Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hello ya bunch of wackos

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    Hrumph
    Hello ya bunch of wackos-img_1253.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hello ya bunch of wackos-img_1253.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Authentic frontier jibberish.........
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes Boden liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Boden, looks like you will fit in here just fine! Lol

Post Thanks / Like

Boden- Thanks for the good responses to my earlier post.

Yeah, that whole Layering thing *can* be a hornet`s nest! Some people sure get, uhm....invested....in their opinions.

FWIW, I almost *always* just use clay to remove tar/etc, and if I use the right clay (Sonus SFX) and the right techniques (very VERY gentle/careful..stroke-by-stroke, inch-by-inch, kneading constantly) I don`t have to reLSP. I can`t remember the last time I used a solvent to clean off tar, must`ve been back in the 1990s or something. But yeah, that does trash the clay pretty fast.

Bugs/etc. come off easily enough with a little 1Z Anti-Insekt presoak, and as long as I don`t let it dwell too long that won`t mess with my LSP either.

I generally don`t bother cleaing off bird-bombs as they don`t etch through my LSPs.

We might just be dealing with completely different situations, especially as I`m only doing my own vehicles. And as you can tell, I work kinda hard at *not* having to reLSP. Just doing a quick maintenance wash ("quick" for me is at least 5 hours of hard work) is enough, don`t want to do *anything* more if I can help it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    .. quick maintenance wash ("quick" for me is at least 5 hours of hard work)

Post Thanks / Like

Boden- Thanks for the good responses to my earlier post.

Yeah, that whole Layering thing *can* be a hornet`s nest! Some people sure get, uhm....invested....in their opinions.

FWIW, I almost *always* just use clay to remove tar/etc, and if I use the right clay (Sonus SFX) and the right techniques (very VERY gentle/careful..stroke-by-stroke, inch-by-inch, kneading constantly) I don`t have to reLSP. I can`t remember the last time I used a solvent to clean off tar, must`ve been back in the 1990s or something. But yeah, that does trash the clay pretty fast.

Bugs/etc. come off easily enough with a little 1Z Anti-Insekt presoak, and as long as I don`t let it dwell too long that won`t mess with my LSP either.

I generally don`t bother cleaing off bird-bombs as they don`t etch through my LSPs.

We might just be dealing with completely different situations, especially as I`m only doing my own vehicles. And as you can tell, I work kinda hard at *not* having to reLSP. Just doing a quick maintenance wash ("quick" for me is at least 5 hours of hard work) is enough, don`t want to do *anything* more if I can help it.
    5 hours... Dang...

The sight of my work truck might kill you (98 Passport).

With the Opti-seal and OCW being so easy to reapply I`m not concerned about wiping a bit off.

If I may ask, what LSP are you using?

Post Thanks / Like

You guys who think 5 hours is long....heh heh, I can`t help but wonder how anybody can do what I do in less time.

JustJesus- Well, I seem to recall that at one time you weren`t spending much time on stuff like the springs on the backside of wiper arms All such stuff takes a few moments and those moments add up (e.g., how many surfaces ya think there are on an A8`s trunk hinges? How many individual slots in the grilles? And then there`s undercarriage....). A whole lotta vehicles would probably be easier, and thus much quicker, to do than mine.

Boden- Well, none of my vehicles are what I`d consider a "work truck" so it might just be apples/oranges and IMO some vehicles are simply appliances. Heh heh, this has me thinking how some guys here are all Autopian about their lawn/etc. equipment whereas I simply couldn`t care less and wouldn`t wax such stuff for anything.

Current Fave LSP: Most of our vehicles are now wearing FK1000P, and sooner or later I`ll put it on most of the others...maybe *all* of `em, even the Jag. Durable and very protective, simply kills every other LSP I`ve ever used and does so without needing very many layers/applications.

Post Thanks / Like

You guys who think 5 hours is long....heh heh, I can`t help but wonder how anybody can do what I do in less time.

JustJesus- Well, I seem to recall that at one time you weren`t spending much time on stuff like the springs on the backside of wiper arms All such stuff takes a few moments and those moments add up (e.g., how many surfaces ya think there are on an A8`s trunk hinges? How many individual slots in the grilles? And then there`s undercarriage....). A whole lotta vehicles would probably be easier, and thus much quicker, to do than mine.

Boden- Well, none of my vehicles are what I`d consider a "work truck" so it might just be apples/oranges and IMO some vehicles are simply appliances. Heh heh, this has me thinking how some guys here are all Autopian about their lawn/etc. equipment whereas I simply couldn`t care less and wouldn`t wax such stuff for anything.

