Post Thanks / Like
    Just picked up this 2002 R1150RT to replace the 1998 R1100RT that I totalled about six weeks ago. This bike was mechanically sound, had just over 40K miles but cosmetically looked drab and dingy. In fact, I believe that`s why the seller didn`t get the price the bike deserved...just because it showed it had been ridden and mechanically maintained but just had not been loved

I wish I had taken befores, because the bike really looks like night and day. The wheels were completely covered in brake dust and tar, the exhaust pipe had red surface oxidation and was extremely black at the exit. The paint was just dull, drab, and dingy. Really cleaned up nice for a 7 year old bike with over 40K miles.

Wheels cleaned with Amazing Roll Off, steam cleaner, and PB`s Pro Polish, finished with KSG.

Ehxaust got 0000 steal wool, Nevr-Dull, and finished with NXT metal polish.

Paint got washed and clayed, then the Klasse Twins.

All work done by hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice job on a Killer bike!

I have one of them! 2004 RTP I have White sides and the Cop Black and White ones! Bike rides forever and I never in a Million years though folks would walk up and tell I had a great looking bike! But man they do ! LOL I just wanted LONG distance!

Have fun!

bd
    Attached Images Attached Images
    OK she not the best Detailer! but SOOOO !

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are able to have but one BMW is simply must be the GS-but someday I also will acquire a RT.

I believe that I do see the abs ring on the front tire ??

How far away from 129 are you, close enough so that this perhaps is why you had to get another ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasC
    If you are able to have but one BMW is simply must be the GS-but someday I also will acquire a RT.

I believe that I do see the abs ring on the front tire ??

How far away from 129 are you, close enough so that this perhaps is why you had to get another ?

If you`re referring to Tail of the Dragon I`m a good 3 hours from there.

Yes I have ABS, and my model also has integrated/power assist braking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bdspler
    Nice job on a Killer bike!

I have one of them! 2004 RTP I have White sides and the Cop Black and White ones! Bike rides forever and I never in a Million years though folks would walk up and tell I had a great looking bike! But man they do ! LOL I just wanted LONG distance!

Have fun!

bd

Is yours a converted RTP or a white RT? Looks great in any case.

People either seem to love or hate the look of these bikes. When I had a black one, the kids in my neighborhood used to call be Batman as I rode by :LOLOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Its a Convert! Got it from a man is So FL. with 6200 miles on her.

so I put a second seat! and off we went! After a clutch at my first service!

and it was under warrenty ! No problems at all!

I have put 40k in 2 yrs!

When I get gas I have young ladys, harley guys ! all tyles tell me it is a good looking bike! ......I allways say thanks but its just a cop bike.

But she does shinne

: ) bd
    OK she not the best Detailer! but SOOOO !

Post Thanks / Like
    sm, could you share the story on the totaled bike?, no injuries I hope.

Post Thanks / Like
    sm, could you share the story on the totaled bike?, no injuries I hope.

It was a year ago almost to the week... I was on my way to work about 6:45 in the morning so it was still fairly dark. This car driver coming from the other direction decided to take a left turn into a gas station right in front of me. He told me later he was only pulling in to buy some GUM. He must have been looking into the gas station where he wanted to go because obviously he was not looking at oncoming traffic. He cut directly into my path, probably only 25 feet in front of me so there was not enough time to avoid him and I T-boned him squarely into his passenger door. I was probably only doing 30-35MPH but I bounced off his car, did a little flip, and hit the pavement. I didn`t hit extremely hard, but I do remember my head glancing his car and then bouncing the pavement and I remember telling myself I was glad to be wearing a helmet. The bike hit the car and sort of bounced straight back, while I sort of launched over the trunk of the car as he rolled through.

The entire front of my bike was demolished, so three of us picked up the front end and rolled the bike on its rear wheel to get it off the road. I had it towed to the local BMW bike shop, but they refused to even accept it off the flatbed.

Other than my entire side being bruised and a few scrapes, the biggest injury was some ligament damage to my knee but only a sprain. No broken bones or tears so I avoided surgery. Did PT for about 3 months, and it was about 6 months until I fully stopped limping. Today I`m pretty much fully recovered, but doing certain activities where I push on my knee funny I can tell it will never be 100% again. I`m not so young so I don`t heal like I used to

Post Thanks / Like
    Good to read that you are on the mend, very glad to read that you had a helmet on.

South Carolina is one of the wacky States that mandate seat belt use-a PRIMARY offense now for not being restrained!-yet will allow people over 21 to ride without a helmet, insane when you think about it.

We never saw the attraction to riding without a helmet (and earplugs) on, or for that matter, not wearing jackets and gauntlet gloves either-one wasp going under the cuff and up my arm was quite enough.

I am -nearly- at the point where I cannot defend anyones right to be stupid anymore, nearly that is.... Where I have completely changed my stance is with loud pipes, that has gotten out of control, way out of control.

Thanks for sharing the experience, I believe that reading the accounts of accidents does have a lot of benefits and I do hope that the driver was cited....

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing the experience, I believe that reading the accounts of accidents does have a lot of benefits and I do hope that the driver was cited....

The other driver was cited by the police officer at the scene and his insurance paid for all my medical bills and property loss. However, he`s not the one who was limping around for half a year. At least I wasn`t seriously injured or killed. It was an accident, I hold no personal malice toward the other driver.

As they say, when it comes to these types of accidents it`s not so important who is right as who is left :werd:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by smprince1
    It was a year ago almost to the week... I was on my way to work about 6:45 in the morning so it was still fairly dark. This car driver coming from the other direction decided to take a left turn into a gas station right in front of me. He told me later he was only pulling in to buy some GUM. He must have been looking into the gas station where he wanted to go because obviously he was not looking at oncoming traffic. He cut directly into my path, probably only 25 feet in front of me so there was not enough time to avoid him and I T-boned him squarely into his passenger door. I was probably only doing 30-35MPH but I bounced off his car, did a little flip, and hit the pavement. I didn`t hit extremely hard, but I do remember my head glancing his car and then bouncing the pavement and I remember telling myself I was glad to be wearing a helmet. The bike hit the car and sort of bounced straight back, while I sort of launched over the trunk of the car as he rolled through.

The entire front of my bike was demolished, so three of us picked up the front end and rolled the bike on its rear wheel to get it off the road. I had it towed to the local BMW bike shop, but they refused to even accept it off the flatbed.

Other than my entire side being bruised and a few scrapes, the biggest injury was some ligament damage to my knee but only a sprain. No broken bones or tears so I avoided surgery. Did PT for about 3 months, and it was about 6 months until I fully stopped limping. Today I`m pretty much fully recovered, but doing certain activities where I push on my knee funny I can tell it will never be 100% again. I`m not so young so I don`t heal like I used to

we r looking for a campsite in or near newquay that is easy to get to with the bug

and maybe has a nice cycle trail near it

any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like
    Sesquicentennial State Park, near Dentville ??

Thread Information