Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Don`t just stop here Newbies!!!

Good Morning all.

Just found your forum and trolled a little this morning to see if this was a good fit. I`m looking at pursuring my own business in detailing and leave Corporate America. So I thought I would find a forum where I can network with fellow detailers and trade ideas on better detailing. I hope to learn some tricks of the trade from you all.

Semper Fi.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Hello all.
    Michael from Perth, Western Australia.

I`m not an obsessive car detailer by any stretch.
    But I do like to look after my cars.

We own a Kia Carnival 2012 (modified for wheel chair).
    Forester 2002 (mine from new)
    VW golf 2017. - this just purchased this week and only 21k km on clock. In amazing condition.

Family of 4. Son son now has licence and take ownership of Forester.

Sent from my SM-A716B using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by michaelyoni64 View Post
    Hello all.
    Michael from Perth, Western Australia.

I`m not an obsessive car detailer by any stretch.
    But I do like to look after my cars.

We own a Kia Carnival 2012 (modified for wheel chair).
    Forester 2002 (mine from new)
    VW golf 2017. - this just purchased this week and only 21k km on clock. In amazing condition.

Family of 4. Son son now has licence and take ownership of Forester.

Sent from my SM-A716B using Tapatalk
    Welcome!! This site can seem quiet, but there are alot of folks with vast knowledge that do look everyday and can answer any questions you ever have. Great site with great people.

Post Thanks / Like

welcome

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldkentman View Post
    I have been hesitant to post again because I am not sure of the proper location to ask my questions. I would appreciate advice as to where to ask these...

Does anyone have advice on how to apply touch up paint? I have a 2006 Mercedes CLS. The touch up paint came with paint and clearcoat. The brushes seem awfully big for the job. Do I want to use as little as possible, or try to fill in the hole of the stone chip?

I realize that "what kind of wax is best?" is an annoying question but I am looking for a good wax for Mercedes paint in Pewter. I am wondering if anyone has experience with this paint. I am not sure what I want out of the wax as far as depth, gloss, and wetness. I just want to make my car look even better. I am considering the trial size of Dodo Juice Supernatural. Any feedback will be appreciated.
    Regarding the touch up paint, you need to find an automotive paint store and ask them to sell you a Sword Brush.. It`s a small brush that when wet, makes a perfect, tiny, tip at the end to apply just enough paint into that paint chip place...

What does the directions say that came with the touch up paint you purchased??? I have always had excellent results with Dr. Colorchip products, following their directions...

Also, have been an Auto Painter, and the sword brush is what we used at the shop to fix paint chips on Client`s cars, because we wanted the car to look as close to perfect as it could..

You need to warm up the paint and clear coat, I just put them in my pocket for awhile and that seems to warm them up just fine, and shake them up really well after warming them up, then go do the work..

You want to apply the paint with that brush in layers if possible, letting it dry in between.. You need to leave a little room for the 2nd stage clear coat layer, so think about that too..

Rinse the sword brush out in lacquer thinner, (which is most likely what the touch up paint is made of), and you will be fine... I use a little lacquer thinner to initially wet the sword brush, not so much it`s dripping, and while it is still just moist, get a little paint on the tip of the brush and go immediately to the chip and start the fill process...

Assume you cleaned and dried the chip surface beforehand..

Practice on something first if you are not sure about how this works or you`re not that steady with the brush placement, etc...

Understand that even with all the preparation, application, some paint chips will not ever look perfect, and they may eventually lose the paint in the chip and you will have to do it over again.. It is not a perfect science..

Waxes ? This could take a long time to discuss..

Tha last time I use any wax because the Client wanted it, I used Finish Kare BWM 101 Hi-Temp Paste Wax, (on a recommendation from my good friend, Accumulator), and it worked great and looked great...

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

oldkentman- Since Stokdgs was kind enought mention me...I`ll toss in:

Another option for touchup brushes is to use tiny artists brushes in the 0 ("oh") to 000 ("triple oh"). Or even the small disposable ones that`re on the market now.

FWIW, I use the Dr ColorChips stuff the same as I use regular touchup paint, and I *DO NOT* follow their "smear it all around and then use the solvent" instructions. I do use the solvent to level if that`s called for, but I use it the same way I use the Langka Blob Eliminator solvent.

Until any touchup paint has cured for a while (like..three months), I protect it with Optimum Car Wax, which is tested/OK on "post-production paintwork" as Ford put it. After the paint is cured, *then* I`d break out that Fk1000P.

NO no no, I`m not disagreeing with Dan, just mentioning some other options to consider (maybe if his suggestions don`t work/appeal as well as they might). And he`s absolutely right about not expecting perfection; just aim for "better than it was", especially with metallics. Yeah, some guys are real miracle-workers, but not Yours Truly..and I`m no klutz

Oh, and Welcome to Autopia!

Post Thanks / Like

Old time member, but back after several years. Just purchased a 2023 Mazda CX-5 turbo in Soul red.

Need to keep her fresh. Going to lurk for a bit...
    Likes noorth liked this post

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information