Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Paint!

Post Thanks / Like
    Accumulator, any tips on wet sanding? I may just do this myself, can`t be too hard eh?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    I`m not familiar with the 2180,is it a sealant? I`ve never received a good explanation of how a sealant can permit outgassing so I just stick with the glazes. The logic behind such claims eludes me and IMHO that`s always a pretty good clue as it`s not like I can`t follow the reasoning behind this stuff

Remember to take anything a vendor tells you with a grain of salt...it`s not *their* paint that might not attain maximum hardness
    Thanks for your help. I guess I will stay with the Megs 5. After 90 days I will give Scottwax a call and let him do his magic!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by djerickd
    Accumulator, any tips on wet sanding? I may just do this myself, can`t be too hard eh?

Not too hard conceptually but people tend to get in over their heads when it comes to actually *doing* it.

Only use Meguiar`s Unigrit 3K. Follow the directions and know what you`re doing before you start (don`t just spend a few minutes on this, actually *study* it). Inspect after *every* stroke. Quit before you want to, you`ll be glad you did. Follow with something aggressive enough to remove the 3K scratches and remember that this product will take off a fair amount of clear too, and will require even more polishing with a milder product.

Ignore all the above and just don`t do it I`m serious.

I can`t count the times people have botched this up, so while many folks do it, I really hesitate to recommend it. In almost every case, I`d say "better thick but imperfect clear than drastic measures like this". Just because somebody else has done something with good results, that doesn`t mean everybody oughta try it.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks I`m going to stop by Proper Auto Care/Classic Motoring Accesories ( http://properautocare.com/ ) in Tampa today at lunch I`ll have the guys take a look and see what they think. I`ve watched the bodyshop guys do it and it seems pretty straightforward, sand then buff out... I had them touch up a few spots from the last time they painted the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by djerickd
    I`ve watched the bodyshop guys do it and it seems pretty straightforward..

Heh heh, I`ve watched guys do surgery, and that looked pretty straightforward too

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL, oh yeah no problem I could do that too! haha!

Well I stopped by CMA and talked to the GM, Phil, he reccomended the best body shop in town (Gene Perez body repairs, inc.) take a look at the OP, they told me that the car looks good and that if they sanded it it would look like glass and wouldn`t match the rest of the car, he wanted to respray it then match it to the next panel, but he reccomended I "save my money, get it out of my mind, and don`t worry about it since I am the ONLY one who would notice it" since it truly isn`t THAT bad. I guess I`ll just live with it...

CMA (Phil) did suggest Menzerna products for my silver metallic car and told me about hitting the slight peel with a mild Menzerna abrasive to knock it down a little vs. taking the plunge with the 2000-3000 grit.

Post Thanks / Like
    The "live with it" advice sounds very good.

I dunno about polishing it...I`ve never been able to knock down OP in b/c that way, only on soft single stage. But a bit of polishing probably won`t be a bad idea anyhow.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ll get some pics soon so you can see...

Post Thanks / Like
    Here`s a couple of the mild OP:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah, that`s not much, if any, worse than the OP on my Audis (A8 and S8). If cars in that price range have it...

No way would I mess with that. I`d just polish it up nice and shiny (which will make the OP look even worse ) and keep it protected.

Post Thanks / Like
    I need to call the body shop ("Quality auto body" - lol) back in Tallahassee that did the work, it`s obvious they missed this area because there`s trash in the clear including a red fiber from one of those shop towels...

Post Thanks / Like
    They said start with 3000 grit (only more if needed, but this should be "safe") then Trizact polish or Finesse-It.

I think after my paint is cured I`m going to go with the Menzerna One-Step Acrylic Jacket and call it a day...

finally got a Grit-Guard today...

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d use something with more cut to remove 3K sanding scratches and I`ve never had good luck with the TriZact (but then I didn`t try too hard either). IIRC, Bence found the TriZact to be full of fillers.

I`d leave it alone if I were you, IMO you might open a can of worms and they`d say it`s all your fault. There are worse things than orange peel and even contamination in the paint. At some point it`s time to say "enough" and just move on (I finally said that on my S8 and IMO its repairs from the deer incident really suck, but hey, life is short).

Post Thanks / Like
    True, have you tried Monzerna products?

Post Thanks / Like
    Only the FPI. Not bad but I liked the (apparently discontinued) 1Z Pro MP better.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information