huge paragraph and makes it a bit easier to follow. You might also start a new thread for your beginning a business questions if they get missed in an intro post.

Hopefully I`m not coming off too harsh! Looking forward to your posts and seeing pics of your work!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome fellow Wisconsinite:
    From my location info you can see I am in Green Bay, WI (hence GB Detailer, and not meaning Great Britain). I LIVE in the shadows of Lambeau Field and, yes, we park cars in our driveway and on the lawn. SO, if you need a parking spot for a Packer home game, PM me for directions.
    I (immensely) dislike/cannot stand the "cheesehead" moniker. I will not identify with or to it. But I do LOVE cheese.
    Please let us know more about your vehicle detailing experiences. This is a very good forum for obsessive-compulsive detailers (OCDs), both professional and hobbyists alike. The information presented and shared within this forum by respected members gained from hand-on experience and trial-and-error is invaluable. It will greatly enhance your vehicle detailing. And do not be afraid to ask questions or pose your detailing problems you encounter. Yes, sometimes they seem trivial or elementary, but we try to keep that in context for newbies. We all can learn from it.

If you are going to do detailing as a LEGIT business you will need to do five things for sure:
    1) register your business as legal entity with the government (IE , apply as an LLC or company or enterprise)
    2) file with the IRS with quarterly earnings to pay your income taxes (include BOTH halves of Social Security)
    3) get business insurance
    4) register a domain name if you plan to have a website OR at least make up a business card with your business information on it (IE email address, location address, and phone number, along with business work days and hours.)
    5) check with local government for ordinances/laws IF you can operate a business from your residence if that is where you plan to do your work out of. (Many do not)
    Too many well-meaning detailing start-ups are "fly by night" or "garage businesses" or "under-the-table-cash-only". This a real problem for the general public who use those services and it gives truely professional detailing and LEGIT detailers a bad name. It`s one thing to detail on the side for friends and family; it`s another to detail as a business and your livelihood.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaydawg4 View Post
    Darn near neighbors! Do you run a mobile or brick and mortar?
    Mostly brick and mortar when I`m not working my full time job. If you have any questions or want to sample different products or equipment let me know

Post Thanks / Like

hi
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome and I too live close to Madison. I just do family stuff but have done seven so far this year and have two more to do. All are correction and coatings. If you want to try some polishers and products just let me know.

Here is what I am currently working on that I just finished a 2-step correction on and hope to coat tomorrow and polish and coat the glass today along with the interior.

Keep the Blues Alive! BadgerRivFan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from another fellow "cheesehead." I`m actually fine with the cheesehead moniker... as I consider it a term of endearment Another Cheesehead.

Much better than the "FIB" acronym... Lol Another Cheesehead.
    Al S.

​"Blues done made me wild... got deep down in my soul"
    - Buddy Guy
    Likes ShakingHorizons liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe us Wisconsinites could do a get together so we could share each other`s experience and try different equipment and products

Likes ShakingHorizons liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Civicclutch View Post
    Maybe us Wisconsinites could do a get together so we could share each other`s experience and try different equipment and products

Plan it for October 15th and I will be there! I fly in to Milwaukee on the 13th, staying near Madison (Columbus), and fly back out of Milwaukee on the 16th.
    Reflective Impressions
    www.instagram.com/reflectiveimpressions
    Authorized Feynlab Installer

Post Thanks / Like

Another Cheesehead

Quote Originally Posted by ShakingHorizons View Post
    Plan it for October 15th and I will be there! I fly in to Milwaukee on the 13th, staying near Madison (Columbus), and fly back out of Milwaukee on the 16th.
    Might be able to do that say like in the afternoon or so. And Columbus ain`t to far either

Thread Information