Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Total Noob who wants to get started

It ocurred to me, everyone in Atlanta, that next weekend, October 1, is the big race at Road Atlanta.

I`ll be heading up there with some work associates to watch the Petit Lemans race on Saturday...so maybe the following weekend makes more sense.

I broke down and ordered a PC, and based on reviews here and autopia, the Optimum detail kit with OC, OP and O Car wax. I can`t wait to give it all a try, first, on our Jeep Liberty Renegade, and maybe then i`ll attach some of the scratches that MIke was nervous to go after himself......

Post Thanks / Like

You`ll be driving by my place probably then! Drop off some of that OCW so I can try it out!!!! I also would like to see a comparison of the O. Polish and O. Compound vs the Menzerna IP and FPII that I have. I have a great swirly/scratched black test call all ready for you guys!!!

Are you going to the race on Sunday also, because I believe that is the day they are speaking of. Sat is usually bad for me too because of college football.

Post Thanks / Like

No, I won`t be going up on Sunday, but since i`ll be gone all day Saturday, i`m not sure the wife will be thrilled with me taking off sunday to talk shop and watch football. Just too much going on next weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

Just trying to get everything worked out here, so are we saying that there will be no meeting/get to gether until Oct. 9th?

On another note, have you gotten that OCW order yet? If so how do you like it, I am thinking about ordering some as a topper for Zaino Z2 pro. Maybe give it a little warmer look. I also would like it or something easily applied like it, for door jams and stuff like that. I always forget to do them when doing Zaino.

Detailing Rottweiler 1 Clean WS6's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SailRace
    ...and maybe then i`ll attach some of the scratches that MIke was nervous to go after himself......
    Raif those scratches are far too deep for a PC to remove (or even a rotary for that matter...I had both machines on them). The only way to eliminate them is through wetsanding but the amount of clear that would need to be removed to completely remove them would without question compromise the clear coat. All three are very deep clear scratches.

My suggestion would be to attack all three with the PC and the Optimum polishes to level them further and then use a product with some fillers to hide the rest of the damage. Liquid Souveran would be an excellent candidate in this regard for your black paint.
    Mike
    Sweating the Details Mobile Detailing Service
    Owner/Operator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wterry
    I am thinking about ordering some as a topper for Zaino Z2 pro. Maybe give it a little warmer look. I also would like it or something easily applied like it, for door jams and stuff like that. I always forget to do them when doing Zaino.
    Without question try the Z-8 spray sealant. It adds a level of depth to Zaino products that simply blew me away. It is also 100% compatible with the entire Zaino line so you will not have to strip any products in order to add more coats of Zaino.
    Mike
    Owner/Operator

Post Thanks / Like

Mike,

Good point. I have z8 and have used it on both of my cars and agree it definitely makes it look better. I have been using z6 after washes because of the cost of the Z8.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Clean WS6
    Raif those scratches are far too deep for a PC to remove (or even a rotary for that matter...I had both machines on them). The only way to eliminate them is through wetsanding but the amount of clear that would need to be removed to completely remove them would without question compromise the clear coat. All three are very deep clear scratches.

My suggestion would be to attack all three with the PC and the Optimum polishes to level them further and then use a product with some fillers to hide the rest of the damage. Liquid Souveran would be an excellent candidate in this regard for your black paint.
    Don`t get me wrong... i defintiely figured they were too deep to get out with just a PC. I`ll look into picking up some of the Souveran as a filler, as needed. But i may just decide to get agressive and try some very light wetsanding to try to even them down a little further and take the edge off of them. Unfortunatley, even as my daily driver, i`m too anal about wanting the car looking great, so either i try the wetsanding, or i have the hood repainted - the hood certainly has the most noticeable imperfections. I might as well try the wetsanding a little bit myself. I`ve ordered some 3000, 2500, and 2000 unigrit paper...so we`ll see.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wterry
    On another note, have you gotten that OCW order yet? If so how do you like it, I am thinking about ordering some as a topper for Zaino Z2 pro. Maybe give it a little warmer look. I also would like it or something easily applied like it, for door jams and stuff like that. I always forget to do them when doing Zaino.
    I did receive the OCW order just yesterday. I have not had a chance to do anything with it, and probaly won`t until the weekend. Well, maybe i`ll break down and try it out tonight or tomorrow night...we`ll see. My folks are in town, and i may use there old Buick lesabre as a test bed for my first PC experience. It`s a light tan color too, so I shouldn`t be able to screw anything up too badly.

