Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Newbie from Pittsburgh! Need advice on New Jet Black BMW

Hello All,

I have just purchased a 2015 Jet Black BMW. I want to take care of her the correct way from the begining. Learned may things from here already like the two bucket wash & strainers. I have been washing my own cars for years & sad to say was doing things wrong & could not figure out where scratches, swirl marks etc.... would come from. I did the two bucket wash today with strainers & could not believe how dirty both buckets were. With all this being said, I could have the dealer apply TST Protection. I have done some research & I am not convinced that this is a good option for $300.

I am currently thinking about buying the Black Fire Black kits & sealant or Chemical Guys? Please way in what you guys think as the car is 3 weeks old.

Thanks & Hello!

Tom Mikolay
    Likes silver2kws6 liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newbie from Pittsburgh! Need advice on New Jet Black BMW

Welcome to a great Forum, Tom !

Congratulations on the new Bimmer - which model ???

I have had a few Jet Black Bimmers and Detailed at least a hundred more..

A most beautiful paint color when properly corrected and polished to the highest level of clarity and gloss..

Have seen many, many, many, Dealer installed products and have never seen one worth a darn - certainly not $300..

Yes, you need to be really careful with this color as the Paint is on the softer side than any of the other colors..

It will be a labor of love for you unless you put a really good Coating on it like Optimum Pro, 2.0, etc.., and this will protect the paintwork and will be more scratch resistant..

The Blackfire products sold here and other places are very good, well thought out, and when applied correctly give you outstanding results.. They have done their homework and really turn out great things..

Chemical Guys - sigh... offer a Ton of stuff - enough to make one crazy.. I have not seen much quality and durability - for my needs - as I have seen in other brands..

If you really like maintaining a car, Jet Black will easily be the color that will keep you busy just keeping it clean and free from dirt and dust...

And then one has to worry about scratching it while cleaning it...

I would try to use a car wash soap that has a lot of lubricity and foam to help cushion the mitt you are using on it to carefully wash the car..

You will need to be looking at the mitt you use every time before you put on it the vehicle to make sure you didnt pick something up that going to scratch the finish...
    I dont mean stare at every square inch, but looking at it closely enough to notice anything that does not follow the pattern of the color and fibers of the mitt..

I have had the best success with Chenille type thick ones, and found that awhile ago, even Target sold a nice one...
    Two Buckets will always be better, and rinsing a lot before you start perhaps even with a pressure washer will help even more..

You cannot ever let the mitt touch the ground especially when washing the lower parts of the vehicle which should always be done last.. Start from the top and go down, all the way around..

Lots to learn here also an incredible amount of Talent, Wisdom and Enthusiasm, always available !

Good luck !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Dan!

I purchased 2015 328i XDrive with some options to make her my own. I have to say coming from a MB C300 Sport I love the BMW so much more as an everyday driver. I am going to call a local detailer tomorrow inplace of the Dealer applied TST as I believe this would be the best way to prtotect my investment.

Thanks Tom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Newbie from Pittsburgh! Need advice on New Jet Black BMW-image.jpg  
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

You are welcome, Tom !

That is a beautiful Bimmer !! I have been a member of the BMWCCA for going on 15 years.. My first was a Jet Black 3Series..

I have found after doing everything and trying everything for decades that the only thing that will NOT attract dirt and dust to our vehicles is a good quality Coating that has been around long enough to have a positive track record...

There are people making/inventing new Coatings, Sealants, etc., several times a year. There will always be something new to look at, be distracted by, etc...

Then there are the few if that many, that have been out there for years, working great, not having issues, still going strong...

It will be great to talk to a professional Detailer and get some feedback and ideas from regarding your beautiful Bimmer..

I have been casually looking at the 2Series and note the alarming price difference between the 2 different models in that line ( 228 vs 235) = around $11k extra.. Yikes !!! I also find it crazy that the 2Series is now priced even higher than a well equipped 3Series some 14 years ago... Everything has grown!!! Ever see the back end of the Dodge Challenger ??? Plus Sized big butt !!!

If you want to let us know what you find out, we can perhaps give you a few 2nd opinions so you have more information and can make a more educated decision...

