Post Thanks / Like

Why hello Autopia

Hello from CT, just registered and have been reading through the forums and getting great info. Looking though the products and the store has really expanded my idea and view of auto detailing, and was pleasantly surprised that there are active communities sharing the knowledge.Looking forward to learning as much as I can.

I just got a new car, and recently started to get into a "beginners detailing routine". Im looking to up my game. Currently my kit includes a Meguiars clay bar kit, NXT soap, some old Mothers FX SynWax, and the detailing spray that comes with the clay kit. I just ordered some Chemical Guy products, the Glossworks shampoo, JetSeal, and V7 spritz. I want to add a nice wax to the mix since I just used the last of the Synwax, maybe the CG 50/50 or Midnight Sun? Then Im thinking of getting some interior upkeep products and some wheel/rim protection. Also unfortunately I opted to get the Simonize sealant and interior sealant at the dealership, it was an impulse buy at the time that I regret.

So my routine will be to wash with the Glossworks, throw on some Jetseal, let that cure for an hour and buff off, then spread another coat on, cure/buff, then spray on the V7, then finish it with a new carnauba wax. Should I use the V7 after the jet seal or after the wax? Does the V7 and JetSeal synergize, or are they standalone products that will in no way work better when applied one after the other? I currently do everything by hand with an assortment of microfiber towels, I have a sheep`s wool wash mitt and a garden hose w/multi mode nozzle, I also use 2 buckets.

Anyways sorry for the long intro and thanks for any input and advise.

PS: I am experiencing trouble ordering from the online store (unfortunately I had to order from AutoGeeks a few days ago while my forums account was being validated here, since I can`t find Chem Guys anywhere other than Autopia and AG). Items are not added to the cart, even though the `view cart` pop-up displays, when I hit add to cart button. Any help here would be great since I want to support Autopia with my future purchases. Thanks guys!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why hello Autopia

Welcome to AutopiaForums!!

Let`s see:

Wax - BF Midnight Sun is a great choice. Easy on, easy off, great look.

Interior - probably the simplest if the interior is in good shape would be something like Megs QID or CG Innerclean. If needs work, you`ll need an interior cleaner. BF is good one.

Jetseal and V7 are standalone products. You can use V7 before and after wax, if you choose.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to AutopiaForums! I`m not sure why your introduction post jumped to the bottom and was missed by all. I assure you we are are a friendly bunch!

PS: I am experiencing trouble ordering from the online store (unfortunately I had to order from AutoGeeks a few days ago while my forums account was being validated here, since I can`t find Chem Guys anywhere other than Autopia and AG). Items are not added to the cart, even though the `view cart` pop-up displays, when I hit add to cart button. Any help here would be great since I want to support Autopia with my future purchases. Thanks guys!
    Try refreshing and see if this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

PS your long introduction was great!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Autopia Forums !!!!
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

welcome to AF SakiN !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    Welcome to AutopiaForums! I`m not sure why your introduction post jumped to the bottom and was missed by all. I assure you we are are a friendly bunch!

Try refreshing and see if this helps.
    Thanks guys, and thanks Todd for the suggestion. I, for some reason, on my Mac cannot use the shopping cart, I just used a friends laptop and everything went through.

My order should come this week:
    CP IronX
    CP Reload
    CG Citrus wash & gloss
    CG Luber
    Guzzler drying towel
    CarPro Suede MF towel pack
    1Z W99
    Pre Wow trim brush
    Pinnacle foam gun 1/2Gal
    Wookie`s Fist

Backordered:

CarPro Eraser
    Optimum Opti-Coat

Uber pumped!

So I have been reading on all the forums about advantages of opticoating your car or truck and was wondering if I am right in thinking that the hydrophobic and sealant qualities out weigh the sheer protection factor, generally. What I mean by that is, the motivator in applying the coating is based more in the properties rather than the physical protection it offerers?

I fall into the opposite boat, where I want the peace of mind that I have something harder than the clear coat on the car. And I know this isn`t a chip proof/ClearBra level of protection, but is a level above "just off the lot". And in my case, that extra protection just happens to come with great beading and contamination protection.

