Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hello ya bunch of wackos

Quote Originally Posted by Boden View Post

One thing I`ve noticed is the steps for correction on new cars (<20 yr/old). Most around here seem to start with a corse compound and go to lighter cutting compounds as opposed to the technique I was thought. We started with a light cut (polish) first then spot corrected any deeper scratches by working progressively coarser compounds then worked our way back up to a finish polish.

I do like clay. Much faster than using a scraping card to clean nibs (contamination) and overspray.
    First off, welcome to the forum we hope you enjoy your stay.

There is much to be said about not killing a mosquito with a cannon. That said, don`t sell this crowd short. I don`t believe that the majority of the crew you see posting regularly on this forum, simply jump to the most aggressive product available and work their way to a finishing product. That subject is covered time and again and I believe many of posters here get it. They understand that you need only so much cut/polish to properly correct the finish. There is of course a point of diminishing returns (pun intended). Meaning, they understand you don`t start with a pure polish to remove scratches that you can feel with your fingernail.

I think you`ll find that the regular posters understand the concept mentioned previously in spades and often they just happen to have "practiced" working their craft to have a point of reference on where to begin. Simply said, they have a good idea of where to start and which product to use. When they don`t they they follow the practice you have outlined. I don`t see members here grabbing 3M Super Duty Compound and a rotary to clean the original paint on a 50 year old Camaro. Many of the Detailers on this forum utilize Paint Thickness Guages and have a very good idea of what they have to work with and where to start.

We have enthusiasts, aficianados and detailing pros on this site. This vast combination of detailers can`t simply be lumped into a single group labeled, most. Almost every member of which I`m aware, with the exception of one, are here to improve their skill set. Ron already knows everything.

Once again, welcome to the forum we look forward to your input.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Yea, We are all addicted to shiny.

Hello ya bunch of wackos-0513171416-00.jpg

Welcome to the forum.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org
    Likes dpk20x, Boden liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    Almost every member of which I`m aware, with the exception of one, are here to improve their skill set.
    Was curious to see where this was going...

Ron already knows everything.
    Well played.
    Likes GearHead_1, Boden liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    First off, welcome to the forum we hope you enjoy your stay.

There is much to be said about not killing a mosquito with a cannon. That said, don`t sell this crowd short. I don`t believe that the majority of the crew you see posting regularly on this forum, simply jump to the most aggressive product available and work their way to a finishing product. That subject is covered time and again and I believe many of posters here get it. They understand that you need only so much cut/polish to properly correct the finish. There is of course a point of diminishing returns (pun intended). Meaning, they understand you don`t start with a pure polish to remove scratches that you can feel with your fingernail.

I think you`ll find that the regular posters understand the concept mentioned previously in spades and often they just happen to have "practiced" working their craft to have a point of reference on where to begin. Simply said, they have a good idea of where to start and which product to use. When they don`t they they follow the practice you have outlined. I don`t see members here grabbing 3M Super Duty Compound and a rotary to clean the original paint on a 50 year old Camaro. Many of the Detailers on this forum utilize Paint Thickness Guages and have a very good idea of what they have to work with and where to start.

We have enthusiasts, aficianados and detailing pros on this site. This vast combination of detailers can`t simply be lumped into a single group labeled, most. Almost every member of which I`m aware, with the exception of one, are here to improve their skill set. Ron already knows everything.

Once again, welcome to the forum we look forward to your input.
    Well said. I did generalize for the sake of brevity. My bad

Post Thanks / Like

welcome Boden
    Likes Boden liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t use credit or loans of any kind....
    Good on you for that!

Though it`s getting hard to do certain things without a cc these days (let alone without causing a lot of scrutiny...try pulling out $XXXXX in cash and see who takes notice).

Post Thanks / Like

I`ll need to find ...[a LSP] that people think can be layered first...
    There are a lot of them that layer for most people. Technique/etc. undoubtedly factors in, but the Conventional Wisdom that you generally cannot layer products due to the "like removes like"/solvent action/etc. is simply NOT TRUE in my experience. Your experience may differ..

Eh, easy enough to test *for yourself* so everybody who really cares oughta know whether or not it works *for them* with the products *they use*. If others have differing experiences the, well...OK, they`re not you
    Rinseless? Oh yeah the wipe on wipe off technique. I won`t be doing that.
    Speaking of those differing experiences....ah yes, the topic of Rinseless Washes....

