Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all,

I am so glad that I found this forum. Everyone here is so knowledgeable and kind. I used to take my car to the shop to detail but the work couldn`t compare to any of the work on this site. Therefore, I am trying to learn how to detail the car myself.

I have a black 2004 Acura RSX and I think that keeping it looking nice is the way to show my love!

So far, I am still scared about using pc or rotary. I have watched the videos online and they look pretty big and heavy. If there is any girls on this forum using a machine, would you please recommend any light-weight, easy-to-handle machine that I can use? My hands are pretty small, wearing x-small gloves, so I want to make sure that I get a good grip on the machine.

Thank you all for reading! I am looking forward to the spring so I can do some work on the car.:laugh:

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum. My wife used my Cyclo once with no problems. She is small as well. The Cyclo, because of its balance has very little vibration. It is also pretty light weight.
    Brad Will- Owner

Reflections Auto Salon LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    The Porter Cable is pretty easy for anyone, esp beginners. I would recommend you start out with a kit from Autogeek. The Menzerna Porter Cable Kit is pretty easy to work with

Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to Autopia!

My wife is very small and had no prior experience before using a pc. After going over the tailgate of a truck I couldnt get her off the thing lol. You should be fine!
    Quality Doesn`t Cost, It Pay`s

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey there,

Welcome! I`d recommend starting with the PC since it`ss very light and easy to use. The vibration can get a little annoying but it`s actually not that big and is very easy to control.

Post Thanks / Like
    :welcome to Autopia, bubble!

No need to be scared of a pc, girls learn to use them all the time. (And there are plenty of women who wield a mean rotary too. :xyxthumbs)

Here are shots of a couple of ladies at one of Meguiar`s intro to detailing classes in Irvine, both are first timers at any sort of power buffing and picked up the pc easily.

This young lady is 10 years old.

This young lady is her grandmother.

You`ll have no problem, dive on in.

pc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by the other pc

This young lady is her grandmother.

:nervous: :bolt

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detaildoc
    :nervous: :bolt

What? She`s got the cord over her shoulder!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    What? She`s got the cord over her shoulder!

It looks like the strap of her bag...

Thanks everyone! This is very encouraging, especially the pictures of the young ladies. :xyxthumbs

I am gonna use my newbie coupon to get a pc! Let`s hope that I remember all the info from the mistake threads...

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome bubble and yes, do not be discouraged. likewise, i think the PC is a great way to start.

Post Thanks / Like
    I discovered DC for the same reason as you did. I had a new CR-V that I wanted to learn to maintain myself. The skill and talent of the people here is incredible. I own a PC and have had no trouble using it in regards to its size and weight. Centering the pads on it is important to minimize vibrations and prevent wear and tear on the PC itself, but this can be avoided altogether by using Edge system pads. I do have a pair of mechanics gloves that have open fingertips and padded palms that make it more comfortable to use the PC. I got mine at Sears as they had a high end Craftsman model that were available in a small size. It is a challenge to find work and tool gloves in small sizes locally! I also have a nice set of knee pads and a foam garden kneeling pad for working on side panels. Proper ergonomics with the polisher makes them easy to use in terms of there size and weight. I`m not short, 5`8", so I don`t need a platform to do most things except the roof. Use one if you find yourself extending your arms too far beyond your shoulders to reach the center of the hood for example. Go to a home store and pick up a display PC and wave it around. Ask someone to help you if the PC is bolted to the display. I had to insist that this be done at Lowe`s when I was buying brad and finish nailers but you shouldn`t buy them without testing them out in your hand if at all possible. I have small size 6 hands. I think one of the most common things that throws people when they fire up a PC for the first time is the noise. They are noisy but they won;t eat you alive. A PC has no idea, nor would it care, about the gender of the person holding it. Go for it!

Post Thanks / Like
    you can handle the PC no problem

Post Thanks / Like
    mtwedt! I forgot all about you! Haven`t seen you on here in forever!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mtwedt
    I`m not short, 5`8", so I don`t need a platform to do most things except the roof.

Thank you so much! This reminds me that I do need a platform for the roof. I am only 5`3" and I barely touch the middle of the roof when I wash my car.

I will definitely stop by lowes to try it first. It`s a really good idea.

I stopped by Harbor Freight yesterday and got some supplies. I am very excited to start detailing!

Post Thanks / Like
    welcome, i`m a fellow honda owner as well! 2007 Honda Civic Si! I just joined and will be investigating which PC is suitable for me as well!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information