Post Thanks / Like
    Hello board...

I just wanted to introduce myself and offer a big thank you to everyone that regularly contributes to the site. I will (now and probably forever) consider myself a newbie to the field. I, like many others, am considering starting a new mobile detail business and have come here to find a little support and try to get my skillset back up to speed.

I learned auto detailing in High School; it was offered as an elective class in the late 80s where I grew up. I fell in love with the art and, after excelling in class, was soon buffing and waxing teachers` cars as part of class. I spent summers working for a local auto detailing shop that was also part of a used car dealership and we also detailed cars for other car lots. My experience at this job was eye opening. I could never run a business performing work like we did then...I remember the "expert" on the job was an older man who smoked constantly. He could often be seen working on or even in a car, all the while having a burning cigarette in his mouth with smoke billowing over his head. I remember being impressed that he could work with all that smoke in his face and it never occured to me how that smoke was stinking up the inside of a car. The practices that the shop used were so scary I`m surprised they got as much as business as they did. It was common practice to use paint to cover up any bad areas...trunk (and often interior) carpet was spray painted and brushed to soften it up. Under the hood, we would paint hoses with black paint and then spray the entire engine bay with clearcoat to get it to shine. I remember a customer brought in an antique car that had been vandalized with spray paint. Through buffing, we were able to get it cleaned up but the "master" decided to go the extra mile and detail the engine compartment complete with black paint and clear coat. The owner was furious upon receiving his antique car all nicely "cleaned" up. While many of the cars were trade-ins for the used dealership, mistakes were never usually a problem. Not my proudest moments, for sure. I didnt stay with the profession and eventually went to college and have worked in the electronics industry for years. I have always proudly detailed my own vehicles and felt like I could do a better job than most local companies but its always been more or less a passion than a hobby or source of income.

Im soon to be 40 years old and have gone through a divorce, lost my job a few months ago and moved in with my girlfriend near the beach. While this a beautiful place to live, it doesn`t offer a lot of employment options. It seems that most jobs require very general (labor) experience and my experience is very specialized. Im about to the end of my sanity at this point. Recently, I started wondering what it would take for me to work for myself here (like many locals) and the detiling business came back into mind. Of course, with my keen attention to detail, I would not be very happy settling for mediocrity but I also have to provide a living for my family. There are not many mobile detailers here on the outer banks and I think I could probably give it a go. There are many fears and questions but I wouldnt expect there not to be.

Im not ready to start this venture, just yet, but I`m interested in giving it a good amount of consideration. Cheers,

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome from Raleigh.

I am not sure how much detailing work there is on the Outer Banks (been there many times) but there is a plenty of people with money plus the state is so kind to keep rebuilding the roads out there. It is almost just the opposite further inland.

Good luck.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome. And thanks for telling us your story. I wish you the best...you`ve got a great attitude!
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome from Morrisville/Raleigh. You might be in a great area to start. There was a recent inquiry from someone in Jacksonville who was looking for a detailer in the area. Nobody stepped up and I ended up meeting the guy in Wilmington on my way through. Do good work and you should make out pretty well. Competition should be minimal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome and good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the welcomes. I think that if detailing or car washes were slow I could always provide pressure washing service as well. That seems to be a popular thing here, what with the algae and mold growth on peoples` homes due to the humidity. Just the salty air makes me want to wash my old truck in fear of it rusting apart! My grampa used to tell me to never buy a car that spent time near the coast cause it would be a rust bucket, but maybe thats old news nowadays. If all else fails, there are plenty of jobs in Raleigh!

Thread Information