As a side note as well...what do yo guys recommend for glass cleaner, both inside and out?

Post Thanks / Like

Been using Stoner`s invisible glass and it works very well IMO.

Going to give the PC a good test run this week on my buddies black grand prix GTP. Will be my first real whole car experience with the PC, including the Menzerna product line, IP and FPII, topped with Zaino z2pro.

Post Thanks / Like

Only because i`m really just getting started, when i get to do my Jeep, i`m going to just use the thre Optimum products and see if i`m happy or not. I may end up getting some Souveran to bring out the black, as Mike suggested. I`ll have to play it by ear as i go. I don`t look forward to claying the jeep, as it`s surfaces are a pain in the ass, but i guess its a necessary evil.

Can i find Stoner`s locally, or do i need to order it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SailRace
    Can i find Stoner`s locally, or do i need to order it?
    Stoner`s IG can be found at any local auto parts store and even at Target or Wal-Mart. It is one of the best over the counter glass cleaners out there.

If you decide to wetsand those scratches start with the 3K grit first and make as few passes as possible as the paint is very thin on that hood (I had already noticed a spot of failure from either sap or a bird bomb on the both the hood and the roof). Use the Optimum Compound via PC to remove the haze and check your work often. Try to get them within 75% of what you are happy with...if you decide to remove them completely you will compromise your clear without question. By this time next year you will begin to see failure.

Call me before you start the sanding process and I`ll walk you through it if you`d like.
    Mike
    Owner/Operator

Post Thanks / Like

To follow up on what Mike said about stoners. I got my first bottle at Wal-mart but it was in the aersol can type spray and I found it quite annoying since the overspray for me was hard to control and it went everywhere. I even tried spraying onto a MF towel first.

I then found the IG at pepboys in a spray trigger type bottle and it is MUCH MUCH MUCH easier to control the pattern. Just my $.02.

P.S. to not waste the IG, I gave the bottle of aersol spray to the wife for inside cleaning duties.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Clean WS6
    ...if you decide to remove them completely you will compromise your clear without question. By this time next year you will begin to see failure.

Call me before you start the sanding process and I`ll walk you through it if you`d like.
    Mike, I porbably will give you a call. I`m waiting on the sand paper to arrive now, so possibly this weekend....I may, as I`ve said, leave the weekend for the Jeep, and test out my PC skills first, before attacking the Volvo. I`m frustrated that the previous owner was so careless, but every time i get behind the wheel, and am able to sneak bast BMW and Audi owners who aren`t used to seeing someone DRIVE a volvo wagon, it all seems worth it again. I do love the car.

As for the Clearcoat failure. Is this an inevitable problem, or, if i continue to upkeep and protect the paint, can it be resolved, delayed or prevented in anyway. What will the failure end up looking like?

Mike, once again...i just can`t commend you enough on how much help you`ve been, and on the advice you`ve given about taking care of this car. You truly are a gentleman...

Post Thanks / Like

I posted another thread on the Black Grand Prix I did today. First time with the PC, have fun with it and go SLOW, take your time. I learned alot today. I also learned I don`t like my Menzerna products!!!

Mike I may have a job for you. My boss needs some work done on his Acura MDX. Looks as if the wife drove through paint or something because its splattered downt he passenger side. Told him to try to clay it, and explained how to do it, but he said it didn`t work. I will talk to him tomorrow and give him your contact info.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information