Current Fave LSP: Most of our vehicles are now wearing FK1000P, and sooner or later I`ll put it on most of the others...maybe *all* of `em, even the Jag. Durable and very protective, simply kills every other LSP I`ve ever used and does so without needing very many layers/applications.
    I wasn`t surprised by the 5 hr thing. Makes sense to me. Heck, I`ve spent hundreds of hours restoring a old motorcycle which is mostly taking them apart, cleaning the bits and reassembling.

Thinking about it, I flew out and detailed my dads A7 for his birthday last fall and took ~14hrs. He`s getting a little to old to do it himself

I`ll have to give the FK1000p a go. Actually, y`all have inspired me to tidy up the old truck. I`m gonna need a lot of clay

Post Thanks / Like

Boden- Good on you for taking on your Dad`s A7.

Regarding the truck, actually I *really* like such details. No question of getting it Perfect, just making a well-used tool more pleasant to keep on using...sorta like the old motorcycles or cleaning a well-worn tool after you`ve used it. Even if the cosmetics don`t matter to you, most stuff that ya rely on is better when it`s clean, especially something like a vehicle where leaks/visible wear/etc. can be important to spot early. Like.... a filthy undercarriage/engine compartment can hide a lot of nasty surprised that`re about to change your life. And Service Techs have a different attitude towards vehicles that scream "the owner knows every inch of this thing!"

Rather than knocking yourself out with a lot of claying, you could use the Prep Towels that some here like (IF you`re planning to do a lot of correction anyhow) or do the chemical decontamination that I prefer. I`ve used both ValuGard`s ABC and the considerably more potent/less idiot-proof stuff from FinishKare, and nowadays there are others on the market too.

Post Thanks / Like

Boden- Good on you for taking on your Dad`s A7.

Regarding the truck, actually I *really* like such details. No question of getting it Perfect, just making a well-used tool more pleasant to keep on using...sorta like the old motorcycles or cleaning a well-worn tool after you`ve used it. Even if the cosmetics don`t matter to you, most stuff that ya rely on is better when it`s clean, especially something like a vehicle where leaks/visible wear/etc. can be important to spot early. Like.... a filthy undercarriage/engine compartment can hide a lot of nasty surprised that`re about to change your life. And Service Techs have a different attitude towards vehicles that scream "the owner knows every inch of this thing!"

Rather than knocking yourself out with a lot of claying, you could use the Prep Towels that some here like (IF you`re planning to do a lot of correction anyhow) or do the chemical decontamination that I prefer. I`ve used both ValuGard`s ABC and the considerably more potent/less idiot-proof stuff from FinishKare, and nowadays there are others on the market too.
    Oh, I`ve got a plan for the truck. Bit of a comic "redneck detail video review" using plumbers putty "clay", bottom of a mouse pad "clay", bit of fun with a belt sander and few other bad ideas I`ve seen floating around the web. I`m going to have some fun. (Don`t worry I`ll use stunt paint)

Post Thanks / Like

Heh heh heh...sounds like you and I, uhm....have the two opposite ends of a few spectrums covered

Post Thanks / Like

On my own daily driver, i still don`t But yeah, I do more steps these days when I`m giving a car a [more] proper wash.

My wife`s, her`s gets treated better. I spent 5 hours just doing her interior. Tried to touch, clean, protect every surface on that thing. I did forget the headliner, though.

Post Thanks / Like

First off, Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Boden View Post
    ...Heck, I`ve spent hundreds of hours restoring a old motorcycle which is mostly taking them apart, cleaning the bits and reassembling.
    Sorry to thread jack, but did someone say `old motorcycles`?

I have a client with several `special` bikes including the one below - a new old-stock 1956 MV Agusta racing bike. We started prepping them for eventual sale at auction, and he is letting me document and assist with the task.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mc2hill View Post
    First off, Welcome!

Sorry to thread jack, but did someone say `old motorcycles`?

I have a client with several `special` bikes including the one below - a new old-stock 1956 MV Agusta racing bike. We started prepping them for eventual sale at auction, and he is letting me document and assist with the task.

If you get to ride that one be careful, that front end is squirrelly in corners. Good on cobble roads at low speed though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boden View Post
    If you get to ride that one be careful, that front end is squirrelly in corners. Good on cobble roads at low speed though.
    Ride it, I haven`t even straddled it! Those are the original tires, so nothing more than pushing it around for detailing and pictures. The front tire has a break in the sidewall on the other side, but we can hide it OK for pictures. He lets the air out of them once it is put away for a few days.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information