Post Thanks / Like

Yamaha Wolverine - UTV

I ran over to my parents house today and looked at his latest purchase, a 2016 Yamaha Wolverine side by side.

Now, the previous owner used it as it should be used, no issues there. Its pretty clean and low miles. But if any of you that do ride trails know branches happen. Branches cause scraps and scratches. This thing has some.

Now, has anyone attempted to polish the plastics on something like this and if so, what products did you use?

I have LC pads and Meguiars Ultimate products. Is there any reason why I cant just polish it with a white pad? Just not sure if I will make something worse that isnt "terrible".

Just hoping someone has encountered this before.

TIA

KM

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Yamaha Wolverine - UTV

Anybidy have any ideas if a white pad and megs up will make things worse?

KM

Post Thanks / Like

From my experience ATV/UTV plastics are just solid color plastic with no clear coat or film other than stickers. My guess is that polishing won`t do muck if the scraps and scratches are anything you can feel or catch with a finger nail. But it might help[ only way to find out is to try.
    Likes LEDetailng liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TroyScherer View Post
    From my experience ATV/UTV plastics are just solid color plastic with no clear coat or film other than stickers. My guess is that polishing won`t do muck if the scraps and scratches are anything you can feel or catch with a finger nail. But it might help[ only way to find out is to try.
    This was the response I was most hoping to not get but had thought of as a chance. I have never had any sort of "luck" when playin around with polishing my snowmobile but at the same time I never had the "tools" at my disposal either.

Thanks for the reply and giving me an idea as to what I am up agains.

KM

Post Thanks / Like

I’d treat this UTV like a piece of equipment. Keep it clean, washed, maintained, and maybe a spray wax and call it good. I wouldn’t worry about the scratches. Like you said there are branches on the trails and there will be more scratches after your parents enjoy riding. Maybe look at getting a brush guard for your parents to somewhat protect the front plastic.

I was very particular with my kids toys (at first). Power wheels and other car type things. Then you watch them play with the toys and it is more enjoyable to just let them enjoy the toy instead of worrying about scratches. Now the actual cars are a different story. My kids were taught just like me. No touching the paint, no garden hose spraying, etc
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Injection-molded plastic will not "polish out. If it was gel-coated fiberglass, you`d still need a rotary polishing machine and microfiber pads to "attempt" to correct it. You can try polishing it with what you have, but don`t expect a Concourse D`Elegance-ready finish. Shiny scratches would be more like it.
    GB detailer

Thread Information