Post Thanks / Like
    Lately I have been getting requests for RV washing and waxing. To those experienced in RV`s, how do you go about attacking one. I have some idea , but not sure if there are more efficient ways. Also, how are you all washing and waxing the roofs on these things?

Post Thanks / Like
    From doing our own small, 24` coach twice a year I would tell you to say thanks but no thanks to anyone who ask for a rv detail, no market would tolerate what you would have to charge to make even half your regular rate.

These are the pitfalls (hopefully you won`t!, fall that is) height, roof construction and the fact that almost all spend their entire lives outdoors.

I think that the biggest time eater is doing the roof. Even with staging and planking I can spend a full 5 hours doing our roof and it is dimpled fiberglass as compared to an epdm or rubber roof. With ours it only requires the same products that are used on the sidewall, rubber roofs need additional cleaners and protectants and a lot of additional time. With our previous rv, rubber roof, a full day was needed to brush clean and treat the roof.

Most importantly you need to realize that rv construction practices are horrific at best and the roof is usually the worst of the worst-I would never walk without plywood covered with carpeting on ANY rv, even if the roof is represented as being `fully walkable`. Many times I have heard of people ripping the rubber membrane simply by walking on the roof and turning-the membrane is paper thin and if you don`t get quickly into the habit of lifting your feet before you turn, the odds are that you will at least separate the membrane from the luan underneath, or more likely, that on older units, you will rip the rubber.

You MUST be certain that your insurance covers this type of vehicle AND your working well off the ground-I guarantee you that you will hear; "but we never had any roof leaks BEFORE you walked all over the top".

But it gets better; some sidewalls are painted fiberglass, and some are painted gel coat fiberglass-different stuff requiring different stuff..

Like I said I have a small coach, only 9`8" off the ground and it takes me a full day and a half to wash, clay, wash, and use the Twins- x`s 3 on the roof and x`s 2 on the rest of the coach.

I suppose you may find someone who is willing to pay a fair price, but I doubt it- PLUS rv people are alot like private aircraft folk-as the length gets longer (or the knots get higher) the attitude increases at a factor of 10.

Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Eesssh. I have an appraisal tomorrow...I`m going to have to seriously consider taking on this one ( i think its 42`).
    David Bibiloni

Tailored Automotive Detailing

Drive with Distinction

Post Thanks / Like
    i charge $15 per foot, wash only! i have found most around my area will pay with no problems. i have one i am going to install solar panels on, lol talk about a change of pace

Post Thanks / Like
    advs1, I wish you well with the solar install.

Select your fastening method with great care and be sure to leave sufficient space under the panels for air circulation, of course it goes without saying that you cannot be too anal with regard to the National, Industry and local electrical codes.

For instance, I use `Sta Kon` wire terminals because the connection is UL certified with my Swiss made full cycle ratchet crimper only with this brand of terminal-piece of mind is expensive.

Without exception all complaints I hear about solar performance fall into the same category, not enough juice to run this or that, consumers simply don`t understand the relationship between their battery `bank` and solar system performance.

FYI, the going rate for a `real` rv detail in my area is $48 per foot-not using ONR, sorry but I couldn`t resist.

So DTailor your 40 footer would run in the neighborhood of 2large, not a bad hood to hang in huh?, see what I mean about the market not supporting a viable figure?

Thread Information