Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys, just joined up. I`ve always done all my polishing and waxing my hand. I am stepping into a new world here and about to purchase my first polisher. Look forward to reading all of your advice!:thx

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey man, I`m from Greenville also, I live between cherydale and Furman univ.

Good to have ya.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow!!! The population of upstaters on this site just double in a matter of days.

Welcome guys.

Acura...what kind of Acura do you have??

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Acuraholic, nice to see you another fellow upstater on the boards! Like forstydog said, our numbers are really growing! This weekend is looking good for some polishing and waxing!

Post Thanks / Like
    What`s up guys? Yeah, I think we all decided to check the forum out at the same time haha. My car is a 2005 Acura TL, black with bronze Volk wheels! Highly performance (mainly suspension) modified.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome!

I`m located in the Five Forks area, let me know if you need anything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool, thanks man. I am in Simpsonville near the Harrison Bridge Road area. I am looking into Poorboys products since they seem to have alot of a black car, any tips? looking into the PC 7424 kit with the ssr2, ssr1, ex-p and then adding the black hole polish as well. Any advice is welcomed! If you guys need any audio/video/security advice, let me know. I am a 12 year veteraned installer recently laid off by Circuit City~!

Post Thanks / Like
    The Porter Cable 7424 rules! I love mine, make sure you get good pads for it.

Lots people like the Poorboys products, I have not used them but they have a good rep.

Are you pretty handy installing remote starts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty handy yes. What kind of vehicle do you want to put one on? I`ve done a bit of side work since we shut down, seems like everyone is in the market for a remote start these days.

As far as pads I am looking at Lake Country, Orange/White/Black for polish/glaze/sealant. I am accustomed to using Zaino by hand but all I have left is some z2 and spray enhancer. Time to invest in some good products, but there`s just SO much out there

Post Thanks / Like
    I am looking at a 2006 F150, belongs to a friend, it will be available to me in a few weeks, we are just waiting on his new truck to come in.

It has the factory remote locks, i was trying to decide between a Ford remote start system or an aftermarket alarm/remote start.

I also have Lake Country pads, I like them a lot. I have not tried Zaino but I have read about others peoples good experiences.

For products I am using Optimum. I like their stuff and it works well and the price is pretty good. I can let you try some if you want. I am over in Mauldin.

Post Thanks / Like
    06 f150 is a relatively easy install, it is best to have an extra key that gets placed into a transponder (bypass) box for the immobilizer. So that is a little extra cost but nothing ridiculous. I can probably get you everything for around $250 or so including installation with keyless entry so that you are all self contained on one remote. Good luck with the local Ford dealers. They mainly let Rogers Stereo do the majority of their work.

I have read alot on optimum, people really seem to like it on the Acura forums. I may take you up on it. I found a good deal on a PC 7424/Poorboys package with LC 5.5" pads - around $240 shipped. Not too shabby I don`t think.

As far as Zaino, I`ve liked their products but believe there is better stuff out there for the money, but some people swear by it. To each his own I guess.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your reply, I will check on the extra key cost. What kind of system would you use?

Ahh yes, Rogers Stereo, I would rather take a day off and do it myself. Its not that I don`t trust them, I just don`t trust them...

Yea, PM me if you want to check out some of the Optimum stuff, I have most of their products but not all of them. I got hooked on them! lol

Post Thanks / Like
    I would do a DEI system. Viper, Valet, Avital - they are all the same manufacturer. I`m not going to bash Rogers because they do have some good people that work there, but I would never work there unless it was a do or die situation. I am the type of installer to take 4 hours on the job and do it right rather than take 2 hours and have the customer keep coming back. Unfortunately, that`s the way commissioned installers are. rush rush rush. That`s why I did the CC route for so long. I did 95% of the remote start work that came through there so there`s really not much I haven`t seen in 12 years of installing. Let me know when you are ready and I`ll do it for ya or at least help ya get a deal on the pieces you will need and some tech info.

Post Thanks / Like
    Will do man, thanks much!

Its the rush rush part that I despise also, some jobs\cars just take more time to do them right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Acuraholic
    My car is a 2005 Acura TL, black with bronze Volk wheels! Highly performance (mainly suspension) modified.

nice ride, VERY nice wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Acuraholic
    Cool, thanks man. I am in Simpsonville near the Harrison Bridge Road area. I am looking into Poorboys products since they seem to have alot of a black car, any tips? .

I used to have a 2004 TSX Night Hawk Black Pearl (I think that`s the name of the Acura/Honda Black for those years??)

The Acura NHBP is VERY soft, stupid soft. This can be good and bad. The good...you`ll have no problem correcting the paint with a PC and a mild polish. You`ll get excellent results and will improve the finish 10 fold after a proper polish with the PC. You shouldn`t even need an aggressive polish/pad combo unless you have a specific "deep wound" to correct. When you`re done it is a BEUTIFUL looking black.

The bad...within minutes after completions you`ll start noticing minor scratches and such. Literally rubbing the paint lightly with your finger will leave an ever so light scratch. While soft paint is easy to correct it`s also easy to mark up, further compound that with being black.

My best advice...don`t kill yourself trying to get the finish 100%, you can drive yourself mad (I`ve been there) and you`ll turn what should take about 3-4 hours into a full weekend job. 97% will still look astonishing.

I`ve found the newer acrylic "glazes" work quite well with that paint type and can save you a bit of time when time does not allow for a proper polish.

If you have any specific questions don`t hesitate to ask. I`ve literally spent 100`s of hours with that paint type.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information