Some Rinseless techniques are *MUCH* more involved than that (see Garry Dean Wash Method) but still don`t work for me *by themselves*.

50% DI water 40% alcohol 10% propylene glycol will break down almost anything that might get on a car.
    Might also break down stuff you *want* on the car Sure don`t want to redo all the seals/etc. every time, even if it doesn`t mess with the wax.

What *does* that mix do to the LSPs you use? Does the vehicle look pristine after every wash without needing to rewax/etc. on a regular basis?

Does it encapsulate the dirt very effectively? How`s the lubricity with that much alcohol in it? What`s the, uhm...surfactant component...in that?

Maybe I`m just knee-jerking about it, but compared to a carefully determined choice of shampoo (or in my case, a mix of more than one) it just sounds....funny...to me.

Eh, I *am* talking Maintenance Wash here...for a Decontamination, that`d be different (I use ValuGard`s ABC or, rarely, the FinishKare version).
    The ONR will be spritzed on as a rinse aid.
    You mean "...as a DRYING aid", right?

..I learned long ago never to let a shop lacky near new paint.
    Same here (noting that I was a Shop Lacky myself, in both a dealership`s bodyshop and New Car Prep dept., way back in the `70s), though I *have* known dealership prep guys who were good enough that I let them do our vehicles. Regulars here have heard that before otherwise it`d be the sort of "!NO WAY! Not you..." thing that could crash the internet

Post Thanks / Like

Hrumph
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    Hrumph
    Eh, too subtle for me again, Ron....need context to interpret.

Post Thanks / Like

look up
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Eh, I concede...just not getting it this time

Post Thanks / Like

look at gearheads post

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, OK...thanks for being explicit. Sheesh, felt like you were communicating with a, uhm...slow child...there, huh?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    Hrumph
    https://youtu.be/bsIwF1lFVdc
    Likes Ronkh, Boden liked this post
    Thanks Ronkh thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Dannit man that`s a lotta topics... *Deep breath* okay then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    There are a lot of them that layer for most people. Technique/etc. undoubtedly factors in, but the Conventional Wisdom that you generally cannot layer products due to the "like removes like"/solvent action/etc. is simply NOT TRUE in my experience. Your experience may differ..

Eh, easy enough to test *for yourself* so everybody who really cares oughta know whether or not it works *for them* with the products *they use*. If others have differing experiences the, well...OK, they`re not you
    I think I`ll leave this hornets nest un-wacked.

Speaking of those differing experiences....ah yes, the topic of Rinseless Washes....

Some Rinseless techniques are *MUCH* more involved than that (see Garry Dean Wash Method) but still don`t work for me *by themselves*.
    Rinseless wash doesn`t make sense to me either.

Might also break down stuff you *want* on the car Sure don`t want to redo all the seals/etc. every time, even if it doesn`t mess with the wax.
    It won`t react with rubber or plastic. Dressing, yes. But it`s a spot cleaner for tar and such.

What *does* that mix do to the LSPs you use? Does the vehicle look pristine after every wash without needing to rewax/etc. on a regular basis?
    It will strip most anything off the paint. Safe for acrylic base plastics (lamp cover safe). It`s slightly base (ph 7.5)

Does it encapsulate the dirt very effectively? How`s the lubricity with that much alcohol in it? What`s the, uhm...surfactant component...in that?
    it`s just a paint safe solvent

Maybe I`m just knee-jerking about it, but compared to a carefully determined choice of shampoo (or in my case, a mix of more than one) it just sounds....funny...to me.

Eh, I *am* talking Maintenance Wash here...for a Decontamination, that`d be different (I use ValuGard`s ABC or, rarely, the FinishKare version).
    It`s not a maintenance wash solution. Just for poo, tar and sap. Then reapply LSP to that spot.

You mean "...as a DRYING aid", right?
    Nope, I meant rinse aid. I`m using Opti-seal as a drying aid.

Same here (noting that I was a Shop Lacky myself, in both a dealership`s bodyshop and New Car Prep dept., way back in the `70s), though I *have* known dealership prep guys who were good enough that I let them do our vehicles. Regulars here have heard that before otherwise it`d be the sort of "!NO WAY! Not you..." thing that could crash the internet
    That I believe

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information