Thread: Hello from MA

Post Thanks / Like

Hello from MA

Hello, I`m Michael and I live in the Boston, MA area. I`ve been a classic Porsche enthusiast for 16 years or so. My first car was a 1962 Twin Grill Roadster (Porsche 356) black on red and was a garage queen! I loved that car but as it appreciated in value I couldn`t justify driving it. Porsches should be driven - often!

So I got a 1970 911S, white on black, to drive... often. It was a nicely preserved car and a lot easier to keep looking good in white. But then it started to appreciate and I couldn`t justify driving it.

So I ended up with a 1983 Porsche 911 SC Cabriolet in Moss Green Metallic on Champaign and Brown leather. I drive it lots, about 12K miles a year and she has 169K on the odometer today. It is a fantastic machine but I haven`t done any detailing or even polishing the paint since getting it 8 years ago. I know, but it was either drive or detail. I was looking at the old girl a few weeks ago and thought "Wow, I bet she would look fantastic if I polished the paint and got the swirls out, fixed the door edge chips and dings and some front end chips and some other minor things." So I`ve spent 6 weeks doing exactly that. Meticulously filling chips with color and many many thin coats of clear and then carefully sanding (Meguiar`s block) and polishing. The door edges took the longest and although they aren`t perfect (maybe another 10-15 coats of clear would do it) they are MUCH better than before and most people wouldn`t notice. I just finished the final prep for sealant today and hopefully tomorrow I`ll seal (if I can get an answer to the question I am about to post about white spots in tiny paint chips). And then I can finally get some good photos of the old girl. This one is the day she arrived 8 years ago.

Once I have the paint work and bumpers and other plastic and wheels one, I`ll put some attention to the interior.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hello from MA-p398659137-3.jpg   Hello from MA-p1486428837-3.jpg   Hello from MA-p899931573-3.jpg  
    Likes Mary B, GearHead_1, trashmanssd, mjlinane liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hello from MA

Hi

Nice cars !!!

What ya sealing em with?
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome .
    You put that many miles on and they still appreciate ? Nice !

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Autopia!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, this is a really active forum! Multiple replies within a few minutes. Thanks everyone.

I am using Meguiar`s products. I`ll use Meguiar`s Ultimate Liquid Wax to seal. I`ve posted my question now: Seeking advice on how to clean small front end chips of polish

@Mary B - I did`t put that many on the `62 or `70. but I did drive the frequently. The Cabriolet is getting more miles because I`ve been driving her to Rochester, NY 2 times a month - an 800 mile round trip. I take back roads through NH and VT (twists mountain roads) so it is therapeutic!
    Likes Ronkh, trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

beautiful cars, another Mass-hole here.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from a neighboring state

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome!

<----from mass too

Try steam if you can to get the chips cleaned out. Could try a 50/50 of alcohol and water, maybe even semi warm water.

Thread Information