That being said, I currently have CG Jet Seal 109 and V7 layered on the car and its fantastic, the best stuff I have used thus far (granted Ive just gotten into detailing). When I read the many threads on OptiCoat, the one thing I have not found an answer to is: if I continually top the OptiCoating every few weeks or at least once a month with new and different sealants, waxes, and sprays am I compromising any aspects of the OptiCoating? Are there too strong of ingredients found in sealants for example that can, if repeatedly applied, change the OptiCoat molecularly and weaken it over time?

For example, using 1Z W99 to strip old layers of wax or sealant vs using CG W&G or CG Glossworks that I currently have will inherently be more potent than the same dilution of CG products. Would I be wrong to use 1Z as my go to shampoo, even when diluted correctly?

Its a strange stance, where I almost want to protect the OptiCoat as to prolong its life and thus the protection it grants. I know my OCD is showing but I get pretty anal when it comes to my car. Well thanks for looking and for any input on the OptiCoat.

Thanks again from everyone, and mjlinane I`m looking into your suggestions. Probably will pick up that InnerClean (sounds like a dietary product ) and some Wolfs Textile Sealant. I am a sucker for the tech packed products especially sealants.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome !!

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Bunky!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SakiN View Post
    Thanks guys, and thanks Todd for the suggestion. I, for some reason, on my Mac cannot use the shopping cart, I just used a friends laptop and everything went through.

My order should come this week:
    CP IronX
    CP Reload
    CG Citrus wash & gloss
    CG Luber
    Guzzler drying towel
    CarPro Suede MF towel pack
    1Z W99
    Pre Wow trim brush
    Pinnacle foam gun 1/2Gal
    Wookie`s Fist

Backordered:

CarPro Eraser
    Optimum Opti-Coat

Uber pumped!
    Congrats on the order, we are just as excited to hear your feed back!

So I have been reading on all the forums about advantages of opticoating your car or truck and was wondering if I am right in thinking that the hydrophobic and sealant qualities out weigh the sheer protection factor, generally. What I mean by that is, the motivator in applying the coating is based more in the properties rather than the physical protection it offerers?
    I would say the benefits are equal. Not only will it provide the physical characteristics you mentioned but it will add scratch resistant as well as protect against bug and bird bomb damage.

I fall into the opposite boat, where I want the peace of mind that I have something harder than the clear coat on the car. And I know this isn`t a chip proof/ClearBra level of protection, but is a level above "just off the lot". And in my case, that extra protection just happens to come with great beading and contamination protection.
    This is how I view it as well!

That being said, I currently have CG Jet Seal 109 and V7 layered on the car and its fantastic, the best stuff I have used thus far (granted Ive just gotten into detailing). When I read the many threads on OptiCoat, the one thing I have not found an answer to is: if I continually top the OptiCoating every few weeks or at least once a month with new and different sealants, waxes, and sprays am I compromising any aspects of the OptiCoating? Are there too strong of ingredients found in sealants for example that can, if repeatedly applied, change the OptiCoat molecularly and weaken it over time?
    No, I have witnessed Opti-Coat washed with degreaser, strong (caustic based) soaps, all purpose cleaners, and dawn over the course of a year and never noticed any measurable degradation in water beading or assumed protection.

For example, using 1Z W99 to strip old layers of wax or sealant vs using CG W&G or CG Glossworks that I currently have will inherently be more potent than the same dilution of CG products. Would I be wrong to use 1Z as my go to shampoo, even when diluted correctly?
    In my experience you can wash it with whatever you would like. Dr. G has assured me (and my torture testing has proven) that the only way to remove Opti-Coat is to abrade it off.

Its a strange stance, where I almost want to protect the OptiCoat as to prolong its life and thus the protection it grants. I know my OCD is showing but I get pretty anal when it comes to my car. Well thanks for looking and for any input on the OptiCoat.
    It isn`t a strange stance, it is the correct stance. By protecting the coating that is protecting your paint, you are protecting your paint. This is the same reason we offer (and sell) a lot of wax/sealant maintence products. It is good reasoning and your car is lucky to have an owner as `OCD` as yourself. AutopiaForums will be a good home for you!

Thanks again from everyone, and mjlinane I`m looking into your suggestions. Probably will pick up that InnerClean (sounds like a dietary product ) and some Wolfs Textile Sealant. I am a sucker for the tech packed products especially sealants.
    Our pleasure!

Thread Information