Post Thanks / Like

Griots Garage BOSS polishes my motorhome like a ......boss.

Usually once a year I take on the challenge of a full detail on my personal motorhome. It is a 2008 (I got it in 2007 so this summer makes it 10 years old but taking good care of it means it doesn`t look that old.

First. I started with a Foam Cannon and completely sprayed it down.

Then I completely washed everything using a long extension pole with a microfiber pad mounted on it. After washing everything and rinsing I moved to clay the surface while it was wet. I used Griots garage Speed Shine and their Fine Surface Prep mitt. IF you have not tried this mitt you really should. Although the mitt is about 2X the price of a traditional clay bar kit, it actually lasts a lot longer. I have had this mitt about 2 years and its still going strong so on a cost per use, it is actually way less expensive.

After removing all the bonded surface contaminants I dried the paint with a large waffle weave microfiber towel. Next it was time to polish the paint. This was my first time using the Griots BOSS system so I started with the Correcting cream and the matching pad which is the orange correcting pad. I don`t have the BOSS buffer but rather the original 6" Orbital buffer also from Griots and it worked great but I am sure the newer and longer throw. BOSS versions would even be better.

I also tried the Perfecting cream and its mating pad as well and found both polishes to be super easy to work with.They seem to tolerate varied amounts of polishing without drying up and turning to dust so I could polish as long as needed to get the desired amount of correction. Then when removing the polish it wiped off easily without any hints of dusting.

After polishing I could already tell that the paint was very smooth and it looked great.

Next I moved on to a final sealant and I used the BOSS sealant that also contains a mild polishing agent to clean up those last remaining surface defects if any plus a really good sealant to protect the paint.

When I factor in the roof cleaning plus the awnings and slide covers that are all included in my annual detailing project it takes me a full two days of 8-10 hours per day. At 54 years of age that is about all I can do and I am exhausted doing this all by myself. Due to the height there is a lot of climbing up and down a tall ladder which only adds to the workout.

Overall I am very happy with the outcome and now the cover goes on the coach to keep it protected as much as possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griots Garage BOSS polishes my motorhome like a ......boss.

Looks great--better than new. One question---do you have a son or son-in-law you might be able to recruit to help?????? LOL
    Jay

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that`s a lot of work but the end result is well worth the effort. Great job, looks really nice.

Post Thanks / Like

No son (or daughter) therefore no son in law to help. I was supposed to have a hired helper for a day in which case I think it could have been done in one long day. My plan was to have this helper work behind me wiping down as I ran the buffer but he couldn`t make it. I guess in the long run I saved some money and got a good workout in the process too.

Post Thanks / Like

Great work! Do you worry about compounding and polishing every year and the amount of paint you have left? I would imagine you could just get away with the finishing sealant year and cut down on the amount of paint you are removing.

Post Thanks / Like

That`s awesome man. That`s A LOT of real estate to cover. Looks great.

Post Thanks / Like

I have thought about the paint thickness though I don`t have a way of measuring. I should have specified that each year`s detail doesn`t always include polishing/correcting. Depending on the condition I sometimes use an AIO type product such as the ONE STEP Sealant or in the past I think I used only a sealant depending on the condition. This year I had used a brush mounted on a pole for cleaning and I feel as if it induced some paint swirls, scratches so I have stopped using it. Even though it was an expensive boars bristle brush I don`t think it is as soft as a microfiber. The brush does a much better job of cleaning because it can get around all the obstacles like recessed windows, awning arms, slideout covers etc. but if its gonna cause scratches its not worth it so I went back to a mitt style mounted on a pole

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldnt be mad about those results! Lookin good.
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe

Post Thanks / Like

all that hard work really paid off. I think I would give some of the new sio2 spray on rinse off products a try with that beast.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tropicsteve View Post
    all that hard work really paid off. I think I would give some of the new sio2 spray on rinse off products a try with that beast.
    Funny you mention that. I played with Reload today but I used it dry with a wipe on wipe off process. It looks nice for sure.

Thread Information