Post Thanks / Like

Advice needed on fifth wheel projects

Hey guys! I`ve got a client that is in need of having two 40foot fifth wheel campers cleaned, and protected.
    I don`t have a way of puting them in my shop so they will be done in as much shade as possible. My question is. What products would you guys recommend me use for protection? I want something that could stand up to almost a year, so I don`t have to do them again in 6 months. I believe they will be gel coat, and they do have a lot of vynil decals. I am going to inspect them later today to see exactly what Im going to be working with.
    I usualy turn these down because I don`t want to do them, but this couple have been great customers, and I don`t want Them to send these off to get hacked on by the local butcher.
    Any advice on wash, and protecting products are much apriciated.
    Thanks everyone!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Advice needed on fifth wheel projects

PB polish w carnuba for the rig

protein bars and gator ade for you
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome Ron! I love the suggestions. I was looking at pb Polish with sealant. The only thing I am wondering about is the durability and longevity of pb Polish with sealant , and polish with carnauba. As long as I can get close to a year /more than 5ish months of protection I`ll be happy. These campers are their hunting rigs, so protection will supersede "pop".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klock View Post
    Awesome Ron! I love the suggestions. I was looking at pb Polish with sealant. The only thing I am wondering about is the durability and longevity of pb Polish with sealant , and polish with carnauba. As long as I can get close to a year /more than 5ish months of protection I`ll be happy. These campers are their hunting rigs, so protection will supersede "pop".
    PWS worries me a little since most of em are gel coat. Sometimes gel coat can absorb some color of wax/sealant, and pws is orange, pwc is cream color, so no problem. as far as longevity, your mileage may vary. but imho pws will last onger
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

DG 601/111, wash with DG No Rinse with Aqua Wax an application of straight AW once in a while doesn`t hurt also. DG 111 has no cleaning and is a pure sealant so the base needs to be good to begin with. To get rid of the oxidation I used 3M super duty, a rotary and wool pad then applied 111 with a green foam and a DA. Those are the products I use on my 32` 5ver as I am 61 now and once a year is all I can handle on that beast anymore.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I use Carpro HydrO2 on RVs that dont need to be polished. As long as you are working in the shade, it works great and is SO much faster and easier than applying anything by hand or machine.

Post Thanks / Like

on the protection side, DP Poli-Coat sealant claims a year of protection. Easy on, easy off.
    I used it on a friends car of mine after full correction. (outside 24/7, orlando, FL, Tuxedo Black Ford Fusion--so far so good, probably 7 months currently)

and I do not know much about gel coat--but if what Ron said was true about sometimes gel coat absorbing color, DP Poli is a cream/white color so shouldn`t be an issue either

Post Thanks / Like

Pop up tent and hydro2, YOU WILL THANK YOURSELF, REGARDLESS OF THE COST OF THE TENT.
    Likes mrclean81 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you guys for the suggestions! I was able to check them out this evening, and found that they aren`t to bad. One is white with a lot of vinyl decals. It is in pretty dang good shape. Almost no real defects. the other is a black and gold paint job, and it has the regular love marks and a few brush marks, but nothing so serious it`s unsightly (for a hunting rig anyway).
    I think I may get dp poli coat sealant (I`ve been wanting to try it anyways),and use it if I can stay in the shade. They have many tall trees so if I time it rite I should be in the shade for the majority of the time. If not I will use some pb exp sealant, or polish with carnauba. Either way I go I will hit it with my favorite hydro 2 in maybe 4-6 months. Then possibly once more to help get it till about this time next year. Does that sound like it`ll work? I know I`ve heard of gel coat absorbing color from products before but can`t think of where. Does anybody have any experience with this that may be helpful? Well heck any advice on working with gel coat will be helpful.

Thread Information