Post Thanks / Like
    Hi folks

Matt from Chico, CA here. Referred by TDIclub. Hope you`re all well :-)

Ok, I`ve combed through a bunch of the newbie stuff...and I learned a bit about proper technique....and I also learned that I really just want to learn more about maintaining my vehicle`s finish between professional detail jobs. I`m just not cut out for the polishing, etc. A man has to know his limitations, eh?

Anyway, to that end, there are no autotopia pros listed for my town. I`ve been using one guy who seems OK, but I really don`t have anything to compare it to. I also, until now, had not known what to even ask him to help determine if he`s any good. So, what *should* i ask a potential shop / detailer?

what products do you use?

tell me what your steps are to a detail job?

what other questions should I ask to help determine if the guy knows what he`s doing? I know what to as a potential mechanic....never thought about a detailer

thanks for your time! This site is a great resource...

matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Well the way I see it, if you`re wondering if he`s a good detailer or not the chances are he probably isn`t. On the flip side, if he`s moderately priced and delivers your vehicle clean, then that`s mostly what many people look for. If he`s charging a top dollar price for paint correction, I would do your research on here and learn what processes are involved. Then you can ask him about washing/drying techniques to see if it induces marring. Ask to see the condition of his pads and make sure his products are not fillers. You can also ask to watch him work and ask him questions. For instance, if he`s polishing a car ask him if he clayed the car beforehand and if not ask why not. The main thing is to do your own research on here and formulate your own set of questions for him based on understanding the right and wrong way to detail.

Post Thanks / Like
    ^ +1 :thx :tribe:

Post Thanks / Like
    foam pads are usually a decent indicator of a decent detailer. If all he uses is wool pads, thats probably when you should begin to run away.

Not to sure of a round about way to ask that though.

Another way to ASSume, would be by his prices and what he does for a given price. If you want a nice exterior detail/polish, dont expect to pay $150 and get a superb job.

Price = time = results, if and only if he`s a real professional.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome and good to have another car enthusiast on board.

Others have already hinted at something that seems to be the norm: good pros charge good pro money. If you want it all done for $200, don`t expect results to be superior. Do some research here as to what people use, how many people can vouch for their work, plenty of examples of the quality they put out, if they`re insured, what type of products / tools they use, etc.

The biggest step might be finding the type of guy that can perform the work correctly, but the unsung hero is learning how to take proper care of the car afterwards. Getting a decent collection of wash media and products to maintain the finish will also cost you some money, but it`s worth budgeting that in; without doing so you`re likely wasting your money
    Marc Harris from AutoLavish Fine Automobile Care of Michigan

Thread Information