Post Thanks / Like

Disappeared for six years

Man time flies! I used to frequent autopia often, spent a lot of money based on recommendations from this board. Life got in the way and other things took precedence.

My old MFT collection is getting long in the tooth which was what reminded me to come here!

I haven`t really been detailing as much so I still have my old and likely expired supplies, its all older than 2009. I still onr, two bucket method with grout sponges from Lowes?, throw on some fk425 or aquawax while drying and once in a while some sealant.

I still have a lot of original formula ONR, zaino clear seal, optiseal, gallon of fk425 (still love this stuff), 1.5 gallons of aquawax, opt tire shine, CG bare bones, og opt polishes and poliseal (this needs to be dumped), Wolfgang polishes, unused menzerna IP....list goes on.

Is there anything that is absolutely unusable anymore? The sealants seem fine but I haven`t corrected a car in ages, polishes OK?....is the portercable still the go to new guy tool?

Accumulator...scottwax...I see you!
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Disappeared for six years

Welcome back !!!!! Check out the Rupes, Flex, or the new Griots large throw polishers. There have been a ton of advances in the polisher market in the past 6 years !!!
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome back and your list of stuff looks pretty good. I wish I had a gallon of FK425 and Aquawax, in fact, I just used Aquawax on the dd the other day. Worked like a charm.

Post Thanks / Like

thesacrifice- Hey, welcome back!

I`d be surprised if *any* of that stuff is bad after only (yeah..."only" ) six years or so. Plenty of my products date from before we moved to this house in 2000 and before that they were in a shop that got HOT/sorta cold.

PC is no longer considered a viable polisher, though some like their newer XP model. There are just *so* many different units that are *so* much better...but it`s easy for me to spend your money.

Post Thanks / Like

I still have or had just about everything you`ve got but no longer use it. I`d say read up on all the current products, buy/try some new stuff and then decide what to do with the old school...sell, trade, give it away. I chose to garbage most of mine. Now I buy some but try to use up most of it over time. PC + pads + mf I would keep.

Post Thanks / Like

Just to chime in about the PC. I have one and like it, I also have a Rupes 21 and mini. I do believe with today`s advanced compounds/polishes the PC (in the right hands) could correct as well as anything. Maybe not as fast, but if you are into fast you could go rotary. Just a thought with all the hype about GG or Maxshine units coming from China. Plus, I think the Harbor Freight version of the PC is a big step up from hand polishing. For the person just doing his own car tossing out $400 for a tool with no training might be a little foolish. That`s why I started with the PC. Now I`ve got more polishers than I need and might buy a Flex just to play with. Hobbies are meant to be fun but mine may be turning into an obsession. Didn`t mean to hijack the thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Unless you`re doing several cars on a regular basis, the PC with MF and foam pads are all you`ll ever need.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
    Unless you`re doing several cars on a regular basis, the PC with MF and foam pads are all you`ll ever need.
    Noting that I`ve had two PCs since the `80s and am well-acquainted with them..not everybody will find the PC adequate. Just not time-efficient enough for some of us. With TheSacrifice having been away from the detailing scene for so long I don`t want to discourage him from looking into polishers that can easily save many hours per correction.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all. After some reading I have a small order on the way.

Optibond to replace their spray tire shine.
    UWW+ to wipe down my work vehicle which was getting too dirty for FK425 (streaky at any real cleaning amount) but not dirty enough for a whole wash regiment. Basically using it as a QD.
    Optimum Protectant Plus, giving this a go for leather/vinyl.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome back
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Thread Information