Good Luck !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome, Tom, from another Steel City resident!
    What part of Pittsburgh do you call home?
    You`ll find a lot of good info here on taking proper care of your baby.
    BTW, there`s a certified Opti-Coat detailer from the area who`s a member here. Look up Evan J. in the community tab at the top of the forum page. Evan knows his stuff.
    I`ve worked at dealerships that sell TST and have used it myself. It`s not a bad product if applied properly, which is rarely, if ever, done at dealership level, but the coatings offered here at Autopia, however, are paint protection on a completely different level.
    I don`t use them on my own black DD, since I actually enjoy playing with different waxes and polishes, but for my other family DD`s, coatings are definitely worth the investment.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forums! Congrats on the new ride. Only advice I have for black is trade it in ASAP for another color, run don`t walk. Kidding aside black looks nice and hard to keep clean. I drive my Camaro year round and for the summer you can`t go wrong with BlackFire products as that is what I use on it. I do change in the winter and use Finish Kare 1000p for winter protection as it seems to last the long winters we have. If I ever use that up I will probably just switch to BF products year round.
    Dean.

Post Thanks / Like

If you live in the north east you only need one thing on your car, cquartz UK. lIts very low maintenance, looks incredible and extremely durable... As well as stops those light wash an dry tracer marks. I like in NY an after having cq uk I sold, it`s currently on 3/4 cars in the house. That said I love the look of blackfire wet diamond, especially the fire combo.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome

You`re not the only one who found this place due to a jb bmw

Good advice above
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

If you have a JB BMW I respectfully suggest that you get good health insurance, a good psychologist (who can prescribe meds) and do the best you can.

Black is not a color, it is a part time job. Been there .......................

Just kidding (not really kidding),

Learn to polish and finish down. Its not easy on flat black but you will get it. I suggest a perfect panel approach. When I had a black car, it took too long for me to perfect the whole car. SO tackled it one panel at a time. Sometimes only doing 1 panel per session. Wash, decon, Clay, polish and coat.

There are lots of good products for your LSP. Cquartz is popular but I have no personal experience, Opti-Coat is also good and durable and EXO by GTECH is good and my current favorite. I would say based on my hanging around here as long as I have either of the 3 would get you there. Just be sure you are educated on coating before you jump in. Watch videos, its not that hard. Or opt for a sealant like Blackfire WD or Power Lock. Both durable and look great. I also like IW 845 by colonite.

Ask and you will get answers.
    Likes Ronkh, Jsmooth liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I am originally a Pittsburgher as well from the South Hills. Nice choice on the car but Black in PGH especially during Winter will be tough ! I`ve used Blackfire products on my dads black C6 Vette and it shines very well but then again he doesnt drive in the snow with that car. Good Luck !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Jack View Post
    Welcome, Tom, from another Steel City resident!
    What part of Pittsburgh do you call home?
    You`ll find a lot of good info here on taking proper care of your baby.
    BTW, there`s a certified Opti-Coat detailer from the area who`s a member here. Look up Evan J. in the community tab at the top of the forum page. Evan knows his stuff.
    I`ve worked at dealerships that sell TST and have used it myself. It`s not a bad product if applied properly, which is rarely, if ever, done at dealership level, but the coatings offered here at Autopia, however, are paint protection on a completely different level.
    I don`t use them on my own black DD, since I actually enjoy playing with different waxes and polishes, but for my other family DD`s, coatings are definitely worth the investment.

Bill
    Premier Auto Detailing by Evan Jankowski

+1 on Evan J I believe his lives in the Tarentum area.
    There’s a place in the brain for knowing what cannot be remembered.
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Autopia!!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome, If you bought it from A&L don`t let them wash it. I and other family members currently own BMW`s. The car will finish out very nicely. On my own and others I have done, I have had excellent results with menzerna products, with lake country ccs pads. I would think once you clay the vehicle down some white , black and blue pads would be all you need. A bottle of PF2500 power finish, bottle of SF4000 super finish , SF4500 Super Finish (only for absolutely flawless finish, otherwise SF4000 finishes down very nicely ), and protect with PL-88 Power lock. I apply all with a Flex XC3402 VRG. If you take care of the finish you`ll no doubt have one of the nicest looking BMW finishes.

Post Thanks / Like

Someone mentioned Evan. He is great
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes Jsmooth liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

mikstr- Welcome to Autopia!

For some reason the Jet Black`s clear is notorious for being soft and easy-to-mar. So it`s not just "another black car" with regard to how you`ll need to care for it.

DO NOT let the dealership apply their protection package, don`t even (ever) let them wash it. They`ll do more harm than good.

IMO the advice regarding a coating is spot-on, but it`ll need to be polished to perfection prior to that application. So go with Evan.

And IMO you need to get your wash regimen sorted out; when I read "dirt in both buckets" I think "uh-oh...".
    Likes Ecrissman, Ronkh liked this post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information